Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Va Va voom Henry with the 4th.
  • Gaby Logan just said a “shutout”! My first thought was her father would be turning in his grave. But I checked and he is still alive! Hope he has a word.
  • edited June 2019
    I have just discovered, to my surprise and shame, that I must be a misogynist, as I have absolutely no interest in the Women's World Cup, have no desire to watch it, and for no logical reason want it to fail. Rather similar to how I used to feel about American Football funnily enough.
  • Halix said:
    I have just discovered, to my surprise and shame, that I must be a misogynist, as I have absolutely no interest in the Women's World Cup, have no desire to watch it, and for no logical reason want it to fail. Rather similar to how I used to feel about American Football funnily enough.
    Welcome to CL, Ayatollah Halix.
  • Gaby Logan just said a “shutout”! My first thought was her father would be turning in his grave. But I checked and he is still alive! Hope he has a word.
    As Gabby knows more about football than any posters on CL, I think she said it as a joke because of Hope Solo the Ex US of A keeper and Model being a guest analyst.

As Gabby knows more about football than any posters on CL, I think she said it as a joke because of Hope Solo the Ex US of A keeper and Model being a guest analyst.

Does she?

That first lines a joke right?
  • edited June 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Gaby Logan just said a “shutout”! My first thought was her father would be turning in his grave. But I checked and he is still alive! Hope he has a word.

Does she?

Well every one other than me, tutt-tutt and Muttley who have frozen our fingers off over the years putting up nets on freezing, wet mornings and arranged training sessions and tried to placate parents who can't understand why theirs son's haven't been picked. Trying to explain why we are going to double up on a oppositions winger because he's just been released from Chelsea academy and has now signed for his mates team for a few matches while wondering if Millwall or Charlton will be his next move !

Just feel that Gabby has been immersed in football since she was 5 years old in her family and then later in her career and she is a very professional broadcaster who gets the nuances of football and Athletics.
  • edited June 2019
    France look very strong technically - this is a good advert for the woman's game and it's great to see a full stadium. Hope this world cup gives the women players the recognition they deserve.
    France are either favorites or second favorites. Seen a fair amount of them down the years. They've had this golden generation, some of whom have moved on, but which contained Thiney and Henry and Renard and Le Sommier, the spine of the team, and they're bloody brilliant. It has never quite clicked for them in tournaments where they've just run out of ideas against one of the big teams the last 2-3 times out. They've added some really good younger players, Cascarino (no relation) and Diani started last night, and they look stronger, much stronger, this time. 

They were excellent last night. A great advertisement for the sport, as CM says. Even as a US fan (in the women's game), it was hard not to cheer their goals. And their skipper, Amadine "Mandy" (as she was called here) Henry is absolute class. A fantastic holding/box-to-box midfielder. She played for the team I support here, the Portland Thorns, and she never quite hit the heights she was capable of but she was an absolute joy to watch. Lovely to see her get a goal as well. And she could be this tournament's Rurik Gislason, footballer turned model, except like, good at football. 

Germany China just about to kick off here. Both good teams, China perhaps not quite as good as years gone and Germany a team who have really grown in the last couple years. Can't promise entertaining football, but should be closely contested. 
  • Hope Solo is incredibly irritating.
    She's a really interesting figure, Hope Solo. She speaks her mind and at times has said things that others haven't had the temerity to say.

She can also be deeply annoying as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Decent game this one. China v Germany 
  • The Chinese should of scored a couple by now,  The Germans riding their luck because the Opposition can't hit the target.
  • Up to the age of 11 in my experience of the Tandridge League covering Kent, Surrey and a few London teams, the four or five girls who played in boys teams were at least equal if not superior to the boys. After this age the sexes go their own way for obvious reasons and the differences of the genders are XY and XX.

I will be amazed to see bigger mistakes made by the women in this WC than I have seen from De Gea and Loris and the John Stones suicidal way of defending including Charlton's comical own goal (we can lol about it now)

Enjoy the Women's WC but don't compare the sexes.
    This all over, my girl is 10 in a few weeks and plays in two teams, one all boys, one all girls. Physically at the moment, she is on par with the boys but that will only last another year or two. Technically she pisses all over both sides and she is easily the best player on the park most weeks.

Been asked for trials at Bournemouth, just completed her third stage of them at Southampton and also had FA Scouts from Dorset and Hampshire enquiring about joining their regional talent academies.

Completely different games, enjoy them both.
  • This referee loves to give a free-kick, especially when there hasn't been a foul. Four so far this half
  • fuck me the refereeing! more than the goalkeeping, this needs sorting and fast
  • Cracking goal by the German youngster.
    1-0 Germany.
  • edited June 2019
    @cafcpolo
    Good luck to your daughter and I hope she continues to progress and keeps the enjoyment.
    One of the Girls who so impressed and played for my son's club ended up at a USA college doing a sports science degree and playing in a competitive League before being signed by Reading in the women's premier.
    She played semi pro for the successful Charlton Women's team last season and coaches youngsters.
    Has never been a better time to be a female footballer, and should keep improving.

• SDAddick said:
    France look very strong technically - this is a good advert for the woman's game and it's great to see a full stadium. Hope this world cup gives the women players the recognition they deserve.
    France are either favorites or second favorites. Seen a fair amount of them down the years. They've had this golden generation, some of whom have moved on, but which contained Thiney and Henry and Renard and Le Sommier, the spine of the team, and they're bloody brilliant. It has never quite clicked for them in tournaments where they've just run out of ideas against one of the big teams the last 2-3 times out. They've added some really good younger players, Cascarino (no relation) and Diani started last night, and they look stronger, much stronger, this time. 

They were excellent last night. A great advertisement for the sport, as CM says. Even as a US fan (in the women's game), it was hard not to cheer their goals. And their skipper, Amadine "Mandy" (as she was called here) Henry is absolute class. A fantastic holding/box-to-box midfielder. She played for the team I support here, the Portland Thorns, and she never quite hit the heights she was capable of but she was an absolute joy to watch. Lovely to see her get a goal as well. And she could be this tournament's Rurik Gislason, footballer turned model, except like, good at football. 

Germany China just about to kick off here. Both good teams, China perhaps not quite as good as years gone and Germany a team who have really grown in the last couple years. Can't promise entertaining football, but should be closely contested. 
    France should be there or thereabouts given half their squad play for Lyon who've won 6 Champions league in the past 8 years.
  • Norway turning on the style against Nigeria. Second goal was thumped home
  • Enjoyed the Spain South Africa game earlier - been impressed with the games so far and it's getting good coverage here. We did a sweepstake at work and there was lots of interest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who are the fitties we should be looking out for?
  • drewman said:
    Who are the fitties we should be looking out for?
    Given they’re covering around 5km or more in a game, I’d say they’re all fit. 
  • edited June 2019
    There is an excellent article here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/LNoYd7se8m/the-lost-lionesses
    About the women’s team at the ‘71 World Cup in Mexico. 
  • Only started watching from HT but Aus v italy is 1-1 and the closest match so far.
    This is a good contest.

• Italy were a goal down and then equalised before getting the winner from a free kick just seconds before the end of Added time.
    This scenario would never happen in men's football !
  • England women are going to wipe the floor with the jockettes.
    That happened 2 years ago when Scotland had their best 5 players all injured.
    England should still edge it but Cuthbert, Little, Beattie are top players and if England don't bring there A game a surprise is possible.
  • Looking forward to the big game today. Scotland have some very good players - Little was called possibly the best player in the world in one piece I saw yesterday- so will be a typically tight England-Scotland game I reckon 
  • White ahead of Taylor up front for England.
    Big call by Neville but TBF Taylor hadn't been as sharp recently despite being a top tournament player.
    Game on.
  • VAR penalty. Technically correct but I think we’re getting too many penalties.