Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Angerstein - new away pub

edited September 2019 in General Charlton

Being offered by the police as the new away pub. Fair old walk from the station

Am i right thinking its run by a Millwall fella?

Comments

• https://twitter.com/MPSFootballUnit/status/1172439050243829761
    Birmingham supporters travelling to Charlton tomorrow- new away pub since you were last here- The Angerstein Hotel, 108 Woolwich Road, SE10 0LE will cater for all away supporters pre-match. Safe journeys down #@bcfc #@wmpbcfc #cafc #bcfc
  • Oh great, about 300 metres from my house. Loss of old bill there last game as well. 
  • edited September 2019

Being offered as the police as the new away pub. Fair old walk from the station

Am i right thinking its run by a Millwall fella?

fair old walk to the ground too although for the away end I guess its what 10-12 mins? Station is Westcombe park, also bus from o2
  • When you come out of the pub, cross the road on the other side and jump a bus. Don't get a 199.  Buses are fairly regular, I live in Greenwich and I get a 180 or 177 from Greenwich to Charlton. 
  • Horrible pub.
  • This won't end well.
  • edited September 2019
    PopIcon said:
    Horrible pub.
    Sounds like a good choice for any of those who bricked and stoned us in the past then 😈.
  • 100% Millwall pub, gonna end in tears that
  • edited September 2019
    100% Millwall pub, gonna end in tears that
    Think i better pop over to the Leeds forum and tell them  >:)
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah millwall pub they opened up when all the others were closed when we played millwall a few years back - shithole from the outside - never been in. 
  • It is it Si about a 10-15 min walk to the away end, or it’s a 3 minute walk to westcombe park station and 1 stop on the train to Charlton. 

Hopefully police will also be staffing Westcombe Park because a few hundred blues fans all trying to squeeze on the last couple of trains before the game could be a problem. 

And yeah its a rubbish pub
  • edited September 2019
    imagine most large followings this season will be using London bridge for pre match. 

got a pal coming in from abroad for the leeds game, and he suggested meeting at london bridge think ill change location. 

in general match day pubs at charlton are pretty poor

the swan is okay - but pricey and stuffy regulars that seem to take offence that they do not have a chair 
    the bugle - never has enough staff 
    the oak - the pint of guinness in a coke glass was the last straw, dive 
    rose of denmark - never been

• wont be a Millwall pub on a matchday if you know what I mean..
  • Definitely have become short of matchday drinking venues. The Angerstein is a mile from the away end (i.e. 20 mins walk for those up to it). Probable that the police feel obliged to recommend somewhere as a means of containment for their 'element'.

Better cheaper facilities at the ground will happen one day surely, eventually, to cash-in on this match day drinking trade. 
  • Not away pubs but for decent home (with a few away fans) match day drinking:

River Ale House
    Anchor & Hope
    White Swan
    Pelton Arms
    Cutty Sark
    Pilot

None of the above that near the ground. The closest home (only) pubs being the Oak and the Rose of Denmark both of which will do you a fairly low grade pint of beer. personally would say the same about the Bugle Horn which is close to the Swan, has a pool table but not great beer. 

Good to have an away pub that caters for lots of lager away fans ideally near the ground. In the absence of that either at the ground or at London Bridge seem like better options for them 
  • Not sure that good news for those in the beer garden of the RoD if away support walks past 'en-masse'
  • edited September 2019
    imagine most large followings this season will be using London bridge for pre match. 

got a pal coming in from abroad for the leeds game, and he suggested meeting at london bridge think ill change location. 

the swan is okay - but pricey and stuffy regulars that seem to take offence that they do not have a chair 

At £3.80 a pint or thereabouts, I find the Swan about the most reasonable pub in London for some decent beers. In Tooting at the moment - big pre-match warm-up this weekend :) - and it's £4.90 a pint.

Like the Rose, but beer there and at the other two is never great anyway - Rose marginally better.
  • Where is the away pub for St Andrew's ?  The train station?  Let them walk 20 mins.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Locally known as 'The Pit'  - horrible pub, horrible landlord.
  • Went in there before our last game at your place. Got a massive wooden Millwall lion on the wall just behind the bar. 
  • 100% Millwall pub, gonna end in tears that
    Think i better pop over to the Leeds forum and tell them  >:)
    No need mate, sounds like ob are gonna shepherd them straight down there anyway 
  • Locally known as 'The Pit'  - horrible pub, horrible landlord.

It is at least 35 years since I've been in there - it was a shithole then.
  • imagine most large followings this season will be using London bridge for pre match. 

Don't forget the Anchor in Hope. Sit outside on a nice day and only 10 minute walk.
    used to go there a while ago now usually use the swan or blackheath
  • Plenty of away fans have started drink in Spoons in Greenwich by the DLR tube stop. Nearest spoons to the ground I think. 
  • edited September 2019
    Plenty of away fans have started drink in Spoons in Greenwich by the DLR tube stop. Nearest spoons to the ground I think. 
    Woolwich is about the same.
  • Plenty of away fans have started drink in Spoons in Greenwich by the DLR tube stop. Nearest spoons to the ground I think. 
    Woolwich is about the same.
    Plenty of options in Woolwich for a beer.  I don't know why more people don't go there before the game.