Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why did LB decide to stay?

I imagined when LB decided to stay that he'd had some assurances re budget/signings etc. It increasingly looks like he has been royally shafted by RD and I wonder if he has the stomach for the season ahead given his limited resources.

Comments

• First of August. Well done.
  • He can't lose, if we get relegated no one can blame him, if we stay up he's worked a miracle.
    He must love a challenge...
  • He can't lose, if we get relegated no one can blame him, if we stay up he's worked a miracle.
    Exactly this.

At the end of the day he loves Charlton, it's a job and (i believe) he got the pay rise he wanted. 

It's all good experience for him and if we do well it's a stepping stone to a bigger job. If we go back down, no one will blame him given he has the smallest budget in the division, so it's really a no lose situation for him.
  • Enjoyed his first season and a half. Over achieved and actually does seem to have a real bond with Charlton. 

At at some point under that lunatic owner we have none of that will matter. Bowyers stock is still rising and he’s made it clear to anyone that will listen that he has the lowest budget in the division. A win win situation for LB regardless of season outcome. 

Fwiw. I think LB will make a real fist of this season and ultimately fall just short. No blame will be attached given the circumstances and he’ll leave next summer for a better job.
    We're very lucky to have LB as a manager and I just hope we can keep him until RD finally goes. I'm really pissed off at the lack of backing he's had.
    Apart from his network of jokers, we are lucky to have anybody willing to work for him. 
  • Why because he has started a project with the players there and built up a good relationship with the fan hasn't finished yet so why would he leave 
  • Why because he has started a project with the players there and built up a good relationship with the fan hasn't finished yet so why would he leave 
    To find an owner who backed and appreciated him.
  • Sponsored links:

• With respect, we had exactly the same questions raised and debated at this point last season. Bowyer knows full well the situation he is dealing with and has willingly chosen to work with it
    His stock had risen since last season so it's not really the same situation and we're obviously in a higher division.

I'm surprised he stayed given the lack of support RD has offered - I'm happy that he has but feel he deserves a lot better. 
  • With respect, we had exactly the same questions raised and debated at this point last season. Bowyer knows full well the situation he is dealing with and has willingly chosen to work with it
    His stock had risen since last season so it's not really the same situation and we're obviously in a higher division.

I'm surprised he stayed given the lack of support RD has offered - I'm happy that he has but feel he deserves a lot better. 
    He knew the budget and tools he would have to work with before signing his contract a few weeks ago. The option couldn't have been more clearly set out for him to walk away but he chose not to.
  • edited August 2019
    He can't lose, if we get relegated no one can blame him, if we stay up he's worked a miracle.
    Spot on. This and 
    Image result for money gif

** Calm down I know staying wasn't simply about money **

He knew the budget and tools he would have to work with before signing his contract a few weeks ago. The option couldn't have been more clearly set out for him to walk away but he chose not to.
    Let's hope he still has some budget left...
  • edited August 2019
    A very small reason why he stayed must be because he would have had to drop back down to League 1 to manage. I know he was linked to lower half Championship clubs (QPR) throughout the season, but if those clubs really wanted him they could have signed him. 
  • He is proper Charlton. 
    We would be sunk without him. 
  • Bowyer is an owners dream. Even one as mad as our fella.

If he's there or there abouts I expect the owner to give him what he wants transfer wise in January within the piss poor budget.

Bowyer knows it won't be much but that doesn't seem to phase him.

Oddly I think he's building some kind of working relationship with the owner.
  • Bowyer & his team will battle bravely against the odds, but the owner will sack him after a few poor results to underline his status as a total ****
  • I think Lee will enjoy the challenge, he will get everything out of the players he has, hopefully some loans by next week and I see Charlton ending mid-table.
  • I reckon he's looking at the "long game",  post RD, and he may be thinking he can be a bit of a one club management legend, if he aint already. Given the right backing, Charlton is definitely a club someone like LB can really get on at, and add to that he's history with the club too..

He may also be doing exactly what a lot of people (including me) moan is lacking in modern football, showing a bit if loyalty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• bowyer can do no wrong he can reach hero status this season by beating them slags away and proceeding to chin harris 
  • edited August 2019
    He can't lose, if we get relegated no one can blame him, if we stay up he's worked a miracle.
    The winner is Stu.

Plus Lee must've thought with the promotion there is a slim possibility come  August 3rd that Douchebag wouldn't be paying his wages. Lee knew this was unlikely so had his own remit and target.
    To get promotion last season and stay up this. 
    If Bowyer achieved both targets he will be in demand come the end of the 19/20 season and can move to a championship club with at least a mid championship budget and ambition.

Unless we get taken over in the interim with the same objectives shown by new owners with a reasonable amount of dynamism and ambition. Unfortunately I can't see any way out of this impasse of 28 months and counting.

• Bowyer & his team will battle bravely against the odds, but the owner will sack him after a few poor results to underline his status as a total ****
       I've thought about that but can't really see it now.
      Duchatelet is into that don't give a shit stage. Believe it or not he did once give a shit. 
    But that was more about how his appointments would play out and whether his(Duchatelets) tactics would work.

We are way past that trigger happy I know best  stage. And Bowyer really doesn't give him a lot of grief where a new man possibly would.

Unless it's catastrophic and the fans are on his back to get rid I can't see it happening
  • if lee went somewhere like derby, west brom if they were bottom half of the table after 10 games his days are numbered plus its living out of london, he has fishing lakes in france, we are close to france via dover etc. 

we are going to be in a relegation scrap and if you dont think we will be then ill shake your hand and kindly have some of what you have been smoking/drinking 

we go down - he cant be blamed as smallest budget in the league and laws of probability.

we stay up - the guy has done an unreal job. 
  • edited August 2019
    It’s the perfect managerial job in football, the owner never come to matches and just lets him get on with it, the fans back him 100% and every week is another opportunity to enhance his reputation and prove wrong the muppets who never go to the games but still feel they are informed enough to say the team is doomed. What’s not to like ?
    Those muppets that go to games or otherwise are looking at the wider picture. Bowyer has something about him but having the lowest budget in this league and currently a worse squad than last season just eight days from the kickoff does very much look like a doom situation. Statistically teams with the lowest budget in The Championship get relegated within three years. For our budget to match the average in League One even if we survive this season we need a new owner. Regardless of outcome we will be rebuilding seven or eight players again this time next season. No way to build on any successes. Yes we need to get behind Bowyer and his players but I don’t think doom is too strong a word for our current plight. 

• I think he stayed because whatever was offered here is better than what was on offer elsewhere.
  • se9addick said:
    I think he stayed because whatever was offered here is better than what was on offer elsewhere.
    I don't agree with that at all. I genuinely think he'd rather be at Charlton, doing well on okay money, than being elsewhere up against it one better money
  • edited August 2019
    As I said as I said on another thread the other day, LB is clearly frustrated and his optimistic sound bites are becoming fewer and fewer. Nevertheless, I think he’ll see it through, partly because he’s a determined little bugger who is completely focussed on the challenge and partly because he has a free throw because everyone and his dog knows the constraints he’s operating under. He may well make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear yet again but if he doesn’t he’s pretty blameless. 

i wrote that before hearing today’s press conference. I think things are even worse than anyone thought. As @AFKABartram correctly points out, LB is a grown man and he made his decision to stay knowing the position.  I think LB genuinely expected to be able to recruit and retain within the low budget, but it’s not working out that way at all. Will he stick it out?  IMHO, He’ll stay and have a go but everyone has their breaking point. 
  • I reckon Bowyer's still here for 2 reasons:

1) He's got the right coaching team around him and he feels he's building something long term.

2) The challenge is everything. He's testing himself and accumulating valuable experience.