Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Morris .. Scunthorpe

He's been discussed many times on here.
Just been released by the Iron, surely this must be a result of injury as he has been a consistent scorer and creator for them over the past few years.

He flourished under Graham Alexander, now the Salford City manager. Be interesting to see if Alexander comes in for him.

The point ? .. IF Morris is relatively injury free or has a 'niggle' that is not too inhibiting (similar scenario to Jonny Williams), I'd love Bowyer to take a chance on him via a short term contract, say six months. He could prove to be both an inspired signing and a bargain. I can see him and Taylor forming a very good and skilful partnership.
As for me, I really hope that he is in fact fairly free from injury and that other factors have led to his 'release'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48309292

Comments

• He's a top earner and no way could they afford to keep him on in Div 4 with a new contract. I also think there's no way a player like him would accept a six-month offer from us!  He'll end up at Lincoln or Peterboro most likely on a 2-year deal.
  • I don't know why but Morris "didn't perform" to the same level last season.
    He went from 44 games & 19 goals to 29 games & 10 goals.
    I think he was "found out" a bit and also a bit of a one season wonder like Ajose. (I know he's a winger).
  • Pedro45 said:
    He's a top earner and no way could they afford to keep him on in Div 4 with a new contract. I also think there's no way a player like him would accept a six-month offer from us!  He'll end up at Lincoln or Peterboro most likely on a 2-year deal.
    the six month 'mention' was assuming he is suffering from niggling injuries and needed a trial period .. If fully fit a 2/3 year deal could be the answer, allowing of course, for finances/Bowyer's opinion etc. etc .. 
    I agree about the Imps/Posh possibility, he'd do well at either, especially Lincoln who need a bit of class to add to their organisation, work rate and solidity
  • I don't know why but Morris "didn't perform" to the same level last season.
    He went from 44 games & 19 goals to 29 games & 10 goals.
    I think he was "found out" a bit and also a bit of a one season wonder like Ajose. (I know he's a winger).
    the answer .. https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-midfielder-josh-morris-2349469
  • Bit like Graham Carey for me

In the sense where Id love us to sign both but I've serious doubts over whether either can do it in the Championship
  • Maybe as a squad player but if he was to be a part of our starting XI we’d be in pretty big trouble
  • At 27 he has only ever played regularly in 3 of his last 4 seasons. Never really played above League One level, only a handful of games for Blackburn. 

He will probably move to another League One club, staying up north. I doubt he will sign for a Championship club, but if he does he surely won’t be expected to start because if he were to, they’d be in a little bit of trouble and the wrong end of the league.

He’s a good player, very useful for League One, but whether he can perform at Championships standard, I don’t feel too confident on that.
  • Redhenry said:
    Hes deffo good enough.
    He wants to play in the Champ and Bowyer likes him...
    So he's joining WBA then ?  :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes he’s a definite 
    Really think we could have a very decent side next season if Gallen and Bowyer can cherry pick the best of League one. Players that may go under the radar for other Chanp sides because players were with sides that performed badly last season - Morris, Scunny, Carey/Lamaris - Plymouth

• Chizz said:
    I think we should snap him up straight away.  Now that Igor's gone, we have a desperate need for a new, injured striker. 
    He's not a Striker...

Would be a replacement for someone like Ricky Holmes
  • I heard Salford was a done deal - they are splashing the cash
  • edited June 2019
    Chizz said:
    I think we should snap him up straight away.  Now that Igor's gone, we have a desperate need for a new, injured striker. 
    He's not a Striker...

Who also knows how to Convert a free kick into the onion bag.
  • RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    He's not a Striker...

Dont we know it... Scored a really nice one against Ben Amos when we went up to Scunthorpe two years ago
  • ^^^^ and a penalty in the 5-3 loss last season, the most we conceded in any game
  • RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    He's not a Striker...

Dont we know it... Scored a really nice one against Ben Amos when we went up to Scunthorpe two years ago
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    He's not a Striker...

scored both in a 2-0 loss as I remember it
  • RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    He's not a Striker...

RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    He's not a Striker...

scored both in a 2-0 loss as I remember it
    Correct, both were worldies. Would have him in a heartbeat. 
  • edited June 2019
    Looking at what their own fans say, they knew he was gonna leave if relegated. They feel if Scunthorpe had stayed up they would have been able to sell him for mid-6 figures. Transfermarkt, which often under-values player worth, has him currently at £575k market value. If his injury problems are not chronic, I am starting to agree that this might be a really solid move. Getting the best players from relegated teams where players have proven they can handle the division is usually a very wise strategy.
  • Looking at what their own fans say, they knew he was gonna leave if relegated. They feel if Scunthorpe had stayed up they would have been able to sell him for mid-6 figures. Transfermarkt, which often under-values player worth, has him currently at £575k market value. If his injury problems are not chronic, I am starting to agree that this might be a really solid move. Getting the best players from relegated teams where players have proven they can handle the division is usually a very wise strategy.
    They got relegated from League One? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at what their own fans say, they knew he was gonna leave if relegated. They feel if Scunthorpe had stayed up they would have been able to sell him for mid-6 figures. Transfermarkt, which often under-values player worth, has him currently at £575k market value. If his injury problems are not chronic, I am starting to agree that this might be a really solid move. Getting the best players from relegated teams where players have proven they can handle the division is usually a very wise strategy.
    Only problem is that his experience of 'handling' is in the division below where we are!
  • He's been touted about 50 times over in the transfer rumours thread. Would obviously be a welcome addition cause he would be replacing Reeves or Marshall and he's head and shoulders above both in terms of quality. If you watch his highlight reel on YouTube it will make you think he's the best player in the league 

https://youtu.be/4E4LXvYM5WI
  • Morris does have a very decent 1st touch, carries the ball well and composed in front of goal.

There's certainly a player there.

• Need payers of Championship quality, afraid he isn't.
  • If Bowyer goes we'll be lucky to get players of league two quality.
  • se9addick said:
    Looking at what their own fans say, they knew he was gonna leave if relegated. They feel if Scunthorpe had stayed up they would have been able to sell him for mid-6 figures. Transfermarkt, which often under-values player worth, has him currently at £575k market value. If his injury problems are not chronic, I am starting to agree that this might be a really solid move. Getting the best players from relegated teams where players have proven they can handle the division is usually a very wise strategy.
    Yes
  • edited June 2019
    Need payers of Championship quality, afraid he isn't.
    Why do you say that, have u seen a lot of him?
  • @Redhenry is there anything you’ve heard in the pipeline regarding signings?
  • se9addick said:
    Yes
    Right - so “Getting the best players from relegated teams where players have proven they can handle the division is usually a very wise strategy.” doesn’t make much sense, unless we’re preparing for L1 in 2020/21 already!