Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

50th anniversary Moon landing

13»

Comments

• edited July 2019
    se9addick said:
    Would love to see a Mars landing in my lifetime but, unless there is a cultural and/or political change in the US I can’t see it. NASA’s budget is currently something like 0.4% of GDP vs 4% during the space race. Maybe if China start looking like landing on Mars/the Moon the US will change its attitude.
    See where you are coming from and in a perfect world I would agree with you. 
    But planet earth is going to need every penny we have over the next ten years what with climate change and an ever-growing population. 
    Mars unfortunately will have to wait. 
    And the best way to achieve that is through international co-operation and close co-ordination with other countries. Some kind of pan-European organisation where countries can work closely together on the environment and all kinds of technology sharing and with close educational ties would be great. Somewhere that as a powerful social and economic group you could put pressure on other countries... I wonder if that could happen? ;) 

• edited July 2019
    The BBC have done a great podcast series about the Apollo 11 mission called '13 Minutes To The Moon', a very good listen (plus the theme music is Hans Zimmer).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2/episodes/player
  • Stig said:
    I was four and don't remember watching it at the time - not sure if that's because I didn't see it or or just can't remember (increasingly the way of things). For many years after though, I had a poster of this picture on my bedroom wall:

Posters on your bedroom wall might be another good topic for a seperate thread. I had a picture of Roger Bannister just edging out Aussie John Landy in what what dubbed  Mile of the Century.  Both had recently run four minute miles - huge achievements in those days.
  • I was 16. Was in France with my family and on Bastille Day I drank French red wine for the 1st time and way too much. So I spent the moon landing with the worst hangover ever, laying outside a tent trying to keep in the shade as it was blazing hot. (In hindsight, and the memory is getting a bit jaded, but it may not have been the actual moon landing. Maybe the launch). In either case I felt like shit but I do remember a radio playing as I was dying. 
  • edited July 2019
    I hadn't realised it had been 50 years, they kept it quiet, if only someone could have bothered to put on a few TV programmes or newspaper articles I might have noticed!
  • "I'm with you L.E.M.
    Though it's a shame that it had to be you.
    The Mother ship
    is just a blip on your trip made for two.
    I'm with you boys
    so please employ just a little extra care
    It's on my mind
    I'm left behind when I could have been there.
    Walking with you"

So sang Jethro Tull on their excellent song "For Michael Collins.....".
    Imagine going all that way but not joining your colleagues on the moon surface.

Anyway, what a momentous, historic moment.
    Thrilled that it happened in my lifetime and that at 15 I was old enough to watch in wonder.
  • From Wiki:  In a July 2009 interview with The Guardian, Collins revealed that he was very worried about Armstrong and Aldrin's safety. He was also concerned in the event of their deaths on the Moon, he would be forced to return to Earth alone and, as the mission's sole survivor, be regarded as "a marked man for life".
  • "I'm with you L.E.M.
    The Mother ship
    I'm with you boys
    It's on my mind
    Walking with you"

Thrilled that it happened in my lifetime and that at 15 I was old enough to watch in wonder.
    After having to listen to hours of the stuff in the sixth form common room, my completely biased opinion is that, there is no song that Ian Anderson ever warbled his flute on, whilst standing on one leg like a demented goblin, that could ever be considered excellent.
  • Halix said:
    "I'm with you L.E.M.
    The Mother ship
    I'm with you boys
    It's on my mind
    Walking with you"

After having to listen to hours of the stuff in the sixth form common room, my completely biased opinion is that, there is no song that Ian Anderson ever warbled his flute on, whilst standing on one leg like a demented goblin, that could ever be considered excellent.
    Consider yourself flagged!
  • Maybe manned mission to Mars is getting closer:

Elon Musk unveils Starship designed to take crew on round-trips to Mars

• Sponsored links:

• Take anything this diet Bond Villain says with a pinch of salt. He's batshit crazy, and getting crazier. Surprised he hasn't built The Spruce Moose yet... 🙄
  • I was in San Sebastián.
  • Space may be the final frontier - but it’s made in a Hollywood basement. 
  • Nice to know there is a British company (Reaction Engines) working away to contribute to the space program and advanced air travel courtesy of a new hypersonic engine.  Rolls Royce and Boeing are heavily invested - looks a serious project.

https://www.reactionengines.co.uk/ 

• The BBC have done a great podcast series about the Apollo 11 mission called '13 Minutes To The Moon', a very good listen (plus the theme music is Hans Zimmer).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2/episodes/player
    Big thanks to Rufus is a dogs name for bringing this podcast to my attention. I downloaded all 12 x episodes and listened to them while I was on holiday last week.

I have to say they are probably the most interesting/informative/eye opening podcasts I have ever listed too. The interviews with some of the main players in the moon landing were fantastic from the astronauts right down to the lady that was responsible for checking the punch cards for the computer software. 

The moody music by Hans Zimmer brought it all to life as well.

Thanks Rufus.
  • am jealous of anyone that got to watch this

Born too early to explore the universe
    Born too late to explore the planet :(
  • For those who have Apple TV+ - if you havent watched For all mankind yet, it's worth a watch
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Not the Moon but has anyone been following some of the Mars Perseverance rover footage? Pretty amazing stuff...