Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• England were pinging it around like a men's team at points in the first half. Mead was hugely wasteful though - every time the ball went out to her she'd slow it down, piss about then go backwards. Parris was much more like it down the other side - attacked the full-back and got her crosses in 
  • Leuth said:
    England were pinging it around like a men's team at points in the first half. Mead was hugely wasteful though - every time the ball went out to her she'd slow it down, piss about then go backwards. Parris was much more like it down the other side - attacked the full-back and got her crosses in 
    Some good points made there Leuth, that's why she ended up crossing with her left foot despite being like Johan berg Gudmundsson and playing on the wrong side! (he played on right side obviously)
    Mead is a very talented player as she showed with the offside goal but the Scottish defenders made an effort to keep her on her left. Greenwood was the overlap natural left footer.

Parris was very good down the right with her partnership with Bronze which had Scotland in all sorts of trouble for 60 minutes before Scotland turned up and played well for the last 30.

• I haven't had a chance to watch any of the games yet, got back from the ballet yesterday and the England game was on (sis in law's bf had it on whilst he was doing the family ironing ) and Scotland scored, so decided I was the bok and should not stay to watch the end!

Have been trying to get a womens world cup panini sticker book for my nieces but can't find one anywhere.

I like that my FIFA world cup app has updated to the womens one so easy to keep up to date with what's going on. My cousin's wife who plays football is out in France so enjoying her updates too.

I sadly have had a chance to read this thread, and some of the comments are woeful attempts at humour.

• edited June 2019
    I'm not particularly interested in women's football and in the past have been dismissive of it.
    After much thought I have come to the conclusion that even if it's not for me it is churlish to put it down. Growing numbers are obviously enjoying it and this cannot be anything but a good thing.
    So I hope it grows and becomes an established part of our sports culture. Who knows in time I might start watching it.

• suzisausage said:
    (sis in law's bf had it on whilst he was doing the family ironing ) sadly have had a chance to read this thread, and some of the comments are woeful attempts at humour. 
    Especially the bit in brackets above ;)
  • suzisausage said:
    (sis in law's bf had it on whilst he was doing the family ironing ) sadly have had a chance to read this thread, and some of the comments are woeful attempts at humour. 
    I knew I should have taken a photo. I couldn't quite believe it myself to be honest. As me and mum were leaving he served up dinner too!
  • suzisausage said:
    I knew I should have taken a photo. I couldn't quite believe it myself to be honest. As me and mum were leaving he served up dinner too!
    Is he a keeper?
  • No, a full back

• I’m not sure (although I could guess) why people keep comparing it to the men’s game, surely they have the intellectual capability to realise they are looking at two totally different things? 
    But then women's football IS directly comparable to men's football, as it's an identical sport. Indeed on TV we now have female pundits like Alex Scott and Eni Aluko analysing men's football because of this, if the game they played was massively different from men's football that wouldn't be the case.

Not knocking the skills and effort on display, but as a viewing spectacle the reduced speed and power does lessen my enjoyment of women's football, whereas with other sports like say hockey that isn't the case. 

• Sponsored links:

• I’m not sure (although I could guess) why people keep comparing it to the men’s game, surely they have the intellectual capability to realise they are looking at two totally different things? 
    But then women's football IS directly comparable to men's football, as it's an identical sport. Indeed on TV we now have female pundits like Alex Scott and Eni Aluko analysing men's football because of this, if the game they played was massively different from men's football that wouldn't be the case.

Not knocking the skills and effort on display, but as a viewing spectacle the reduced speed and power does lessen my enjoyment of women's football, whereas with other sports like say hockey that isn't the case. 

The two are directly comparable, and I appreciate that the reduced speed and power does lessen the spectacle in pure footballing terms. But the drama is still the same, and ultimately a really exciting game doesn't necessarily have to be played between two teams at the highest level.

I've played in a 6-4 game at the end of the season. We came back from 3-0 down. The standard of football was crap, but it didn't stop it from being a bloody exciting game of football and probably more of a spectacle than the 0-0 Liverpool and City played out back in October.

For what it's worth, had either side been playing any of the teams at this years WWC they would've been comfortably played off the park.
  • edited June 2019
    This is true - I probably enjoyed the women's match more than the men's match shown just before it. It isn't about skill levels or power, it is about the competitive nature of the game. Having seen a lot of youth football, I have seen some girls who are better than the boys before the physical difference plays a bigger part. Scotland's Emsley reminded me of those girls but nobody in the England team did. Maybe it was the rawness, but she was a very talented player and the best I have seen so far in the tournament albeit based on one match. She looked like the sort of player England would benefit from greatly.

England were very professional in the first half and overwhelmed Scotland but stopped doing that in the second. What it probably told us is that they are best on the front foot. In the first half I could see how they might win the cup, but changed my mind in the second.

Stanway (I think her name is) Has to play central midfield, and England did looked more purposeful and solid when she came on. Mead couldn't beat the defender so was ineffective. Bronze and Parris worked well together. Parris looked very good for 60 minutes or so but then totally faded.
  • MrOneLung said:
    No, a full back
    Left back, at home while the women were out on the town. 
  • edited June 2019
    The good news for the Lionesses and the Jocketts are that both Argentina and Japan are mediocre if 30 minutes of the first half is anything to go by.
    First boring match after 7 games.

• Argentina with eleven behind the ball. Almost impressive how committed to the 0-0 they are. Game could do with a red card or something 
  • The good news for the Lionesses and the Jocketts are that both Argentina and Japan are mediocre if 30 minutes of the first half is anything to go by.

Japan have made the last 2 world cup finals, they'll go far in this again.
  • I think certain positions are much more reliant on physicality than others - I think centre backs, forwards and goalkeeper are definitely an issue.
  • Argentina park two buses and Japan appear to have no strikers !

• Banini very skilful....
  • Argentina 0 Japan 0

The first dud match, but Argentina get their first ever point in WC against the 2011 WC winners.

• Sponsored links:

• Japan had no attacking threat - Argentina very good defensively apart from keeper who looked it a bit iffy.
  • It's the same keeper who scored two own goals in a game as they lost 11-0 to Germany in 2007. Progress 
  • She cant kick the ball and a liability at corners - England need to target her.
  • edited June 2019
    The good news for the Lionesses and the Jocketts are that both Argentina and Japan are mediocre if 30 minutes of the first half is anything to go by.

Japan have made the last 2 world cup finals, they'll go far in this again.
    No way. They look like Gobinson is in charge of them. Pass it around in front of teams all day long but no penetration whatsoever. Argentina were a level below them so had to defend, but they did so pretty easily I think.

Argentinaian keeper was definitely iffy but Japan couldn't capitalise.
  • So the referee for Canada v Cameroon has played in a World Cup for South Korea, not often a player goes from Player to Ref haha
  • Don’t think the Argies have played any friendlies for two years as in dispute over pay and not having a coach or something. 
    Think they only play qualifiers 
  • I think Neville needs to be very offensive minded against Argentina - I reckon we could get four or over against them.
  • US of A running riot against Thailand.
    3-0 in 30 minutes.
  • FIFA obviously had a word with the ref beforehand as two stonewall pens turned down as well. "Keep it under ten for god's sake"
  • 6-0 after 53 minutes. If this was boxing it would be stopped.