Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do people buy a settee with matching armchairs these days ?

Our settee needs replacing, although the armchairs are ok.
I had a brief look on DFS and could see settees and armchairs, but not as a set.
Is it acceptable to get a new settee and keep the old armchairs if they are totally different ?
What do people do these days ?
No replies necessary from hari krishna bean bag types :smile:

Sorry for the boring question on an extremely boring subject.

Comments

• WSS said:
    Do people still call them settees?
    I do 
  • Sofa's ?
    Was actually asking seriously.  Just can't remember the last time I heard the word settee.
  • I'm in the same situation , been around and looked at a few, going to keep the old chairs, nothing really wrong with them and just get a new settee. So, not just you CE .
  • Our settee needs replacing, although the armchairs are ok.
    I had a brief look on DFS and could see settees and armchairs, but not as a set.
    Is it acceptable to get a new settee and keep the old armchairs if they are totally different ?

If you need a couple of armchairs and you don’t mind if they match your new one, it might be worth contacting RD, as he might have some spare chairs from an old set he had  :)
  • edited August 2019
    Our settee needs replacing, although the armchairs are ok.

Make sure you get a nice poof - whatever you do.
  • Sponsored links:

• No need to match. Pop down to john lewis and try them all out. Some are held in stock unlike DFS where there can be a wait. 
  • edited August 2019
    We bought a corner unit with a non matching armchair but we are very on trend
  • Don't let anyone tell you the chairs don't match, you're simply making a statement by installing a 'feature chair'.  It's for the others to catch up with your flare of design and modernity.  Don't crack @Covered End it's important to remain confident and keep a straight face. 👨
  • Just don't buy a corner unit, they are so last decade

No, it’s your choice you can do what you like.

• the usual term (from the 1930s) is a three piece suite ((:>) .. like a matching tie and hankie
  • Never been a matching three piece suite kinda gal. 

Whoever suggested John Lewis is spot on. Fabulous furniture, decent price. 
  • I got a sofa, a settee, a couch and a chaise lounge, all matching, no armchairs
  • We just bought two settees and did away with armchairs
  • Sponsored links:

• We just bought two settees and did away with armchairs
    Same here

No, it’s your choice you can do what you like.

But what about the furniture police ?
    The outlaws and family are all round ours this xmas (sorry for mentioning).
  • edited August 2019
    Bought some sofas recently, did buy from DFS, but when I needed some for another room got them from oak furniture land, and they were blooming comfortable and half the price of DFS!

Only thing was they turned up in the biggest box I’ve ever seen the delivery guys didn’t build them or take the packaging away, but I much prefer them to the DFS ones. 

Sounds pretty obvious stuff, but measure the space you’ve got to make sure it fits where you want it.

One room just sofas, the other,  sofas and armchairs, whatever fits the space.

There’s not a lot of price difference these days between ones with electric recliners, and those with the old lifty bits at the side.

I always go for one with plenty of back and neck support, behind me  in case I nod off!

you choose your sofa then just select armchair(s) from the same range.

Not sure I saw any sofas that didn't have an armchair available when we were looking recently.
  • Next do some nice chairs and settees
  • edited August 2019
    Or tk max /home sense
    Do some quirky designs

Your showing your age CE

We had a three piece leather suite and the settee, sofa for the pedants, went so we replaced it with a M &S cloth one. Don’t see the necessity for them all to match. When the matching seats go will probably bring the two wing back arm chairs down from upstairs.