Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

House moving

Trying give the first shout to someone on here, we are moving house within the next couple of weeks.
If someone of here wants to quote for the job drop me a pm.
Shootershill to just this side of Leysdown, we've had a couple of quotes but wanted to offer it on here before we accept one of them.

Comments

• we've always planned to move out of London in the future (to somewhere in Kent), however have been giving serious thought for a while of making the move sooner rather than later, lived in Charlton until I was 25 and then Eltham for 10 years and now Welling for the last 10.

My company now advocates working from home and I could get away with 2 (maybe 3 some weeks) days a week in the City, some weeks less. We've been doing a bit of research and have found (and viewed) an amazing property in Herne Bay last weekend, it's amazing how much more you get for your money.

so lifers.....anyone got any experience of the area good/bad ?.....there's always some fantastic knowledge and advice on here.

• My Mother lives in Beltinge, she likes it.
  • we've always planned to move out of London in the future (to somewhere in Kent), however have been giving serious thought for a while of making the move sooner rather than later, lived in Charlton until I was 25 and then Eltham for 10 years and now Welling for the last 10.

My company now advocates working from home and I could get away with 2 (maybe 3 some weeks) days a week in the City, some weeks less. We've been doing a bit of research and have found (and viewed) an amazing property in Herne Bay last weekend, it's amazing how much more you get for your money.

so lifers.....anyone got any experience of the area good/bad ?.....there's always some fantastic knowledge and advice on here.

We live not far from there. We love it - near to Canterbury and Whitstable and lots of nice places to explore. We moved over this way for a number of reasons but we got so much more for our money than where we were looking in T Wells and surrounds.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Check the train prices as well. From memory a daily is about £60 (return) from down there so three days a week x 48 weeks is over £8,500 a year. Where as I guess Welling is around £1300. 

As Leroy says you need to weigh up the likely hood of WFH continuing and also the additional travel time.

From above think you are around 45, so say you have 20 years left at work, in todays money the additional travel costs could be as much as £150k, which I refer to as dead money. Are you saving more than £150k on the property move?

You'll also likely see less capital gain on the house so the likelihood of ever moving back (if you wanted to) is unlikely.

Personally i'd only move out once I stopped working in the city. We did look about ten years ago moving down into Kent, in that time my house in London has more than doubled, where we were looking (whitstable) hasn't increased 50% of that so the gap has widened and I haven't spent £75k more on travel.
    all sound advice and exactly the sort of thing I'm considering......trouble is, the missus now has this in her head 
  • As a pure financial move it probably makes no sense, however it does depend on your reasons;

1. Is it to get a bigger house that you could otherwise not afford in/around Welling?
    2. Is it to cash in some of the London property price value?
    3. Is it for quality of life? (although the extra travel times would eat into that some what).

You might want to consider some other areas that a) are less of a commute but are b) of a similar price to Herne Bay.

Also where in London is your office? There is the fast train that is 1hr 20 to St Pancras from Herne Bay.

What about somewhere like Rochester? Probably slightly more expensive, but under 40 minutes on the fast train and no doubt a reasonable saving on travel cost.

Put together a spreadhsheet on the various costs of travel v housing. Personally i'd be looking to keep the travel costs to the minimum you can, better to invest that into a property than pay South Eastern/throw it away.

For instance if the price differential is £5k between welling and herne bay, £5k is roughly an extra £100k mortgage over 20 years. I'd rather spend that £100k on a property than on travelling.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Check the train prices as well. From memory a daily is about £60 (return) from down there so three days a week x 48 weeks is over £8,500 a year. Where as I guess Welling is around £1300. 

As Leroy says you need to weigh up the likely hood of WFH continuing and also the additional travel time.

From above think you are around 45, so say you have 20 years left at work, in todays money the additional travel costs could be as much as £150k, which I refer to as dead money. Are you saving more than £150k on the property move?

You'll also likely see less capital gain on the house so the likelihood of ever moving back (if you wanted to) is unlikely.

Personally i'd only move out once I stopped working in the city. We did look about ten years ago moving down into Kent, in that time my house in London has more than doubled, where we were looking (whitstable) hasn't increased 50% of that so the gap has widened and I haven't spent £75k more on travel.

Good point well made.

As a small point HB to London annual ticket is about £5-6k depending on if you include tubes etc so a bit less than the prices above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7's advice looks on the money but...  I like Herne Bay, know it a little.  There's only basic facilities there, you have to go into Canterbury if you're after something different:  Though Herne village does have the world's first ever micropub, The Butcher's, with the single obligatory muttering red faced local.  If you can afford near or in Canterbury it's an excellent small city, with the fast Javelin trains. 

My favourite of the towns in East Kent is Faversham.  Both Rochester and Faversham though are limited on housing stock, if you need to be near the station.  They're both more expensive than Herne Bay but would have thought compared to Welling a bit cheaper for comparable houses.
  • I think as long as you are prepared to move out and stay there you can get a great property.

My parents were in this exact position about 6 years ago, looking to sell a house in Eltham for around £450k at the time and move to a bigger house in Herne Bay for £300k. The house was beautiful, Victorian, set over 3 floors etc.

Things didn’t work out in the end and they decided to stay in Eltham and eventually sold their house less than 3 years later for £585k when houses in the same road in Herne Bay were barely more expensive than they were when they looked previously.

If they had moved then they would never have been able to come back to Eltham and that has what has always concerned me about moving out to Kent to be honest 
  • yeah I certainly won't be planning on moving back
  • love it here.Moved out 4 years ago. High speed link into London if needed.Spitefires over 6/7 times today,no crime,people who say hello in the street and say"thank you" to the bus driver. Property is cheap and can get a beer for under £4.
  • Fecking hell chaps, been out with my dogs......Thought struth I'm popular today!!
    Still love it here, sadly the second youngest in the road now after a couple in their mid 50s moved in. Fortunately they don't play loud music or start shagging at 6am. :D
  • once you have moved out to rural or coastal Kent, or East Sussex in my case, why would you ever want to move back to Eltham etc
    Work. 
    As you know there isn't much in coastal east Sussex and what there is is low paid.
    One of the saddest things we found were the number of people who had retired to the coast only for one the couple to die leaving the other alone and a long way from family.
  • edited August 2019
    love it here.Moved out 4 years ago. High speed link into London if needed.Spitefires over 6/7 times today,no crime,people who say hello in the street and say"thank you" to the bus driver. Property is cheap and can get a beer for under £4.

Best move we ever made. Our Coop is two hundred yards away and we have leave at least 30 minutes to get there and back as we're bound to meet other locals who want to converse.  Drivers thanking each  other for pulling over, and Spitfires, yep.  One just went over here.
  • They are bloody heavy...  houses that is!
  • Sponsored links:

• We've considered this ayear or so ago.  My work is in Dartford and my wife is in Canary Wharf so she would take the fast train and I would probably drive.  We looked at properties down that way or Broadstairs and it was amazing how much bang you could get for your buck.  We decided to stay where we are, Holborough Lakes (near Snodland), as we have the best of all worlds with work easily commutable, countryside galore, shops close by and a beautiful house that's away from the hustle and bustle but with neighbours who stop and say hello. 

The reason to stay was largely due to kids, their friends and most importantly their schooling.  Might review this in 5 or 6 years

If the seaside is not imperative then consider parts of Medway/Tonbridge & Malling for value for money whilst maintaining a good standard of living.
  • Blinding pub down there called The Ferry House, used to be a big shooting pub with it being on the foreshore, was told its a bit of a poncy wedding venue now though
  • once you have moved out to rural or coastal Kent, or East Sussex in my case, why would you ever want to move back to Eltham etc
    Work. 
    As you know there isn't much in coastal east Sussex and what there is is low paid.
    One of the saddest things we found were the number of people who had retired to the coast only for one the couple to die leaving the other alone and a long way from family.
    every cloud has a silver lining ;-))
  • I had to live in Broadstairs for about 8 months when my ex wife's mum passed away of breast cancer.  Both of us moved down there so we could be closer to her dad, which was something we both wanted to do and wouldn't have had it any other way.  This was June 2011 to February 2012, I was 29 she was 26, and we both had jobs in London.  Unlike your situation, both of us were full time in the office.  I had to get the 6.20am every day from Broadstairs, she was going in slightly later than me, but on the high speed line into Stratford.  My train arrived in London Bridge at 8.10am.  The train I got home everyday religiously was the 5.35pm, that got me back home at 7.20pm.  My ex returned slightly later as she finished later than me, maybe getting in at between 8.30pm - 9pm.

As Rob Lee pointed out, the travel costs weren't great.  For me, it was more the strain it had on my life.  4 hours of my day on a train, and very little leisure time in the evenings.  I appreciate your situation is very different and it may only be a few days and you're at a different stage of your live, but that journey is a killer mate if you have to do it regularly, so it may be something to consider as Leroy points out re: changing jobs.  

If you can get employment down there that suits your income/lifestyle then that would be ideal, but for me I think the biggest business employer in the area is Saga, and then jobs are mainly trade, retail, tourism (Apr - Oct at a push).  I have no skills in trade, and couldn't see myself in the public sector or retail.  I think these are all things to consider. 

Herne Bay is very nice and I liked Broadstairs.  

If you really want to do it, go for it, but I would say once you are there, you are probably there for a long old time.
  • Got quite a few places to look at to be honest, just viewed a fantastic place in Farningham village 
  • I really resent it when I have to travel to London for work from Chatham. If you want a train that runs and does so on time you have to pay for the HS1 and 2 mates I know from Charlton were looking at moving to Chatham but the travel costs meant it was cheaper to live somewhere like Chislehurst or Bromley. Which clearly is insane 

I'd love to move towards the coast, Faversham, Folkestone plenty of places that float my boat down that way and Canterbury as well is very nice and has some spot on areas but it's that old bind of wanting a quality of life yet needing to still do a job to pay the bills and for the fun stuff through even a basic commute would rip that quality of life apart every morning and evening. The irony is I now do a role that could easily be done remotely and my employer pushes agile and flexible working yet the idea a man who has a very good output and knowledge has to commute to a set place to be surrounded by dickheads mithering him every ten minutes asking him how to do something he's shown them upwards of 20 times. 

I'm digressing, do it mate. Kent is wonderful to live and honestly I'm not one who bashes london and its boroughs however it has become just a pain in the arse place to get around and do anything in more than anything else 
  • Got quite a few places to look at to be honest, just viewed a fantastic place in Farningham village 
    A tad closer than Herne Bay :-)
  • I drove down to Rye this afternoon  and a little detour on the way home via Tenterten. Some very beautiful villages and houses in that part of the world. I would love to live there but my wife’s and my work makes that a nonstarter. Maybe it would be doable once one of us retires but I don’t really like the idea of being reliant on a car. Also when you get older I think you need all the comforts of being within the M25, like london teaching hospitals, (you will need it at some point),  supermarkets and shops close by. Buses with lots of different routes and a train station within walking distance, with these the freebie passes. At some point you will have to give up driving and at that point you may want things a bit closer and as others have pointed out it can be very difficult financially to return.
    Presently where I live it ain’t quite countryside but it’s quiet and plenty of greenery, it does for us.
  • I drove down to Rye this afternoon  and a little detour on the way home via Tenterten. Some very beautiful villages and houses in that part of the world. I would love to live there but my wife’s and my work makes that a nonstarter. Maybe it would be doable once one of us retires but I don’t really like the idea of being reliant on a car. Also when you get older I think you need all the comforts of being within the M25, like london teaching hospitals, (you will need it at some point),  supermarkets and shops close by. Buses with lots of different routes and a train station within walking distance, with these the freebie passes. At some point you will have to give up driving and at that point you may want things a bit closer and as others have pointed out it can be very difficult financially to return.
    Presently where I live it ain’t quite countryside but it’s quiet and plenty of greenery, it does for us.
    One thing to consider if moving these sort of rural areas is they are quite snooty and you will be considered an outsider who is taking their houses and jobs.