Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Saunders jailed

Former Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has been jailed for 10 weeks for refusing to give a drink-drive roadside breath test.

The 55-year-old was stopped on suspicion of drinking and driving by police in Boughton, Chester, on 10 May.

https://news.sky.com/story/dean-saunders-former-liverpool-player-jailed-for-10-weeks-over-drink-drive-breath-test-11796089

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dean-saunders-arrested-liverpool-striker-jailed-breath-test-alcohol-drunk-roadside-latest-a9081811.html

Comments

• Blimey. Does that mean they can’t do him for drink driving?
    Technically not, double jeopardy was scrapped in 2005 as such no. However if he didn't do the test it cannot be proven that he was over the limit.
  • Good for the Judge.

Will be interesting listening when he is back on with Alan Brazil in the morning!
    Already been banned for 30 months. They don't need to do him for drink driving
  • What an idiot
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Blimey. Does that mean they can’t do him for drink driving? 
    Technically not, double jeopardy was scrapped in 2005 as such no. However if he didn't do the test it cannot be proven that he was over the limit.

Is it not assumed he was DD if he refuses to give a sample? Hence the 2.5 year ban.

Also wasn't he the animal who ended Paul Elliot's career?

• Dazzler21 said:

Is it not assumed he was DD if he refuses to give a sample? Hence the 2.5 year ban.

Yes he did, Elliott even sued him but a court found Saunders not guilty.
  • Sponsored links:

• wondered why he hadn't been on Talksport or BT lately
  • Wonder if Saunders will still appear on the Gamble Aware TV advert? I appreciate gambling and drinking aren't the same but they're closely associated and would seem a bit rich lectures coming from Saunders about responsible behaviour.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Yes he did, Elliott even sued him but a court found Saunders not guilty.

I worked up the road from the court at the time and used to go and watch the proceedings during lunchtimes and breaks. It was fascinating watching the process and some of the people giving evidence were good value (Vinny Jones being one).

When Gary Birtles was on, he bowled in with an arrogant air about him but was torn to shreds by Elliott's solicitor. He ended up losing his temper and the judge had to tell him to answer the question.

• released after one day in the slammer .. appeal against sentence is pending
  • I suspect his talksport career is over. 
    Good he is a condescending prick whenever I've heard him.
    Good he is a condescending prick whenever I've heard him.
    I heard him tell a Brian Clough story that he dines out on. Peter Taylor later explained what really happened and that Saunders had made most of it up. Haven’t really listened to Saunders ever since. 
  • "Saunders said he had been out at Chester Races and had drunk two pints"

Has anyone in the history of horse racing ever been for a day out at the races and only had 2 pints?
    Only ever been to the races by public transport or on a coach, except when we lived in Brighton...where we walked.....2 pints my arse.
  • He's always been a wanker. Anyone who drives drunk, gets done, then does it again is the worst kind of shitbag. He should think himself lucky he only got ten weeks - how he's got the bollocks to appeal it as 'harsh' is beyond me. 
    At least the scum didn't hurt or kill anyone
    1st time complete tosser
    2nd time deserve to be looked up 
    No doubt there will be a 3rd and 4th time

• Sponsored links:

• He's always been a wanker. Anyone who drives drunk, gets done, then does it again is the worst kind of shitbag. He should think himself lucky he only got ten weeks - how he's got the bollocks to appeal it as 'harsh' is beyond me. 
    At least the scum didn't hurt or kill anyone
    1st time complete tosser
    2nd time deserve to be looked up 
    No doubt there will be a 3rd and 4th time

Then he'll blame it on his 'disease' 
  • There's still time for him to change. When he does he can then get a managerial job with his boyhood team, Swansea City.
  • There's still time for him to change. When he does he can then get a managerial job with his boyhood team, Swansea City.
    If the managerial job at Swansea doesn't arise, he could maybe manage the Scallywags Arms in Toxteth instea. 
  • Absolutely hammered and had the cheek to say in court he'd only had 2 pints 
  • Lock the arrogant twat up.
  • What a dick head 
  • He's bloody got away with it.

Ex-Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has won his appeal against a jail sentence for failing to take a breath test after being stopped on suspicion of drink driving.

Saunders, 55, was jailed for 10 weeks by District Judge Nicholas Sanders when he appeared at Chester Magistrates' Court on August 28, after admitting failing to comply with a roadside breath test and failing to provide a breath specimen.

He had been stopped by a police patrol in Chester city centre on May 10 after spending a day at the races.

Saunders spent just one day in custody and was given bail after his lawyers launched an appeal against his jail sentence.

On Friday Judge Steven Everett, Honorary Recorder of Chester, quashed the immediate jail sentence and instead suspended the 10-week prison sentence for 18 months.