Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phillips or Amos

I'm really starting to feel that Dillon learning on the job in the Championship might be a step too far. A good shot stopper but his distribution is woeful and he turns around acknowledging as much each time a kick/throw is made.

Comments

• Would give him a little bit longer

To be fair I dont think we've conceded a goal yet that can be attributed to his fault

I think him turning round to acknowledge a bad bit of distribution is nothing more than when an outfield player puts their hand up to apologise for a bad pass

Think one problem has been team mates either getting in the way or too slow, today at one point he held the ball before taking a goal kick because Lockyer / Pearce were just standing there and werent making themselves available for the pass - On one occasion against Forest he went to take quick punt up field yet our own players got in his way which messed things up
  • Muric for Nottingham Forest was a clear example of someone on Wednesday who is supposed to be good @ distribution (hence why he's at Man City) yet was embarrassing
  • edited August 2019
    mendonca said:
    I'm really starting to feel that Dillon learning on the job in the Championship might be a step too far. A good shot stopper but his distribution is woeful and he turns around acknowledging as much each time a kick/throw is made.
    until 1/2 way through last season, I was convinced he would always be a serious mistake waiting to happen and would never be up to scratch in any division .. BUT he had a golden patch, except for THAT fuck up .. while we are winning we just cannot drop him .. so far this season I have only seen 2 live games and the one on the telly ..  so far he's done nothing especially dodgy that I have seen .. he's no de Gea, and on current form, thank fuck for that ((:>) ..  

however, I forgot to add that Amos is by far the better technical keeper, BUT is he a lucky keeper like Phillips ?
  • His kicking is woeful and put us under a lot of pressure at the end of the day, every time he cleared the ball it was as far away from any of our players left up top as you could get. 

Yes he is a good shot stopper but today showed us the problems we are going to face when a decent team with a high press come up against us.
  • sam3110 said:
    His kicking is woeful and put us under a lot of pressure at the end of the day, every time he cleared the ball it was as far away from any of our players left up top as you could get. 

Yes he is a good shot stopper but today showed us the problems we are going to face when a decent team with a high press come up against us.
    Didnt help that our players were knackered from Wednesday so didnt have the energy to get forward in numbers when Phillips did kick long

Meant that it was usually Taylor battling on his own and would lose out to the experienced Jansson
  • The whole whole team was under pressure today. Pretty much whole match on the back foot. Dillon’s done nothing wrong in my book and retains the shirt until he has a run of dodgy performances. He hasn’t and I don’t think he will. Every GK makes the odd error. 
  • Just a discussion I thought worth having on a seperate thread, rather than turning the topic of an existing post off topic.

I like Dills. Would like to see an improvement in some areas of his game....command, calling, managing box, distribution in terms of kicking and throwing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's his shirt to lose (and rightly) but I suspect that if he had to miss a match or two due to injury or suspension, Amos could easily make the shirt his own and make it difficult for him to get back in
  • It's his shirt to lose (and rightly) but I suspect that if he had to miss a match or two due to injury or suspension, Amos could easily make the shirt his own and make it difficult for him to get back in
    This is what I see happening.

I wrote in my player marks: 
    Phillips: 6.5 - A couple of very good saves. A couple of dodgy moments. Ultimately, not a whole lot to do. He's a great shot stopper, of that there can be no doubt. I just feel he has a mistake in him due to lapses in concentration, and it means we'll see Amos at some point. Still young for a keeper and has developed far better than I ever would have imagined nine months ago. 

Phillips has gotten much better, but he still isn't the most comfortable with the ball at his feet. He had a couple of sloppy moments in the first couple of matches as well. This has been the case with him for years. He has improved drastically in that area in the last few months, but it remains a weakness at times. 

It's also worth remembering Amos was really, really bloody good two years ago. 

I wouldn't drop him yet. And Bowyer is quite loyal to players. But as you say killer, I think at some point Amos could well come into the side and make that #1 shirt his. 

Like with Pearce and Sarr, it's a good problem to have. I suspect it will work itself out one way or another, either that Phillips starts to iron out the mistakes in his game, or that Amos inevitably comes in. I don't think this is one where you need to force a decision right now. 
  • edited August 2019
    He’s got the shirt at the moment, and I don’t see any reason to change it. If he was performing like Butland at Stoke then fair enough, but he isn't  I don’t really give a toss if a keepers distribution is a bit flakey.....as long as he keeps the ball out of the net. 
    He took a while to claim the number 1 spot and more than deserves to keep it.... even if he does make a few mistakes in future games.
  • Phillips did make some good saves today agreed but he's still far from the finished article.

He doesn't command his box enough I don't know if it's a lack of confidence but in the first half think it was him and Pearce? almost let in one of there players to put it over the bar. There was another attack where Pearce had to deflect it behind for a corner because he didn't get a shout from Phillips.

Yes it might have been a clean sheet but he just doesn't command his box enough. I still think Amos is the better keeper but to be fair to Phillips none of the goals conceded so far you could really pin on him.
  • We saw what Amos could do the season before last; once he'd had a long run in the side he was immense.
    But when he first played that season, he was shaky and indecisive before his game eventually started to come together.

And then there was his unhappy spell at Millwall last season, when everything turned to ratshit for him.
    Bowyer has said, that Amos is a confidence player - okay, all pro footballers are more or less.

Amos is here to rebuild his form and reputation once he gets a chance in the 1st team. 
    Otherwise, if he'd been on top of his game, he would have been in demand at other clubs and not taken a big drop in wages.

People overlook how far Dillon Phillips has come in 12 months. 
    This time last year Jed Steer came in on loan and after a couple of games kept the number 1 shirt.

Steer was recalled by New Year's Eve and Dillon has played every League game since. On merit.
    It's his shirt to lose.

• Could command the area far far better for me! Every time a cross comes into the box he is rooted to his goal line!
  • sam3110 said:
    His kicking is woeful and put us under a lot of pressure at the end of the day, every time he cleared the ball it was as far away from any of our players left up top as you could get. 

Nonsense, we had one up top at the end, he's not Glenn Hoddle, he can't hit 60 yard balls for players to run into and score cos if he could he be playing midfield.

I really think people's expections of distribution are so unrealistic that no keeper can reach them.

If you want an example of woeful distribution look at the forest keeper.

For me his job is to keep the ball out of the net, the rest is a nice add on.

Not nonsense, I'm talking about the first half as well as the second half. And any decent keeper should be able to at least get the ball within a 10 yard radius. He also tried to throw one which he put straight out of play. He's a good keeper and I wouldn't replace him, but let's not try to gloss over the fact he can't distribute the ball beyond passing it sideways to a centre back
  • Just like how Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot and Nick Pope weren't ready, you mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Phillips is fine. 
    https://youtu.be/nL4mUBOSjns
    He just helped earn our first clean sheet of the season... Wind it in chaps.

• "A good shot stopper"

Too damn right and that's his number one (pun intended) job.

The myth of poor distribution is trotted out every time when no fault can be found in his main and most significant role which is keeping the ball out of the net.

Clean sheet but let's drop the keeper? Mind boggles.
    Honestly, most goalkeepers at this level are “good shot stoppers” - they simply wouldn’t be here were they not. 

I don’t think Phillips is a bad ‘keeper, and of course I want him to succeed, however it seems plain to me that his poor ability with the ball at his feet is an issue in the system Bowyer wants to play. I don’t think it will be too long before Amos is first choice, in fact I would imagine confidence in that fact is why Amos joined us. 
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Nonsense, we had one up top at the end, he's not Glenn Hoddle, he can't hit 60 yard balls for players to run into and score cos if he could he be playing midfield.

I really think people's expections of distribution are so unrealistic that no keeper can reach them.

If you want an example of woeful distribution look at the forest keeper.

For me his job is to keep the ball out of the net, the rest is a nice add on.

Not nonsense, I'm talking about the first half as well as the second half. And any decent keeper should be able to at least get the ball within a 10 yard radius. He also tried to throw one which he put straight out of play. He's a good keeper and I wouldn't replace him, but let's not try to gloss over the fact he can't distribute the ball beyond passing it sideways to a centre back
    Against Barnsley his distribution was good. Found Leko and Taylor a number of times with quick balls to the wide areas. He can do it but unfortunately in more matches than not it doesn't go so well. 
  • I got really annoyed today in NU with eejits getting on Dillon's back. Muppets. 
  • edited August 2019
    I got really annoyed today in NU with eejits getting on Dillon's back. Muppets. 
    Right - that’s ridiculous and anyone slagging him off needs to have a rethink - but people are entitled to discuss the merits of players that are in the team and their possible alternatives sitting on the bench. I sit in the NU every home match and haven’t heard anyone getting on his back, but do recognise people getting frustrated/worried. 
  • Muric for Nottingham Forest was a clear example of someone on Wednesday who is supposed to be good @ distribution (hence why he's at Man City) yet was embarrassing
    Interesting that he was dropped today as his actual keeping was excellent on Wednesday even if his distribution was terrible
  • edited August 2019
    Amos has had a few chances at previous clubs to earn a starting spot at Championship clubs and has never taken that chance. I would be shocked if he’s ever our future number one for an extended period.

What makes some people so convinced that he will be better than Dillon at this level?
  • Amos has had a few chances at previous clubs to earn a starting spot at Championship clubs and has never taken that chance. I would be shocked if he’s ever our future number one for an extended period.

What makes some people so convinced that he will be better than Dillon at this level?
    That’s simply not true.
  • se9addick said:
    Amos has had a few chances at previous clubs to earn a starting spot at Championship clubs and has never taken that chance. I would be shocked if he’s ever our future number one for an extended period.

That’s simply not true.
    Bolton... Cardiff... Millwall last season... all let him go and found another goalie. His track record isn’t fantastic in the second tier...

He had a great season with us in L1 and I think he was our best option this summer. I much prefer Dillon though.