Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Index

Has anyone joined Football Index where you can buy shares in footballers gambling on their future success on the Footie Stockmarket?  Could be a bit of fun! 

Comments

• I joined a while back and found it annoying to use. Plus there weren't many players on there. So I tried to withdraw my £30 and they told me I needed to provide a photo of my passport and other documents to withdraw any money.

Thought that was a bit of swizz and obviously aimed at lazy gits like me who would rather just leave the money on there than go through the hassle! 
  • Surprised this hasn't been mentioned previously. I'm on it, the progression and rise in prices since I re joined last October. My Portfolio is nearly up a 3rd of what I've deposited. Can see more rises in the next couple of years as their marketing budget has massively increased as you might have noticed they actually sponsor Nottingham Forest. My advise is it won't give you the instant buzz win like Betting and if you are going to do, try research as much as possible.
  • Surprised this hasn't been mentioned previously. I'm on it, the progression and rise in prices since I re joined last October. My Portfolio is nearly up a 3rd of what I've deposited. Can see more rises in the next couple of years as their marketing budget has massively increased as you might have noticed they actually sponsor Nottingham Forest. My advise is it won't give you the instant buzz win like Betting and if you are going to do, try research as much as possible.
    What sort of players have you gone for? I had a look into it but it’s more of a long term thing, and you’d need to spend enough to make it worthwhile.
  • Scoham said:
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned previously. I'm on it, the progression and rise in prices since I re joined last October. My Portfolio is nearly up a 3rd of what I've deposited. Can see more rises in the next couple of years as their marketing budget has massively increased as you might have noticed they actually sponsor Nottingham Forest. My advise is it won't give you the instant buzz win like Betting and if you are going to do, try research as much as possible.
    What sort of players have you gone for? I had a look into it but it’s more of a long term thing, and you’d need to spend enough to make it worthwhile.

It defo is more long term. I have gone for a completely mixed portfolio with around 80 different players, I have also kept record of previous Dividend winners which means I have random players in who I've never seen play before. Along with player's who I feel have big potential so will hold for a couple of years. Having a diverse portfolio I would say is less risky than going big on few players however the reward is sometimes not as much, for example my friend who I introduced has got a higher % of profit than me but he can really suffer if the players he hold decrease.
  • All just another form of gambling, with complete guesswork. Surprised haven't dabbled, but cant actually see it being worthwhile unless you heavily invest and do the research.

A bit of fun I suppose which could work out well, but never really been tempted to even have a look.

• What happens when a player retires? 

Effectively they will go down to zero...which is why players gradually go down the older they get.
  • Have looked at it a few times but haven't got involved yet
  • Up over 2k from it. Much safer than standard gambling.
  • Sponsored links:

Effectively they will go down to zero...which is why players gradually go down the older they get.
    Surely then you just short any player over 30 and wait a few years?
  • edited July 2019
    I tried it out last year and it bored me silly . Very little happens and it’s not really worth the effort unless you invest a large amount of money . 
    Also they wouldn’t let me withdraw my money without two things to prove my identity but they took the original money without a question.
    Have a bet instead it’s much more interesting.
  • Bumping this thread.

Started up on Football Index beginning of the year and really enjoying it - surprised to read a few negative experiences above. Wonder if they've evolved the product, they seemed to push it heavily based on the amount of advertising over Xmas which clearly worked on me!

Many other active users on here?
  • Wouldn't call myself an active user, chucked £50 in last year, bought mainly ex Charlton players/young English talent and haven't touched it since, now up to £73 so happy days! 
  • Finally got involved during the lockdown and have got shares in a few players and currently showing a 4.83% profit on investment in five weeks. 
  • edited May 2020
    Nice. Most players dropped like a stone when footy was cancelled back in March, so a good time to get involved as players inevitably have risen back now most major leagues have shown intention to restart.

I used to gamble far too much, have completely stopped the traditional stuff and this is giving me a long term investing/betting fix without the prospect of losing it all on one dodgy acca. Wish I'd have been involved from begin of last season, could have profited nicely on Conor Gallagher. One of my biggest holds now! I'm +9.6% since Jan.
  • but who decides if a players value goes up or down ?

Is there a finite amount of shares in a player?
  • It works like a stock market, so its all on demand. if people want to buy a player, his price goes up. I think its something like 900 shares purchased to make the player rise 1p in value (I might be wrong, but you get the idea). Likewise, if the same amount get sold, the player will drop. 

At the moment if you sell a player, you can either sell it to someone willing to buy from you or sell back to Football Index at a lower price and they assume the liability. I dont think there is finite amount of shares, but again, dont know for certain. They're introducing order books as they expand the product and have teamed up with NASDAQ...the long term aim is for it to function as a stock order book on the FTSE would for example.

You can make money from the cap appreciation (player going up in value) or from 'dividend' payouts. These are done through player performance or media performance, so I've found if I own De Bruyne lets say and you're watching a City game, still getting a slight betting buzz as wanting him to perform well as a player i.e. score or assist. Not an instant win though, I view it more as investing like I would in stocks/funds. Ultimately the price of a player on football index can be valued as you would analyse a company share price which I quite like.

Takes a bit of time reading up on to understand the mechanism, but some good content on youtube and the website forum itself. Sorry for the essay...
  • Dumped all my money into Gallagher when we signed him, made a killing 
  • I let the media buzz points pass me by to start with and bought young players I expected to improve in time. But have read up more in the time I’ve been on the index and bought shares in Ronaldo Monday and have earnt 6p a share in four days just through media points.
  • Sponsored links:

• I let the media buzz points pass me by to start with and bought young players I expected to improve in time. But have read up more in the time I’ve been on the index and bought shares in Ronaldo Monday and have earnt 6p a share in four days just through media points.
    Yeah I did likewise at first, but when footy got cancelled and media was the only payout I jumped on the Pogba/Ronaldo/Bruno bandwagon
  • Amazing platform.
    I’ve made 4K profit now, but still aspiring towards my younger brother who has made 40k profit!! 
  • he must have picked a couple of youngsters who became superstars surely ?
  • Just built up enough shares in players that he turns over thousands in dividends which he reinvests. The money is in the players that return dividends.
  • Football Index, an online betting company that bills itself as a "stock market" for football, has entered administration and had its gambling licences suspended.

Betting has been suspended and customers are unable to make deposits or withdrawals.

Championship side QPR have said they will no longer carry the Football Index logo on the front of their home and away shirts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56378282

• A friend of a work colleague has around £10k in his account which he can’t withdraw.
  • Luckily I got out before Christmas as you could see where it was going then
  • I've never seen a deleted user before.
    Bearing in mind they appear to have called it right I was wondering if their deletion was to do with this?
  • As I understand it, not from our end Covered End. We only delete users if they specifically request it, so unless said user was concerned about getting blowback from elsewhere about that comment, I doubt it's connected.