Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can anyone help with this?

13»

Comments

• Redskin said:
    Chizz said:
    Bodmas 

5 + 5 + 5 = 15 
    3 + 3 + 5 = 11 
    5 + 3 x 5 = 20 

(Not, as some people might think, 40). 
    Why not write it as 5 × 3 + 5, and not make a meal of it?
    It was a restaurant, always likely to be a meal involved... 
  • I'd have gotten this right if it weren't for those pesky kids!
  • No brackets in the question so surely BODMAS doesnt come into it.

With brackets answer 20
    Without then the question becomes 5+3×8 which is 40
    BODMAS always comes into play.
    I'm absolutely surprised there's even debate on BODMAS... This would never be a question in China. You have different maths rules in England?😂😂😂
    No, just people without a proper mathematical education.
    Never heard of it when I did my Pure Maths A level.

Bodmas is misleading anyway: dividing doesn’t precede multiplying and adding doesn’t precede subtraction. When the rule doesn’t apply, you go from left to right.
  • You may not have heard of the acronym but I'm certain you would have been taught the correct sequence.
  •  Ok - who was taught BODMAS at primary school level then ?

I only learnt of it about 4th year secondary school (year 10 for you youngsters)

• MrOneLung said:
     Ok - who was taught BODMAS at primary school level then ?

I only learnt of it about 4th year secondary school (year 10 for you youngsters)

Second year of junior school, so I'd have been eight or nine.  At the time, the O stood for 'Of', as in 'three quarters of four fifths'.
  • edited June 2019
    Redskin said:
    Chizz said:
    Bodmas 

5 + 5 + 5 = 15 
    3 + 3 + 5 = 11 
    5 + 3 x 5 = 20 

(Not, as some people might think, 40). 
    Why not write it as 5 × 3 + 5, and not make a meal of it?
    An equation with up to three parts could work if there was a convention to take each part in turn. Beyond that it becomes hit and miss (more likely miss) to find the right order. Let's try a simple example. Supposing you owned a football club and you wanted to work out how much revenue you might make on ticket sales. You could easily multiply the number of fans expected by the cost of a ticket (we'll assume they are the same price). Our equation would look something like this:

10,000 x £20 = £200,000

All very easy. No need to worry about brackets or order. Now suppose that you are the next Alan Turing. In your keenness to prove how great you are you've bought three football clubs of varying size and stature. By applying the bodmas convention we can easily write a formula to predict all the lovely money that's coming our way:

(nA x £A) + (nB x £B) + (nC x £C) = lovely money

What happens though when you just bung them in that order without the brackets? Well, you get a completely different answer. Probably that de cloob is worth £70m. So, here's the challenge to any bodmas deniers: Can you come up with an equation that doesn't rely on the mathematical convention that will correctly calculate the mad owners likely takings by simply placing the numbers in the correct sequential order?
  • Grrr where's my paragraphs gone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Grrr where's my paragraphs gone?
    Is this another puzzle?  Are you asking us to find the correct version of your comment?
  • Stig said:
    An equation with up to three parts could work if there was a convention to take each part in turn. Beyond that it becomes hit and miss (more likely miss) to find the right order. Let's try a simple example. Supposing you owned a football club and you wanted to work out how much revenue you might make on ticket sales. You could easily multiply the number of fans expected by the cost of a ticket (we'll assume they are the same price). Our equation would look something like this: 10,000 x £20 = £200,000 All very easy . No need to worry about brackets or order. Now suppose that you are the next Alan Turing. In your keenness to prove how great you are you've bought three football clubs of varying size and stature. By applying the bodmas convention we can easily write a formula to predict all the lovely money that's coming our way: (nA x £A) + (nB x £B) + (nC x £C) = lovely money What happens though when you just bung them in that order without the brackets? Well, you get a completely different answer. Probably that de cloob is worth £70m. So, here's the challenge to any bodmas deniers: Can you come up with an equation that doesn't rely on the mathematical convention that will correctly calculate the mad owners likely takings by simply placing the numbers in the correct sequential order?
    I am definitely NOT a BODMAS denier. But I do like a challenge. I'd go with nA x A / B + nB x B / C + nC x C
  • The correct answer is = I don't give a toss 
  • cafc999 said:
    The correct answer is = I don't give a toss 
    You probably do without realising it.  Your power supply, your mode of transport, your food and clothing, most if not all of these will have been provided to you with maths involved somewhere along the way.
  • or 10 (if multiplying first)