Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Bulgaria / Kosovo

Team being announced this afternoon

Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa) is one leaked name that has been called up

Comments

• Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Danny Rose, Kieran Trippier, Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Declan Rice, Harry Winks

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

• Is Kyle walker and John stones injuries or dropped? 
  • Good to see James Maddison is back too

Not sure Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is worthy of a call up just yet after having been injured for so long - Jessie Lingaard is one of those players who seems to do better in an England shirt than Man Utd one

Is John Stones injured or has he just been dropped?
  • edited August 2019
    Hasn't been that much to go on this season so Southgate has to go with the same old names, with Mings and Mount the only real exceptions.

Winks for example was taken off at 1-0 down to Villa, they won 3-1. Taken off at 2-1 down to City, they drew. And he played 90 minutes in the defeat to Newcastle. Is that worthy of a call up? So Southgate can only have called him up based on his previous form.

Same goes for Lingard, he has been dire lately so is only in because of how he's played for us before.
  • Hopefully Wan-Bissaka will perform better than he did at u21 level... embarrassment of an OG in that tournament.

Massively overrated for me, can't see why he'd be needed if we have Trent and Trippier.
  • Trippier in for Walker is weird. Trippier has looked dreadful for 18 months. Not sure about Mings and Mount, seems a little too easy to get an England call up these days. 
  • Trippier in for Walker is weird. Trippier has looked dreadful for 18 months. Not sure about Mings and Mount, seems a little too easy to get an England call up these days. 
    Made a good start in Spain by all accounts, and a better long term option in terms of age. Walker only average for Man City so far.
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, Mings had a good loan spell in the Championship and a couple of games in the PL for Villa and gets called up, which seems a bit premature 
  • One thing is certain, in Sancho and Sterling we probably have the world's 2 most in form wide players right now.
  • A front 3 of Sancho, Kane and Sterling will give even the worlds best defence nightmares.
  • Call me pessimistic but I don't think Sancho has done enough to be labelled world level in my opinion.

He only had that one good half against USA if I recall, and was completely absent in both legs against spurs. I worry he'd get found out if he comes to a prem team.
  • MrLargo said:
    Trippier in for Walker is weird. Trippier has looked dreadful for 18 months. Not sure about Mings and Mount, seems a little too easy to get an England call up these days. 
    Made a good start in Spain by all accounts, and a better long term option in terms of age. Walker only average for Man City so far.
    I thought Walker had started well this season. Surprised we’ve picked 3 right backs and none of them is Walker, who can play right of a back three. Wan-Bissaka is overrated imo and it’s no coincidence he’s now been picked after moving to United. I know you’re not going to please everyone with your picks, and I can’t fault Southgate so far, but constantly picking Lingard is wearing thin. 
  • Call me pessimistic but I don't think Sancho has done enough to be labelled world level in my opinion.

He only had that one good half against USA if I recall, and was completely absent in both legs against spurs. I worry he'd get found out if he comes to a prem team.
    He is THE MAN at Dortmund this season, without a doubt their main star.
    They know they only have him for 1 more season too...he'll be in the Premier League next year i'd imagine.
  • MrLargo said:
    Trippier in for Walker is weird. Trippier has looked dreadful for 18 months. Not sure about Mings and Mount, seems a little too easy to get an England call up these days. 
    I thought Walker had started well this season. Surprised we’ve picked 3 right backs and none of them is Walker, who can play right of a back three. Wan-Bissaka is overrated imo and it’s no coincidence he’s now been picked after moving to United. I know you’re not going to please everyone with your picks, and I can’t fault Southgate so far, but constantly picking Lingard is wearing thin. 
    Whilst I agree based on club form, Lingard has always impressed me when he puts on an england shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

You clearly don't watch much of the Bundesliga then, the kid is definitely world level.

Since the start of last season he has 14 goals and 16 assists in 36 league games. And he's not even 20 until March.
    Yes thats the Bundesliga mate, its a 2 team league
     A two team league where EIGHTH PLACE Werder Bremen were as close to champions Bayern as 3rd place Chelsea were to 2nd place Liverpool last season. 

The narrative of the Bundesliga being a less competitive league is really laughable given the dominance of City and Liverpool domestically here. 
    How many German teams outside of Bayern and Dortmund have been in european finals in recent history? or even semi's?
  • The Bundesliga definitely has some poor sides. But so does the Prem. 

Sancho has turned up against Bayern virtually every time too. He’s a top player.
  • edited August 2019
    Call me pessimistic but I don't think Sancho has done enough to be labelled world level in my opinion.

You clearly don't watch much of the Bundesliga then, the kid is definitely world level.

Since the start of last season he has 14 goals and 16 assists in 36 league games. And he's not even 20 until March.
     A two team league where EIGHTH PLACE Werder Bremen were as close to champions Bayern as 3rd place Chelsea were to 2nd place Liverpool last season. 

The narrative of the Bundesliga being a less competitive league is really laughable given the dominance of City and Liverpool domestically here. 
    How many German teams outside of Bayern and Dortmund have been in european finals in recent history? or even semi's?
    Discounting the fact you were commenting on the Bundesliga as a league, two in Champions League finals, but then since 2010 there's only been 3 English teams there. 

English teams have had more success in the Europa League, admittedly, but that still doesn't change their domestic league. 
  • edited August 2019
    Call me pessimistic but I don't think Sancho has done enough to be labelled world level in my opinion.

Discounting the fact you were commenting on the Bundesliga as a league, two in Champions League finals, but then since 2010 there's only been 3 English teams there. 

English teams have had more success in the Europa League, admittedly, but that still doesn't change their domestic league. 
    A europa league that also involves German teams if i'm not mistaken?

Also the champs league whereby we've had four different english teams in the final in the last 10 years.

As far as I'm concerned, Sancho did nothing in those two games against spurs. And I'm sure he'll have tougher defenders than Danny Rose and Serge Aurier to come up against.

Still not convinced, and won't be until I see him perform better against proper opposition.

Dominance of Liverpool domestically? they finished 4th two seasons ago lol Havent won a domestic trophy in ages

I’d argue that the Premier League is a 2 team league at the moment.  

You can't say that after 5 games mate.
  • edited August 2019

You can't say that after 5 games mate.
    What about last season though? Liverpool finished 25 points ahead of 3rd and Manchester City 26. And I have no doubt it will be a massive points difference between those 2 and 3rd place again.