Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• I saw All My Sons and fell asleep for most of the first half, enjoyed the second. Had Rufus Sewell sat in the seat in front
  • Did the only fools show yesterday, absolutely brilliant 
  • Saw Blood Brothers at The Marlowe in Canterbury on Thursday.

Lyn Paul is excellent in the main role and the remaining cast support her very well. Touring nationwide so you might catch it.
  • edited September 2019
    Has anyone seen Ghost Stories ? 
    Yes, is it coming back? I don't find horror scary, but it was good fun. There were some who were shitting themselves though - mostly girls of a certain age who couldn't stop screaming! In the final act, one young lady ran out of the theatre screaming from the front row, as fast as Linford Christie.
  • Has anyone seen Ghost Stories ? 
    Yes, is it coming back? I don't find horror scary, but it was good fun. There were some who were shitting themselves though - mostly girls of a certain age who couldn't stop screaming! In the final act, one young lady ran out of the theatre screaming from the front row, as fast as Linford Christie.
    Thanks for that response, Mutts.

Yes, it's on at The Ambassadors from 3rd October to 4th January.

I've booked seats for Mr F's birthday in November & looking forward to surprising him....

Behind you !!

:-)
  • Saw “Myths and Monsters” and “ Lonely Lighthouse Keeper” at the Minnack theatre on holidays.  What a setting.  

Also saw The Dancing Frog by Kneehigh on the beach which was great too, and finally, went to Funtasia Circus.  

Family of 4 - total cost for all 4 shows = £88.  Being out of London can be great!
  • Saw saw A Midsummer Night’s Dream at The Bridge on Friday.
    Best theatre I’ve seen for absolute yonks, unfortunately for you lot I think it finished on Saturday 😬
    Added bonus Lynne from Alan Partridge was in it 👍🏻
  • The National Theatre have started streaming stuff. One Man Two Guvnors is the first. OK so he is West Ham but James Corden is very good and this is a funny show. On till next Thursday when Jane Eyre takes over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqcRwWVv8k
  • Some Lloyd Webber stuff will be streamed on youtube too, starting with Joseph and a colourful coat this evening:
    https://youtu.be/N6XjXfQmZ4Q
  • The National Theatre have started streaming stuff. One Man Two Guvnors is the first. OK so he is West Ham but James Corden is very good and this is a funny show. On till next Thursday when Jane Eyre takes over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqcRwWVv8k

Absolutely brilliant watch. On YouTube for a week. Over 200,000 households watched it when it was streamed last night with £50,000 raised in donations to support theatres. Was a really funny watch with James corden in the show 
  • Sponsored links:

• Little rumour, that Disney are working to bring forward the Hamilton live performance film, a year and get it out soon on Disney+
  • What are they ‘working toward’ ?

surely if filmed they can just release ?
  • Did anybody see Upstart Crow at the Gieguld, starring David Mitchell, before theatres were closed?

If so, how was it?
  • edited April 2020
    Currently watching Phantom of the Opera in full from Royal opera house. Part of the weekly Andrew Lloyd Webber thing ‘shows must go on’ 

NT live and royal opera house as well as other theatres got things coming up.  Will try to find links and post them here if anyone interested. 

• https://youtu.be/HC-A4kvqLvk

Northern Ballet version of 1984
  • Rothko said:
    Little rumour, that Disney are working to bring forward the Hamilton live performance film, a year and get it out soon on Disney+
    Confirmed, Disney + on July 3rd
  • It is nice to be able to contribute to this thread again.

We went to see Joseph at the Palladium last night. Having seen a previous production some years ago, I didn't think this one stood up to it. Jason Donavan is a star but I couldn't understand what he was signing about. Alexandra Burke did a decent job and the lead had a good voice.

But for me it sort of looked cheap, which I'm sure it wasn't. It is jolly enough, and I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best for me.
  • It is nice to be able to contribute to this thread again.

We went to see Joseph at the Palladium last night. Having seen a previous production some years ago, I didn't think this one stood up to it. Jason Donavan is a star but I couldn't understand what he was signing about. Alexandra Burke did a decent job and the lead had a good voice.

But for me it sort of looked cheap, which I'm sure it wasn't. It is jolly enough, and I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best for me.

Good to know. Am seeing the show for the first time next week. Only just realised it will be at full capacity.

Andrew Lloyd Webbers new musical Cinderella was pretty good and had a good spin on it. The special effects involving the audience was very well done as well.

Have booked tickets for Back to the Future the musical. Absolutely love the film so hoping it will be a good show
  • edited July 2021
    I think if you haven't seen a previous production, you will enjoy it. I enjoyed it but kept thinking that they could have done this or that better. Donvan's dream was an important plot point so the fact you couldn't work out what it was wasn't great. Although most probably know what it was already I suppose.

They used kids in a lot of adult roles. I think it was done as a nod to the play being originally written as a school play, but it didn't always work for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Saw the Back to the Future musical production at the Adelphi tonight. As a huge fan of the films I didn’t know what to expect and was sceptical to say the least but must admit it was brilliantly done in my view. And the final scene … ‘roads - where we’re going we don’t need roads’ is epic in how it’s done in the theatre.

Thoroughly enjoyable night out and gonna binge on all three movies this weekend now.
  • Just been to see 2:22 at the Noel Coward, really enjoyed it - Lilly Allen was much better than I was expecting.  
  • Saw the Back to the Future musical production at the Adelphi tonight. As a huge fan of the films I didn’t know what to expect and was sceptical to say the least but must admit it was brilliantly done in my view. And the final scene … ‘roads - where we’re going we don’t need roads’ is epic in how it’s done in the theatre.

Thoroughly enjoyable night out and gonna binge on all three movies this weekend now.

Seeing the show next Friday night. Have heard great things. People saying the Set and the special effects are excellent.

Saw Hairspray last week and Michael Ball and Les Dennis were excellent together. 
  • Got some freebie tickets to come from away this week. Daughter and I loved it, was a lovely upbeat story about an event that was any thing but upbeat. Evening only spoilt by the tall bloke sat in front of me who had really weak neck muscles (I assume)  so had keep flopping his head from side to side meaning I had to keep adjusting my position so I could see. 
  • Back to the future. Highly recommend. The show is amazing. The songs are very good and wow the special effects throughout are unreal. As mentioned above the final 10 mins of the show are INSANE as to how they do it in the theatre 
  • Went to Hamilton tonight at the Victoria, excellent as always. 
  • There should be a caveat to this thread "No tenuous links, no desperate "guess who was sitting a hundred seats away from me last night" and stick to just theatre. 

The Globe for a fiver.
    "Inspector Calls" is a gem. 
    Les Mis. 
    The Railway Children used an ingenious set. 

Still think the theatre that is Floyd Road takes some beating! 

When I started this thread I was also hoping for some tales of personal experiences treading or surrounding the boards. Anything from AmDram to school plays to professional work and such. Surely there must be good stories out there.
    The Valley is indeed a theatre. There are costumes, lights, characters, an interval, improvisation, high drama, goodies and baddies, an audience and so on.
  • edited September 2021
    se9addick said:
    Just been to see 2:22 at the Noel Coward, really enjoyed it - Lilly Allen was much better than I was expecting.  
    Good news, seeing it in a few weeks.  

It’s a great theatre, always like going there. 
  • Saw The Windsor's in the week. Never seen the TV show so wasn't expecting much. Was actually really funny Harry Enfield as Prince Charles and Tracy Anne Oberman as Camilla were hilarious.

Off to the Hackney Empire this evening to see Clinton Baptiste (dodgy medium from Phoenix Nights)

Myra Dubois Stand Up at The Garrick on Monday.

Saw a couple of Mischief Theatre improv shows at The Regents Park Open Air Theatre last Sunday. The 9pm with the dark surroundings was amazing.