Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

P.S.A

Any Advice please. I had a blood test recently and my P.S.A is high according to my Doctor(dont know what the readings were) so I have an appointment at my local Hospital for examination which lasts about 2 hours. Can any one tell me what
 is involved and the pain/discomfort. Serious answers please, I am worried enough as it is.

Comments

• For your age Derek, readings should be between 1-4, anything over that and they will generally start investigating.

Finger up the bum time I'm afraid!
  • My profile name does not reflect my age,I am older than that.
  • Whatever they do, it will either put your mind at rest or be the first step towards getting healthy. 

Good luck.
  • edited June 2019
    PSA readings are notoriously unreliable according to my medics acquaintances .. the 'finger up the bum' is not as bad as you might think (I presume you are a 'virgin' to this procedure) and the 'fingerer' (lol) can tell a lot by feeling the size of your prostate.
    Prostates tend to enlarge with age and an enlargement does not necessarily mean that it is cancerous.
    Nowadays prostate surgery is a very last resort even when cancer is found. There are ways to control the problem through medication and radiation.
    The trick is not to get too worried, although that is easy for me to say, and to always ask for a second opinion, and that goes for any anxiety causing potential health problem 

EDIT I forgot to add that a preliminary examination with involves taking 'samples' from your prostate for analysis is unpleasant. For my part, that should only be done when a dangerous cancer has been pretty much verified. But remember, I write this as a layman 

GOOD LUCK
  • edited June 2019
    Derek loads of fans had a PSA test done at The Valley recently. Read this thread my friend.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3556437#Comment_3556437
    PS A finger up the bum test takes what 10 seconds and is literally no problem at all.
  • As Lincs said, don't fret too much at this stage. I had a false positive a few years ago. There can be many other reasons for an elevated PSA, such as prostatitis, having had sex within a few days of the test, even cycling can cause an elevation of the antigen. I had an MRI and a more specific PSA blood test which measures Free and Complexed PSA within the blood. Thankfully I had negative results from both, and a subsequent PSA test was back in the normal range. 
    I decided against a biopsy, as although routine, it is not without risks and still misses 20% of cancers anyway.
    Even if you have very early stage prostate cancer, these days there is a lot of debate about whether prostatectomy is a superior treatment to simply taking a conservative approach of watching and waiting.
    Most older men develop prostate cancer eventually, but usually something else kills them before the prostate cancer does.
    As Lincs said, seek a second opinion before making any big decisions as different doctors have different ideas about the best course of treatment according to your age and other important factors.

• Hi Derek...i really don't think you have anything to worry about at the moment....what other blood or pee tests have been done ? Do you have any other issues..for instance peeing to much or too little? Anything changed Down there? Ahem ? ...I feel for you as I have just spent the last 2 weeks fearing the worst just like you ...I am fine and I expect you are ..but you are Doing the right thing getting checked...good luck old son 
  • Sponsored links:

• They don’t always do the old invasive test nowadays. They use the baby scan technology to get a 3D picture of the prostrate. 
    If they are unhappy with the scans they may take a scape of it - local anaesthetic- for lab analysis. 
    Not much pain involved, more discomfort, but better to be safe. 
  • Thank you so much for all your positive comments,very reassuring. I have no symptoms,it was only because of my age(76) that caused the Doctor to do a PSA test.
  • I have had a few MRI scans in the past so not worried about that. I think I would rather have the Prostrate removed instead of Radiation treatment. My father had that for Cancer from working on
    Nuclear Submarines in Chatham Dockyard.
  • Best of luck, however things turn out. 
  • I’m coming up to 60. My PSA reading last October was 4.7 and my doctor packed me off to hospital on a two week cancer referral. Had the examination and they found a lump. So I had an MRI scan. Thankfully, no cancer but I do have an enlarged prostate. I’ve had a cystoscopy and my prostate weighs 100g when a normal one should weigh about 20g. I was booked in for surgery (TURPS) to have it shaved but at the last minute the surgeon decided it was too risky because of the potential amount of blood I’d lose. I’m now on a waiting list at Guys for Green Light laser surgery which is less risky and I’m only in hospital for a day. Try not to worry until there’s something to worry about. All the best ... 
  • There is a video on youtube with Stephen Fry going through the detection and surgery procecdure you may be interested in.But he went private so it was a lot quicker,time wise. I certainly feel
     better reading all your comments.

• PS A finger up the bum test takes what 10 seconds and is literally no problem at all.
    I guess that has a lot to do with whether it has been one way traffic all your life.
  • edited June 2019
    PSA readings are notoriously unreliable according to my medics acquaintances .. the 'finger up the bum' is not as bad as you might think (I presume you are a 'virgin' to this procedure) and the 'fingerer' (lol) can tell a lot by feeling the size of your prostate.
    Prostates tend to enlarge with age and an enlargement does not necessarily mean that it is cancerous.
    Nowadays prostate surgery is a very last resort even when cancer is found. There are ways to control the problem through medication and radiation.
    The trick is not to get too worried, although that is easy for me to say, and to always ask for a second opinion, and that goes for any anxiety causing potential health problem 

EDIT I forgot to add that a preliminary examination with involves taking 'samples' from your prostate for analysis is unpleasant. For my part, that should only be done when a dangerous cancer has been pretty much verified. But remember, I write this as a layman 

GOOD LUCK
    The finger up the bum is just slightly uncomfortable. No big deal, honest.

But please remember that you have a right to have an MRI scan if they believe your prostate is either enlarged or cancerous. If you have a two hour appointment it's possible they plan to give you an MRI scan. If they plan to give you a biopsy I'd tell them you want an MRI scan first. This is your right since a NICE ruling about twelve months ago.
    Best of luck. 
  • Todays the day for my two hour Hospital ordeal,hope ii is less than that. Trying not to worry,but not easy.
  • Derek1952 said:
    Todays the day for my two hour Hospital ordeal,hope ii is less than that. Trying not to worry,but not easy.

Good luck mate

• Sponsored links:

• Thank You
  • Back from Hospital,not good Doctor thinks it is prostate cancer and probably spread to the bones. I have a month of taken hormone tablets to try to arrest the spread.P.S.A is 1200 NOT GOOD. The
     highest is about 25,000.
  • Sorry to hear your bad news. Hope you've got some support.
  • Sorry to hear that.

Hope they can deal with it now they know about it.
  • Hi Derek 
    Sorry to hear your news please keep us posted we are on your team 

• Derek1952 said:
    Back from Hospital,not good Doctor thinks it is prostate cancer and probably spread to the bones. I have a month of taken hormone tablets to try to arrest the spread.P.S.A is 1200 NOT GOOD. The
     highest is about 25,000.
    Don’t despair Derek......still lots that can be done and there are some very very good procedures that can be performed, the success rates for prostate cancer treatment gets better and better by the day.
    Stay positive old chap.
  • Sorry to hear your news @Derek1952
    Best of luck with your treatments.
  • All the best Derek, try and stay positive,
  • Best wishes, Derek. Best of luck with the treatments. Fingers crossed 🤞 
  • Good luck, Derek.