Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Wimbledon Queue

Thinking of doing the queue this year for the first time. We've been lucky over the last 5 years and got centre court tickets twice, once through the public ballot and once local tennis club. TBH I'd be happy with a ground pass. Anyone here done the queue?

Comments

• Did it about 20 years ago.
    I think we got there about 8am and scraped in to no 2 court.
    I'm guessing to get centre or No 1 you'll need to be there by 6 or 7 am, but only guessing.
  • Er no sorry mate.
  • Many, many years ago managed to be first on Centre Court when they sold standing tickets on the day - first train from Abbey Wood, queuing for hours, then running like mad once through the turnstiles. All for the second or third match on - McEnroe. 

Good luck.
  • Went once on first tuesday before the tube started, got centre court, and it was raining.  I think you have to queue overnight these days which is probably a better idea as I was just nodding off by the time we was watching the tennis
  • Thinking of doing the same this year during the first week, might camp as it's just as easy as getting up very early and getting over there with not much public transport open yet, and should get a show court that way.

There's a Twitter page (ViewfromtheQ I think) where people post what time they got there and how far down the queue they were so it might give you an idea of how early to go.
  • Thanks for the replies.  Coming up from Cornwall so will have to commit to a day.  Best thing seems to be to avoid days when Federer is playing, but will have to guess that...
  • I'd be happy to just get outside courts in the first week. Chances are you'd see a better match and with a close up view rather than Djokovic in 3rd gear beating a British wild card in straight sets
  • I know someone who does it every year.  She gets there about 7am and usually gets to see lots of outside court matches.

I'm told it's all very civilised and there is lots of camaraderie.

• I'd be happy to just get outside courts in the first week. Chances are you'd see a better match and with a close up view rather than Djokovic in 3rd gear beating a British wild card in straight sets
    Agreed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know someone who does it every year.  She gets there about 7am and usually gets to see lots of outside court matches.

I'm told it's all very civilised and there is lots of camaraderie.

Great. 7am is doable...
  • I have queued overnight. It's good fun and we ended up on Centre Court.

• We did it about 18 years ago. 
    Bowled up about 10:30. Took a good few hours. Got outer court tickets.

It was a scorching hot day. I remember some savvy fella selling Tesco ice lollies for £3 a pop. Reckon he paid £2 for a box of 15!
  • Done the queue every year from 2013 till 2017. We always went first week and early in the week . Left home about 4 always had to wait for the car park to open . I think you can now pre book the car park. Good half hour walk to end of the queue. Normally would be in the 3000s in the queue twice we was in the 5000s . Once inside have gone to the practice courts a few times and court hoped . Last time we stayed on court 12 most of the day and ended up with a resale on Court 1 . Truly great day out and go place to people spot . Enjoy 😊 
  • I done it a few years ago. Arrive early and the queue goes down quite quickly. I was lucky and managed to get No1 court tickets. If the weather is nice its a really good day out
  • Sorry, not a queue question, but can anyone with better Wimbledon knowledge than me let me know what I can expect to see on Court 1 on the final Saturday (13 July)? Obviously Women's singles final will be on Centre Court so I'm wondering if I'll get anything half decent? I've managed to get tickets in the Ballot for the first time.
  • Sorry, not a queue question, but can anyone with better Wimbledon knowledge than me let me know what I can expect to see on Court 1 on the final Saturday (13 July)? Obviously Women's singles final will be on Centre Court so I'm wondering if I'll get anything half decent? I've managed to get tickets in the Ballot for the first time.
    https://www.wimbledondebentureholders.com/schedule

Ladies Final | Ladies Doubles Final | Mens Doubles Final
    Boys and girls finals? Over 35 invitation matches?

Unless a backlog means that one of the main finals is moved over, you're unlikely to see anything spectacular
    Boys and girls finals? Over 35 invitation matches?

Unless a backlog means that one of the main finals is moved over, you're unlikely to see anything spectacular
    Cheers, that is what a suspected may be the case. A shame as not overly bothered for just boys and girls finals!
  • edited June 2019
    I'd be happy to just get outside courts in the first week. Chances are you'd see a better match and with a close up view rather than Djokovic in 3rd gear beating a British wild card in straight sets
    I was thinking that but then camping seems just as easy as a ridiculously early start to get to the queue at a decent hour.  

I'm torn, we were thinking outside courts and return tickets as it's cheaper etc, but it seems a pain to get into London by 7am or something, especially if we fancy a few drinks and don't drive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Not that I go there for the tennis unless its for corporate entertainment but I seem to recall neighbours here in SW19 going along (a few years ago now I admit) after work and getting in on tickets handed in by people leaving for the day and were being resold by the LTA for Charity. No idea if that’s still the case but might be worth checking out. A few hours of watching tennis in the evening has got to be just as boring as watching a few hours of  tennis during the day so you’d get the same experience.
  • Not that I go there for the tennis unless its for corporate entertainment but I seem to recall neighbours here in SW19 going along (a few years ago now I admit) after work and getting in on tickets handed in by people leaving for the day and were being resold by the LTA for Charity. No idea if that’s still the case but might be worth checking out. A few hours of watching tennis in the evening has got to be just as boring as watching a few hours of  tennis during the day so you’d get the same experience.
    You can get returns from 3pm.
  • i'd avoid middle saturday if you can
  • i'd avoid middle saturday if you can
    Gotta assume that the queue for the weekend are going to be bigger.

I think I'll go for camping on first Tues from around 2pm for Weds or possibly Weds for Thurs.
  • Wednesday overnight camping for Thursday tickets in the first week is what we're going to do I think.
  • Wednesday overnight camping for Thursday tickets in the first week is what we're going to do I think.
    Warmest night of the year. Sounds like a plan.
    It's meant to hit 86F on Wednesday.
  • So do you then have to carry your tent around for the rest of the day ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    So do you then have to carry your tent around for the rest of the day ?
    Apparently you can store it in oversized lockers for a fiver...
  • edited June 2019
    Sorry haven't read all the replies as watching  Holland v Canada, cooking duties and just had barny with neighbour who parks so far away from the kerb in our cul De sac that she has to get a lift to her front door ! 

I have been about 4 times in last 10 years and only go if The forecast is sunny with a 1% chance of rain. If you go on first two days you will see top players on out side courts but not  Rafa, Novak or Roger etc. 
    £22 last time I went may be £ 25 now but if you put up  with queuing in a park you will be given a card with a number on.
    We got there at 7am and still got in by 11.30 before play started on the out side courts.
    The tent people have their own queue and give them a wide berth as some haven't washed for a week.
    I'm a tennis nut and enjoy being close up to the action. 
    Highlight was doing up my shoe laces when Maria Sharapova Walked within touching distant ? I may be on the wrong thread for my next thoughts !

It works out to £2 an hour if you stay till 9pm. If not you  can eat drink and be merry and spend £100 watching the celebs. 

Anyone for tennis ?
  • I went to Roland Garros last year and having been to Wimbledon many times I can honestly say RG is a very poor man's Wimbeldon, there's hardly any atmosphere around the place and even in the stadia.  I watched France's best player (Gasquet) play Rafa and the French fans were barely even supporting him apart from a few cries of ("Rishard").  Wimbledon is a great day out and always a great buzz, Brit fans always create a great atmosphere for all players, RG by comparison was really mundane and doubt I will go again