Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congestion charge PCN

Got a lovely £80 fine from tfl this morning for not paying a congestion charge.

I've been driving in London for nearly 5 years but rarely kop the charge due to the times I'm in and out. Anyhow I set up Auto pay for those times I did. I changed my motor in April this year to abide by Mr khan's wonderful ulez money making scheme.
Shortly after purchasing I went on the TFL auto-pay site and removed my old vehicle and added my new one. Although I entered the details and then saved it as my vehicle there must have been another page where I add it to cc auto-pay which I either didn't do didn't realise I had to. They had the car details and also my payment card details. I thought I was good to go. Obviously not as I found out this morning. Last week was the first time I've been in the zone during charge times. They've fined me for not paying on time.

My question is, do you think it's worth contesting?
As a loyal customer that's always payed on time previously I thought it might be worth it but knowing the money sucking parasites at the TFL I'm probably wasting my time.

I'm off to Turkey tomorrow for 10 days so going to be pushing the 14 day 'discount' !

Comments

• Def contest it
    I had a bailiff knock on my door for a Con charge fine that i had paid! I phoned tfl but they were unable to trace my card details due to Data protection and I had not received any type of correspondence from tfl in relation to the pcn. I had to go to the local courts and fill out a form, in front of a court official and got the pcn quashed.
  • Exactly the same thing happened to me two weeks ago , well the wife drove the newer car and I knew I’d updated it all , we drove in two days later again and I went on tfl thingy to check it’s all been paid and I’d done what you did .
    i transferred car to the auto pay section but I knew the 48 hours ago I was gonna be rumped on .
    so rang up and after speaking gobbledygook to an automated system I got through to a person (who might as well have been a robot) who said the auto pay would take care of the current days CC but 48 hours ago one it was not gonna work cos when I explained situation they didn’t wanna know and just hard lucked me off .

havent received the fine yet but haven’t been at home last few days .

• I've appealed it but don't hold much hope.
    Said ive been a loyal customer and everything was in place I just didn't push one button which I blamed on their shit show of a website
  • Good luck with your appeal , did you just fire off an email through details provided on the fine ?
  • I had a similar thing with the Dartford Tunnel. I entered the wrong ref for my new car on the auto pay. I  was let off because it was the first fine for the car (not me). 
    I would appeal because you being on auto pay, so obviously not intentionally trying to avoid pay.
  • Good luck with your appeal , did you just fire off an email through details provided on the fine ?
      There's a page for appeals on their site. You log in with your PCN number.
  • Whenever I do one of these online forms I always take a screen shot to keep. Wouldn’t prove much but might help in any appeal. Good luck.
  • How else will tfl cough up the money for their near on 1bil losses.

Always, always appeal. Even if you know you stand know chance in winning. If it's like any other pcn when you appeal they freeze the fine until they respond so you don't pay the double.

Make them work for it. It's all too easy for them if you just hand over your cash straight up.
  • Well I'll be blown. They've only gone and cancelled it!

Wasn't expecting that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got pinged going over Tower Bridge, 29 in a 20 limit!  Its the most prolific Camera in the country raising £57 mil for the City of London. Waiting for FPN, and 3 points 
  • Got pinged going over Tower Bridge, 29 in a 20 limit!  Its the most prolific Camera in the country raising £57 mil for the City of London. Waiting for FPN, and 3 points 
    No chance of getting away with that one unfortunatly. Doing 23/24 over there and it will probably get you.

I piss many drivers off when I'm poodling along at 20mph on that bridge while other cars are right up my arse furious at the speed I'm going at.
    No chance of getting away with that one unfortunatly. Doing 23/24 over there and it will probably get you.

I piss many drivers off when I'm poodling along at 20mph on that bridge while other cars are right up my arse furious at the speed I'm going at.
    Even 21 can get you in trouble. A friend opted for the speed awareness course option rather than points. Most of those on the course were police officers who got caught on the bridge.
    That’s been my only speed ticket in 30yrs of driving & that was about 14-15yrs ago...& for 30mph, weather was awful & completely forgot the limit, even tho I’d been driving that route for years...but erm it was £150 & 5 points back then...☹️

Wasn't expecting that.
    They seem to be a reasonable bunch, I had one quashed earlier in the year.

Wasn't expecting that.
    Nice , I never got sent anything through either , common sense prevails , well done TFL 
  • Please be aware that although the congestion and ULEZ charges have been suspended, they are still dishing out PCN's for travelling through Bank junction.
    Got one yesterday, which I've appealed.

Think Beech st tunnel is also still under restriction.

Madness as there's hardly a soul on the roads in the centre of the city.

Money grabbing bstards
  • I watch a YouTube vlogger who is a Marathon runner / coach and based in Greenwich - He was in a Lidl the other day filming whilst his Girlfriend queued up

He had to stop talking in the end because his Girlfriend was still queuing after an hour so he had to move his car to avoid the typical PCN

Now I know the cameras have been turned off in Car Parks down here in Strood and may have been in his case but bloody scummy thing from the supermarkets if not