Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Sick Note XI

It's international week and although more suited to the pub, I open this discussion because I have no friends. There are those who were the next big things and were in the England squads but never really made it because of their injury records. I am child of the 90s but here is My 11 are there others who should be thrown in.

Chris Kirkland

Kieran Richardson
Ledley King
Jonathan Woodgate
Glen Johnson

Owen Hargreaves
Kieran Dyer
Darren Anderton
Jamie Redknapp

Francis Jeffers
Alan Smith

Comments

• Bit harsh on Glen Johnson, he got over 50 caps. Not sure he was injury prone? Just faded early. 

Owen would make it in later career but not sure you can put someone in with over 80 caps!

Modern day Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll are the two that spring to mind. Dean Ashton maybe?
  • Adam Lallana
  • Erm... Jack Wilshere?
  • Jack Wheelchair definitely. Carroll, Ashton, Sturbridge and Wellbeck - take your pick!
  • Clive Mendonca
  • Luke Shaw another one, can’t remember the last time he played for England or was available for two England games at one time.
  • Joe Cole
    Michael owen
  • Ryan Giggs played more games for Man Utd following an international match he missed through injury, than actual Wales caps he got.
  • Bench should be strong.
  • I find Wilshire's injury ravaged career a real shame. At 19-20 he was bossing Barcelona's midfield that contained Xavi and Iniesta! shame he didn't reach the potential he certainly had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sturridge definitely. The blokes made of glass.
  • Only played for the U21s, but Michael Johnson:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21088459
  • Micah Richards, alot of promise there..
    Agree he looked highly promising when he broke through. Not sure he was injury prone though, just dropped by City and then again in his final year at Villa he didn't play a single game I believe. 
    Agree he looked highly promising when he broke through. Not sure he was injury prone though, just dropped by City and then again in his final year at Villa he didn't play a single game I believe. 
    Three years at Villa since he played a competitive game. Rumoured to have been on £35K a week during that time.
  • Jack Wheelchair definitely. Carroll, Ashton, Sturbridge and Wellbeck - take your pick!
    Carroll and welbeck were quite possibly our best strike due in recent years. at least for that one game against Sweden.  
  • Only played for the U21s, but Michael Johnson:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21088459
    God id forgotten about him. He was supposed to be one for the future
  • edited September 2019
    There’s an obsession with personality players in this country, rather than players with ability  and fitness. Think of the Stevie Gritts and the Stevie Browns - these players who will be fit week in and week out, will always do a job, will always play the same way. These are the players you need to base your successful team on. Whereas for England, the personality player - say Lallana - it gets decided he is an England squad player, even though he is out injured and plays very few games. He’s only played 26 games for Liverpool since 2017 and is now 31, but in some people’s minds, he is still a young England player.