Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Didn't see a discussion for this so thought I'd start one. 

Any thoughts, people going to be watching? I don't follow rugby beyond the five nations and world cups, so have no idea what's going on. I noticed Ireland are world no. 1 though I can't see them winning it. I've just got France in the company sweepstake, so they definitely won't be winning!

Comments

• edited September 2019
    ireland have been extremely poor leading up to it, we hammered them at twickenham, oddly quite like the early kick offs as body clock is used to work am usually awake at 6 on a saturday morning, so something to watch.  

• really looking forward to this .. Wales off to a bad start .. Rob Howley, a long standing coach and Gatland ally has been sent home to face 'irregular betting activity charges' .. the tournament is wide open .. however I expect the usual suspects, New Zealand, South Africa, England and Australia to get to the semis .. if the draw allows that is
  • I am sure there is a thread for the previous rugby World Cup. Shouldn’t we be using that one?
  • I am sure there is a thread for the previous rugby World Cup. Shouldn’t we be using that one?
    I am sure there is a thread for the previous rugby World Cup. Shouldn’t we be using that one?

why? .. 
  • Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol
  • looking at the groups ( teams i think will go through in bold )

pool A
    Ireland
    Japan
    Scotland
    Russia
    Samoa

pool B
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    Italy
    Namibia
    Canada

pool C
    england
    france
    argentina 
    Tonga
    USA

Pool D
    Australia
    Wales
    Uruguay
    Fiji
    georgia

using the above our route would be 

1/4 final england vs australia

semi final england vs new zealand/japan

final england vs ireland/wales

anyone interested in doing there own. 

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/bracket

• Not over bothered by Rugby these days (I seem to watch it less than I used to) but will be watching a bit. A fair number of games are on Saturday and Sunday morning which is quite convenient
    I am sure there is a thread for the previous rugby World Cup. Shouldn’t we be using that one?

why? .. 
    It was a joke....I have a long running issue with old threads being reused E.G. when the new thread for the Vuelta 2019 was closed because there was already a thread for the Vuelta from last year.
  • edited September 2019
    I've backed SA & England, as NZ are too short odds

New Zealand

11/8
    South Africa4/1
    England9/2
    Ireland9/1
    Wales10/1
    Australia14/1
    France33/1
    Argentina50/1
    Scotland66/1
    Japan150/1 
  • I've backed SA & England, as NZ are too short odds

New Zealand

11/8
    South Africa4/1
    England9/2
    Ireland9/1
    Wales10/1
    Australia14/1
    France33/1
    Argentina50/1
    Scotland66/1
    Japan150/1 
    Oz at 14/1 is a decent e.w. punt .. they recently hammered the ABs, admittedly they were in turn hammered in the rematch .. Oz has gone down the path of recruiting even more south sea islanders .. if it were not for the continual poaching by the rich nations, Tonga, Samoa and especially Fiji would be VERY formidable  
  • Sponsored links:

• Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol
    often games between the 'smaller' teams are great to watch. They tend to lack the brute force and power, the speed and organisation of the 'big' nations and there is more fluency, less rucking at breakdowns and more 'breaks' from runners in open spaces .. we will see
  • I wonder how much of an upset (or how many) Japan will be this time.
  • I might watch the final if England make it.
  • I dont understand why/how England can face Australia in Quarters if they both win their group.
  • Had a bet with this Welsh fella... seemed VERY knowledgeable!
  • I dont understand why/how England can face Australia in Quarters if they both win their group.
    They wouldnt, if both win their group England would play Wales(most likely) in quarters
  • Not a fan of rugby really, but when you put World Cup infront of something I immediately find it more interesting. Will watch if it’s on.
  • Not a fan of rugby really, but when you put World Cup infront of something I immediately find it more interesting. Will watch if it’s on.
    Not a fan of rugby really, but when you put World Cup infront of something I immediately find it more interesting. Will watch if it’s on.

good news .. it's free !!  .. on ITV
  • Interesting article on the Beeb .. but beware, the headline could have been taken from before the two previous World Cups .. the ABs won both

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49678113

• Despite Ireland being No.1 they have a lot of work to get to the final, especially as they have never got past the 1/4 final stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    One of my preferred drinking places has emailed this out in the last couple of days...

"RUGBY WORLD CUP.
    Starting Friday 20th September.

The countdown to the Rugby World Cup is on and when you sup with us, pints mean prizes!

Buy 10 pints from our rugby range during any match and you’ll be in with a chance of winning scrum-thing special with hundreds of prizes up for play.

Pick up a Rugby Loyalty Card in one of our Brakspear pubs and once you’ve filled up with stamps, send them our way.

We’ve also got a special scrum-ptious bottomless breakfast offer including unlimited Brakspear Gravity, Prosecco, Mimosas or Bloody Marys for just £15, kicking off each match day the right way.*"

Given the games start at about 8am, you've got to be keen to get through ten pints in an hour and a half at that time of day. I'll stick with the unlimited Brakspear breakfast...
  • IdleHans said:
    One of my preferred drinking places has emailed this out in the last couple of days...

"RUGBY WORLD CUP.

The countdown to the Rugby World Cup is on and when you sup with us, pints mean prizes!

Buy 10 pints from our rugby range during any match and you’ll be in with a chance of winning scrum-thing special with hundreds of prizes up for play.

Pick up a Rugby Loyalty Card in one of our Brakspear pubs and once you’ve filled up with stamps, send them our way.

We’ve also got a special scrum-ptious bottomless breakfast offer including unlimited Brakspear Gravity, Prosecco, Mimosas or Bloody Marys for just £15, kicking off each match day the right way.*"

Given the games start at about 8am, you've got to be keen to get through ten pints in an hour and a half at that time of day. I'll stick with the unlimited Brakspear breakfast...

England is something like 11:30 am on sunday so not too bad for the ten pint challenge , unfortunately Scotland V Ireland is 8:45 so probably watch that at home although Mrs 123 is Irish so we will easily smash a case of beers
  • I've backed SA & England, as NZ are too short odds

New Zealand

11/8
    South Africa4/1
    England9/2
    Ireland9/1
    Wales10/1
    Australia14/1
    France33/1
    Argentina50/1
    Scotland66/1
    Japan150/1 
    Australia and Wales are good each way bets as one or the other should avoid the potential England/NZ side of the draw and Ireland usually choke at the QF stage. 
  • Probably not worth me putting a cash bet on France to accompany my sweepstake then? They are always a team who can get to the semis on a good day
    FIFA world cup
    RUGBY world cup

Shouldnt World Cup go after something? ;)
  • IdleHans said:

"RUGBY WORLD CUP.

England is something like 11:30 am on sunday so not too bad for the ten pint challenge , unfortunately Scotland V Ireland is 8:45 so probably watch that at home although Mrs 123 is Irish so we will easily smash a case of beers
    Surely that is 10 pints in total during any games not 10 pints in one game 
  • MrOneLung said:
    IdleHans said:

"RUGBY WORLD CUP.

Surely that is 10 pints in total during any games not 10 pints in one game 
    some pubs are opening early doors and you can book a table for breakfast etc so thought it was a case of trying to get groups in and any group of 3+ could do 10 pints easy
  • McBobbin said:
    Probably not worth me putting a cash bet on France to accompany my sweepstake then? They are always a team who can get to the semis on a good day
    I'm with palarsehater on this one, think Argentina and England could put them out in the group stage. 
  • McBobbin said:
    Probably not worth me putting a cash bet on France to accompany my sweepstake then? They are always a team who can get to the semis on a good day
    I'm with palarsehater on this one, think Argentina and England could put them out in the group stage.

I'm not going to disagree. I was in Argentina in 2007 when the beat France... Twice! (Not that many people cared)