Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Netball World Cup

Anyone watched any of the games?

Have watched a few and have been surprised at the speed of the game. A far better watch than I expected.

Comments

• Have watched the odd 10 minutes here and there.
    Too many fouls for me and seemingly very difficult to miss your shot.
  • would be better if they had a back board behind the net and they could run with the ball and bounce it ;)
  • would be better if they had a back board behind the net and they could run with the ball and bounce it ;)
    What would you call this game?
  • Lovely .. lots of fit, athletic, hot, sweaty and shapely young ladies running about .. what's not to like .. and they are mostly pretty good at netball as well  
  • Lovely .. lots of fit, athletic, hot, sweaty and shapely young ladies running about .. what's not to like .. and they are mostly pretty good at netball as well  
    Glad to see you're a fan!
  • Why does the action stop every time someone catches the ball?
  • Why does the action stop every time someone catches the ball?
    To allow for appreciation of the skill.
  • More effective than moving (on a small court) before the player has caught the ball and ready to pass
  • I played this for a while as a work thing. I couldn't get my head around all the fouls - it seemed far to technical. The thing is, I got this massive long scratch along the underside of my arm from a girl who really wanted the ball I had, and it wasn't a foul even though it drew blood. Then I catch the bloody ball and it is a foul for some reason. That was that for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• When's our first game?
  • Then, most of the team aren't allowed to score a goal and whereas in football you can score beautify goals, in cricket you can play great shots, in rugby, you can score fantastic tries. Even in basketball, which isn't that much of a step up you can make a basket look good. In netball, it is like some tall person putting rubbish in a tall bin!

Girls should be playing football at school and netball should be kicked into touch. I think it is patronising against women that there is this sport that boys are not encouraged to play. 
  • At the least they should play korfball which is mixed.
  • It's a great game; can be played at many levels with varying levels of fitness. At the top level, the players have very good fitness levels and are very athletic. There are lots of mixed teams too
  • My Daughter was a good player and played Goal attack or goal shooter. Because of work or my football watching or coaching commitments, I only got to see a few matches but felt too much whistle and petty rules.

The semi finals are the best 4 teams. (No surprises)
    Australia v South Africa, which the Aussie should win by 8 points or so.
    England v New Zealand should go down to the wire, with a super over a possibility (metaphorically speaking)

Why don't the team's get more points from long shots ?   Joe Harten our GS/GA can score from long distance but along with Helen Housby they end up under the net. 

Have enjoyed the England matches I've seen but still think some innovative tinkering of the rules and scoring would give the game more mass appeal.
  • Loved playing it. 
    Center, Wing Attack & Wing Defence. 
    Even played in competitions at work. 
    But I find it really dull to watch. 
    Good luck to the Roses. 
  • Loved playing it. 
    Good luck to the Roses. 
    At this WC and international level surely you shouldn't be allowed to score within 6 foot ? Have a semi circle where you can't score from. It just too easy for these 6ft Amazon's to score. Would be a better sport if you only had a 50% chance of netting. 
  • Loved playing it. 
    Good luck to the Roses. 
    At this WC and international level surely you shouldn't be allowed to score within 6 foot ? Have a semi circle where you can't score from. It just too easy for these 6ft Amazon's to score. Would be a better sport if you only had a 50% chance of netting. 
    So you’re saying to completely change the rules of the game just to make it harder to score?
    Nah, there is a skill to defending the shooters without drawing penalties, well there certainly used to be. Our Goal Keepers & Goal Defenders were always the tallest girls, even taller than the Goal Attacks and Goal Shooters. 
  • NZ revenge .. the Silver Ferns beat England in the semi .. ANZAC final .. terrific game, NZ just had more class and poise
  • Not watched any of this until today - that was mad. Played at an absolutely rapid pace by both teams and the refs were constantly making calls. Far more exciting than I thought netball could be - very pleasantly surprised!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Too many fouls for me to be truly entertaining. Basically, if you are defending and you fart, it is a foul against you! But you could see that for us, Horton really stepped up when it mattered and her strike partner seemed to lose it after a decent start. Surprised she was not taken off. I think keeping her on cost us! You could see Horton was getting annoyed with her! 
  • edited July 2019
    Eng v NZ - I thought it was a game of four quarters
  • Loved playing it. 
    Good luck to the Roses. 
    So you’re saying to completely change the rules of the game just to make it harder to score?
    Nah, there is a skill to defending the shooters without drawing penalties, well there certainly used to be. Our Goal Keepers & Goal Defenders were always the tallest girls, even taller than the Goal Attacks and Goal Shooters. 
    The New Zealand defence were awesome against England, both Housby and Harten were affected by the close marking and the H bombs were well below their  normal average. At least have 2 points from long range. 
    I want the Kiwis to have more luck today than last Sunday !
    They should of drawn in the group game against the Aussies.
  • edited July 2019
    Too many fouls for me to be truly entertaining. Basically, if you are defending and you fart, it is a foul against you! But you could see that for us, Horton really stepped up when it mattered and her strike partner seemed to lose it after a decent start. Surprised she was not taken off. I think keeping her on cost us! You could see Horton was getting annoyed with her! 
    Harten and Housby had averages in the high 90's during this tournament, and were superb in their last group game. A combo of good defending and  nerves finally affected the partnership.  
    Eng v NZ - I thought it was a game of four quarters
    NZ+3
    Eng+6
    NZ+6
    Eng+1

The 3rd quarter lost the match for England.
  • edited July 2019
    They both look very strong, but I thought at the key part of yesterday's game - one of them stepped up (Harten) and one got nervous. She seemed to bottle a few opportunities and when there is only a couple of points in it, you have the difference.
  • An exciting final where the small nation of New Zealand won the Netball WC by one goal.  
    Good to see NZ beat Australia.
    As long as more women and girls participate in sport to make a healthy environment then magic.
  • I find it too technical. 
    If they're serious about reaching out beyond those who already like it they have a problem.
    It's not as dynamic as basketball (which I really don't like) and is actually quite boring.
    I don't think it'll be anything over than a minority sport.
  • I don't think it is boring but then again I do understand the rules. It could be said rugby and cricket have complicated rules; I understand both too so do not know how much not understanding them detracts from the enjoyment
  • NZ have some consolation for the cricket I guess!
  • I have absolutely loved the Netball World Cup: exciting, fast-paced and so skilful. Played a lot many years ago and it was never as fast as it is now!
     The rules are not complicated and the umpires say what the decision is to the players and crowd. On the other hand, I dislike basketball as too much about flashy showmanship to me.
    Sad Tracey and The Roses didn't win!