Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir Brian Lochore

Sir Brian Lochore has died from bowel cancer.  He was 78 years old.  Described as a colossus of NZ rugby he was a contemporary of Colin Meads and ended his All Black career as All Black captain playing at number 8.  He coached the All Blacks to their win in the inaugural World Cup in 1987.

Some say his contribution though was to grass roots rugby in NZ.  He came from a small rugby community in the Wairarapa and was always on hand to mentor the youngsters.

He would be one of the most eulogised kiwis in my memory and it’s been fascinating to hear all the comments and watch those old film clips from the 1960s, his playing days.

Comments

• All Black and New Zealand legend.

RIP Sir.
  • I can remember him and Colin Meads in particular looking class  players when the All Blacks toured the British Isles in the sixties.

They didn't lose many (Newport being a famous exception) and Brian Lochore was an integral reason for that.

RIP
  • it's all been said .. a legend as player and coach R I P .. they do not make em like they used to

• It’s a brilliantly fine day in Masterton today and Sir Brian’s funeral will be held outdoors at Memorial Park.  The service will be televised on national tv.  Many thousands are expected to attend.  He left all arrangements to others. The only thing he organised is the catering.
  • RIP