Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton 2019/2020

Didnt want to put this on the other thread as its got nothing to do with their finances and that thread is titled for money issues, so thought I would start a new one for anyone interested in how Bolton progress now their Takeover has been complete 

Comments

• Beating Bradford 1-0 in the Checkatrade Trophy ATM, their first goal since their 5-2 defeat to Rochdale in the EFL Cup
  • With Keith Hill and the 9 new signings they made, add to that how poor Southend, AFC Wimbledon look, if Bolton play well and one more team start struggling Bolton may still have a chance come January of surviving  
  • Beating Bradford 1-0 in the Checkatrade Trophy ATM, their first goal since their 5-2 defeat to Rochdale in the EFL Cup
    Finished 1-1

They lost 4-3 on penalties.

Still a massive improvement on previous games
  • 15 points off safety already it is going to be very tough. 
  • Amazing how many of those signed were names that Charlton had been linked with at various times - 

Craig Davies
    Chris O'Grady
    Will Buckley
    Liam Bridcutt

• With Keith Hill and the 9 new signings they made, add to that how poor Southend, AFC Wimbledon look, if Bolton play well and one more team start struggling Bolton may still have a chance come January of surviving  
    They need a miracle.

Already looking at needing something close to play off form to have a chance of surviving.
  • It'll be a great achievement but think it could be like Oxford last season

They looked dead and buried in the early stages but ended up in mid-table because it was so tight from about 10th down

If its similar this season (wont surprise me) then Bolton stand a good chance as teams can go on some awful runs

Get ahead of Wimbledon | Accrington | Southend could be achievable as they've not really played any teams expected to be down there other than Tranmere yet
    They need a miracle.

Already looking at needing something close to play off form to have a chance of surviving.
    I wouldnt say a miracle, 

40 games left
    11 points behind Southend
    12 behind Wimbledon
    15 behind Tranmere and Accrington.

If they can stay competitive until Jan and get more players in, I can see them having a chance
  • Sponsored links:

• they're apparently interested in signing Graham Dorrans after his release from his Rangers contract.
  • edited September 2019
    Bolton currently have squad limit of 23-players due to their Financial issues

Imagine that the EFL are being their usual bastards with these rules so imagine that includes any kids that have stepped up for the first-team

Wikipedia at the moment shows them with 40 players in their current squad so wont be surprised if they're no longer allowed to sign anyone

Edit: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-rebuild-mightve-begun-but-other-challenges-are-on-the-horizon-opinion/

Its only 23-Professional Contracts they're allowed to have
  • Going to be interesting to see if they can survive. Personally I hope they do and I'll be looking out for their results this season. Rather see GBH Wimbledon relegated!
  • they need to get close to 60/65 points out of the remainder of the season taking into effect there deficit. 

Coventry got 65 last season and finished 8th. so yes they need quite a good season. 

they are already 5 games in. 

think they will struggle. 
  • They are dead and buried imo, especially when they get a further deduction for not turning up for the Donny game. No sympathy for any teams that flout the rules. In the prem too long because they cheated. 
  • They are dead and buried imo, especially when they get a further deduction for not turning up for the Donny game. No sympathy for any teams that flout the rules. In the prem too long because they cheated. 
    is there a precedent of someone being deducted points that means the EFL cant not deduct points?

if not i reckon the EFL will let them off with a warning.
  • Not fair on the teams that have to play the new Bolton when teams that played them already played against the kids
  • Did they get punished for missing the Brentford game yet?
  • edited September 2019
    With Keith Hill and the 9 new signings they made, add to that how poor Southend, AFC Wimbledon look, if Bolton play well and one more team start struggling Bolton may still have a chance come January of surviving  
    They need a miracle.

I wouldnt say a miracle, 

40 games left
    11 points behind Southend
    12 behind Wimbledon
    15 behind Tranmere and Accrington.

If they can stay competitive until Jan and get more players in, I can see them having a chance
    39 games left.
    Already 16 points from safety. 
    Their squad isn't amazing.
    Still to be given their punishment for the final game of last season and postponing the Doncaster game at short notice a few weeks back.

Let's say a team needs 45 points to survive. They need 59 points from 39 games. It's a very tough ask.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting from a betting perspective since draws are no good to them at any stage.  It will be the alamo every game
  • from a betting perspective you could back them at 5/2 to get relegated mid july 
    is there a precedent of someone being deducted points that means the EFL cant not deduct points?

if not i reckon the EFL will let them off with a warning.
    absolute farce if so. Sets a precedent for teams picking when they can/can't play
  • from a betting perspective you could back them at 5/2 to get relegated mid july 
    The season finishes in May mate.
  • edited September 2019
    Interested in signing Joe Dodoo who's been released by Rangers...
  • Interested in signing Joe Dodoo who's been released by Rangers...
    Harsh... their fans have already been through enough
  • Saw my Bolton-supporting mate last night. He's just thankful they've got a team and he can finally buy a ticket. They're closing part of the ground (upper tier) for this season and his prediction was that they'd finish last in the division now Bury have been kicked out. 
  • If they avoid relegation it will be one of the biggest football stories of the season.
  • They have Rotherham, Oxford, Sunderland and Portsmouth as their next 4 games. Can't see many more points there.
  • edited September 2019
    Did they get punished for missing the Brentford game yet?
    No. Cheating bastards. In my mind they should be on -14 at the moment. Wont happen though as the "fans have had enough stress as it is"......of whatever the bollox that was given at the time about West Ham fans after the Tevez affair.