Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Today’s Attendance?

Apart from bigger than usual, does anyone know today’s attendance figure?

Comments

2,340 Stoke.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    17k odd was the official, suggest from the pictures, closer to 15k.
    Is that because you counted 12,000 empty seats in the pictures ?
  • Lots of empty spaces in the West...probably less than half full. Still lots of empty seats around where I sit in the East, but we are in one of the most expensive blocks so I expect it to be fuller nearer to the Covered End. Stoke seemed to fill out 95% of the JS stand so 15k-16k would seem about right to me today. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    17k odd was the official, suggest from the pictures, closer to 15k.
    Is that because you counted 12,000 empty seats in the pictures ?
    No because I am not an idiot...... 
  • edited August 2019
    West was very sparse, towards the away end. Family was half-empty despite being virtually sold out. NWQ was about a third full. Upper and lower pretty good 85% ? Can’t see east, seemed busy but 20% of it closed.

3k + 750 + 500 + 6.5k + 3k = 13,750 plus 2,300 away = 16k-ish.

Was an unusually big walk-up on the day. Don’t really think, if you’re selling 1,500 over the counter on the day, you can really argue it’s sensible to have been closed all day Thursday. 
  • edited August 2019
    West was very sparse, towards the away end. Family was half-empty despite being virtually sold out. NWQ was about a third full. Upper and lower pretty good 85% ? Can’t see east, seemed busy but 20% of it closed.

3k + 750 + 500 + 6.5k + 3k = 13,750 plus 2,300 away = 16k-ish.

Was an unusually big walk-up on the day. Don’t really think, if you’re selling 1,500 over the counter on the day, you can really argue it’s sensible to have been closed all day Thursday. 
    Mate on Thursday morning 100s were saying they would never go again ;-)

Unless they were open 16:58 till late, it was probably wise...... 
  • Compared to last year, pretty impressive - and it obviously worked!
  • Sponsored links:

• Latimer said:
    17848 on BBC, frankly who cares, great win, great debuts, great management team, great team spirit, great noise, great crowd. 

It’s a thread about the crowd. Can’t see the point of posting on it to say you don’t care about it?
  • Latimer said:
    17848 on BBC, frankly who cares, great win, great debuts, great management team, great team spirit, great noise, great crowd. 

Great.
  • edited August 2019
    Latimer said:

It’s a thread about the crowd. Can’t see the point of posting on it to say you don’t care about it?
    It's also a forum about a football club, I also don't see you posting on threads about football.........

I think @Latimer point was there are more important things to talk about/discuss/celebrate than a thousand or so on the gate. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Latimer said:

It's also a forum about a football club, I also don't see you posting on threads about football.........

I think @Latimer point was there are more important things to talk about/discuss/celebrate than a thousand or so on the gate. 
    Again, what possible business is it of yours?

There are a few posters who I think offer a good  insight into the football - generally I think there is no point adding to those very long threads unless I have anything new or different to say.

Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the games and I’ve published about 1,000 words on the Blackburn game today, in a different place where it isn’t just duplication.

The official gate will be correct - it just isn’t the same thing as the number in the ground. It’s not a criticism, it’s a fact. So why shouldn’t other people discuss that if they choose?

Pretty sure airman posts on most things. He also probably has a good idea on crowd figures etc through connections. Don’t know the fella but as a poster he is insightful 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Latimer said:

Again, what possible business is it of yours?

There are a few posters who I think offer a good  insight into the football - generally I think there is no point adding to those very long threads unless I have anything new or different to say.

Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the games and I’ve published about 1,000 words on the Blackburn game today, in a different place where it isn’t just duplication.

The official gate will be correct - it just isn’t the same thing as the number in the ground. It’s not a criticism, it’s a fact. So why shouldn’t other people discuss that if they choose?
    Your right it is no more of my business than it is yours to tell people what threads they can post on. 

It's a fact, which I acknowledged in the 2nd or 3rd post on this thread.  

Just have pint, relax, enjoy today, and don't look for a fight where there isn't one. 

• I think @Latimer point was there are more important things to talk about/discuss/celebrate than a thousand or so on the gate. 

SPOT ON! Question asked answer given very pleased with the gate and much more. 

And Airman you probably sold a load more VOTV too, now there’s something else to celebrate! 
  • edited August 2019
    Fat fingers
  • addick05 said:
    Have to remember many people on holiday
    This is one of the great myths that gets regurgitated every year. There is no statistical evidence crowds are adversely affected in August - for every person that’s away there’s another that only comes because it’s the school holiday and (mostly!) better weather.
    Airman, where would this statistical evidence come from, if available?

Personally, I always think that attendances appear to be lower in August and I e always assumed that this is due to holiday season, not just people being away on holiday but family pressures on doing family orientated things (ok, I know we think that attending The Valley is a family orientated thing).

It seems that come September we are all back in normal mode,  normal routines etc.

I'm on holiday with the family, my son and I would have been there today if not, in fact, our first game will be Reading away.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    addick05 said:
    This is one of the great myths that gets regurgitated every year. There is no statistical evidence crowds are adversely affected in August - for every person that’s away there’s another that only comes because it’s the school holiday and (mostly!) better weather.
    Airman, where would this statistical evidence come from, if available?

Personally, I always think that attendances appear to be lower in August and I e always assumed that this is due to holiday season, not just people being away on holiday but family pressures on doing family orientated things (ok, I know we think that attending The Valley is a family orientated thing).

It seems that come September we are all back in normal mode,  normal routines etc.

I'm on holiday with the family, my son and I would have been there today if not, in fact, our first game will be Reading away.
    I did a lot of analysis on this over a period of years when it was my job to promote ticket sales and as a volunteer before that (Target 10,000 etc). If anything the crowds were better in August, with new season excitement, but it’s hard to make like for like comparisons because the opposition varies. It’s also been distorted in the past by bulk comps.

If the home match sale for Stoke was 4,500, as the gate suggests, that is exceptionally high for Charlton (over many years you’d only really get that for Palace) and I’d be very surprised if it is replicated across the season, especially as the prices have been pushed to a level I don’t see as sensible (cheapest adult £27, U18s £15) for Brentford.

i can tell you that almost without exception the best Voice sale of the season is for the opening home game and always has been. There might be other reasons for that but it doesn’t point to smaller crowds.
    However the sale is much less affected by the attendance than you might imagine, because it’s regulars who buy it at the ground.

Let’s see how the crowd for Birmingham on 14/9 compares with today’s, once you subtract the away fans for each.
  • edited August 2019
    Attendances thus far. Charlton will be a mid-division for butts in seats this year and probably below the league average of 19,000-20,000. Hopefully we will be louder, though.

• edited August 2019
    Today's attendance was 17,848 (2,340 Stoke) = 15,508 Charlton

This time last year we played Shrewsbury the attendance was 9,429 (435 Shrewsbury) = 8,994 Charlton

That's still an increase of 6,514 Charlton compared to a year ago assuming comps are the same.
    Agreed - roughly split 4,000 extra season tickets and 2,500 extra match tickets. Experience would suggest we will struggle to sell that many match tickets through the season (especially for midweek games), while Stoke's turnout is probably slightly above what will be the average. But I think with a fair wind we might average 16,500.

If you look at last season's gates, very little happened at all until we played Gillingham on December 22nd (Barnsley was an outlier because it was adults - sorry, kids - for a quid, I think). All the (official) home support was in the 9,000s until then.
  • edited August 2019
    I would guess it’s likely 15 teams yet to come to the valley will sell out the away end or come close to it so the @AirmanBrown view of stoke’s turnout being slightly above the average may be an underestimation. Time will tell on that though.
  • addick05 said:
    3 ST holders from out crowd were missing due to being on holiday. 
  • I must admit, I thought Stoke would sell out (would that have been 3,000??) But there were quite a few gaps. Maybe if they'd won at home last week.

Does anyone know roughly how many seats are blocked off in West and East?

I didn't see quite so many foreign football tourists yesterday apart from a couple of Germans. Maybe they are all still going to Fulham or maybe they prefer winter weekend breaks, like I do when I go to watch Hamburg.

• edited August 2019
    I would guess it’s likely 15 teams yet to come to the valley will sell out the away end or come close to it so the @AirmanBrown view of stoke’s turnout being slightly above the average may be an underestimation. Time will tell on that though.
    Just as people were predicting Stoke would sell out - against the evidence? Despite free travel.

Teams unlikely to sell out on past evidence and recent history would also include Brentford, Nottingham Forest (midweek), Swansea (midweek), Preston, Huddersfield (midweek), Hull, Bristol City (Boxing Day), Barnsley, Fulham, Blackburn, Luton, Middlesbrough, QPR (midweek), Reading (Easter Monday) and Wigan. That's 16 out of 23.
  • That Hull figure is dreadful, I assume there is still a big divide between the owner and the fans.
    No concessions too.