Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Reading v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 31st August 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Jarred Gillett (Australia)

Introduction
Charlton are off on their travels before a very much needed International Break… Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Royal Berkshire, home to attractions such as Ascot, Windsor Park and Legoland – The irony of the latter shouldn’t be lost on events within SE7 of late; where Lee Bowyer can be found building something special… Reading will be our hosts this Saturday, their fans believe we’re in a false position – Like those we’ve faced already this season, it’s only fair we continue to show we’re third on merit, not luck!!

The Opposition
Name: Reading | Manager: Jose Manuel Gomes
Ground: Madejski Stadium

Under a transfer embargo for much of the summer, its not been the best of times at Reading - Relegation from the Premier League in 2013 has seen a harsh transition to football back in the Championship, they've been in a relegation fight for all but two of those years and survived dropping into League One by just seven points last season... There is light at the end of the tunnel though, the embargo has been lifted and there could once again be hope in Berkshire. Sitting just two points from the Play-Offs, it’s not just the Addicks that look like they’re in a false position at this early start of the season!!

Erm hang on… Moore, Pele, Puscas? - Are we sure this isnt a 1970s Retirement Home we’re visiting??? - Okay all three players may not be as problematic as their namesakes but this will be another challenge we should become used to at this level!!

Yet my danger man is pretty obvious this week… Michael Morrison, one of the biggest mistakes of our current regime. Enjoying constant Championship Football (whilst we’ve endured three years of League One); Michael would leave Birmingham City this summer after wanting the security of an extra year on his contract, baffling for a Defender who has proven so reliable at this level and should be a match for our attackers!!

Charlton Team News
With a week off since Brentford its been a week for players to re-charge their batteries and take a short break from the rigours of Championship Football – Lee Bowyer would confirm straight after Saturdays win that there would be a behind closed doors game this week so those lacking match fitness would get some much needed minutes

It means that there should be a chance for the likes of Erhun Oztumer and Beram Kayal to impress in front of their Manager… Chris Solly will come back into condition after completing his mandatory seven day break from action following his concussion against Barnsley. Going to need more headache tablets Lee!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Field | Williams
Gallagher
Taylor | Hemed

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Kayal | Aneke | Oztumer | Lapslie | Leko

Prediction
What is a common theme of this section; the Championship is certainly difficult to predict but Charlton results seem to be constant as the games roll by – With a difficult October coming up (where we face the expected top six) its important that we get points on the board now. We’ve yet to go on a proper losing run under the current Management, that’s not to say it wont happen eventually!!

Comments

• 2-1 Charlton , Taylor and Hemed with the old one two !
  • Tough one again, they all are! I will go for a 1-1 draw which would be a good result. Taylor back to scoring ways, after a long drought ;)
  • Edit: Forgot to leave out Oshilaja as wrote the draft prior to the Press Conference

75-mins for Kayal in the BCD game midweek? - Might be a chance to give him another small run out before the break?
  • I will have to stop this FA, but I am agreeing with you again, (we did not do so bad last week). The only change is Oshilaja is out of this game according to LB, but will be back after internationals
  • I think Leko will retain his place, despite the poor 45 he had against Brentford. Oshilaja is out injured, but Solly fits in nicely instead. Maybe Kayal will make the bench having played midweek?

I have to keep up my lack of optimism on this thread which suggests that we will lose (2-1), but I have backed us to win on beat the bookie, thus surely condemning us to our first league loss of the season!
  • edited August 2019
    ross1 said:
    I will have to stop this FA, but I am agreeing with you again, (we did not do so bad last week). The only change is Oshilaja is out of this game according to LB, but will be back after internationals
    See my post right above yours

To be honest though I've put Kayal on the bench but now realised that Pratley isnt involved

Christ wonder if Bowyer will lend me his headache tablets!! :)
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    I'm going to this game and although I think a draw would be a decent result I reckon we will nick it.
    2.1 Charlton  Hemed to open his account for the mighty Addicks. 
  • Good review, I’m sure Pratley will start in place of Field though, with Kayal  missing out
  • 1- 0 Charlton.....Lockyer opening account.
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy with a 2-2.
  • 3-1... Dominant for large spells... 

Williams, Gallagher and Taylor 
  • Their Puscus is quality, despite buying a ticket, I predict 3-1 defeat.  Lyle late consolation.
  • Will have to lose sometime and we deserved nothing last Saturday. 

Scrappy 1.0 defeat.  
  • 0-1 to Lee Bowyer's shithouse army. Williams gets his first as an Addick
  • anything over than a loss i am over the moon with. 
  • Delighted with a point 0-0.
  • Looking forward to this one.... only live next door!
  • edited August 2019
    I think we will come out to play, But the reality is the only time we seemed to have the ball against Brentford was when it hit our bodies with the myriad of blocks and tackles ( except for the marvelous tackle and pass by Jonny Williams when setting up young Conor Gallagher.
    A 50% improvement in ball control and the same fantastic spirit will see us bring home at least a point.

I believe Reading played mainly a reserve team last night so shouldn't have a bearing?
  • edited August 2019
    Their Puscus is quality
    Sounds like a hybrid of pus and mucus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two nil away win. COYRs!!
  • I think we will come out to play, But the reality is the only time we seemed to have the ball against Brentford was when it hit our bodies with the myriad of blocks and tackles ( except for the marvelous tackle and pass by Jonny Williams when setting up young Conor Gallagher.
    A 50% improvement in ball control and the same fantastic spirit will see us bring home at least a point.

I believe Reading played mainly a reserve team last night so shouldn't have a bearing?
    You can't judge what to expect based on the Brentford performance. We were knackered after Wednesday and it was too hot to play the press and we just did what LB instructed - keep a shape, defend and take chances when they come.

By all accounts Reading's performance against Huddersfield was like Forest against us.  78% possession to Huddersfield at half time and Reading nicked one after the opposition ran out of steam after 65 minutes and stopped pressing.  So assume JB will see Reading as another Forest and set up to press and dominate the midfield, unlike the Brentford strategy. 

We are clearly not yet as fit as we need to be to press and control possession for 90minutes, but it will come and it will get easier as it gets cooler.  So hope to see a similar start to the one we made against Forest. We just need to get the goals when we have the possession.

Morrison is getting grave reviews from the Reading fans and their defence looks like their strong point, so all set up for a cracker of a game.

• I’ve predicted that we won’t win in every game so far so and look how that’s gone . 2-1 Reading 
  • Saw Reading demolish Cardiff on Sky the other week......dont think they will be the relegation fodder of past years.

With Solly not being an attacking defender (iyswim) I think we will lose some cutting edge as well as being worse at the back not having Oshi there.

2-0 to the home side.
  • I’ve predicted that we won’t win in every game so far so and look how that’s gone . 2-1 Reading 
    Same here. So would be happy to be proven wrong yet again.

2-0 to Reading
  • Charlton 5-0 Reading 
    Taylor x2
    Leko x3
  • FA.
    If your team prediction is right what a subs bench that is.
  • seth plum said:
    FA.
    If your team prediction is right what a subs bench that is.
    You could even swap Leko / Hemed and bring in Pratley for Field or Kayal and it would look impressive
  • Reading batter us for most of the game , but we score in time added on 1-0 to the Addicks.
  • 1-0 to us, Baby Beckham with a tap-in after good assist  by Hemed.