Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electric Car

anyone bought or have advice about electric cars?  Is there a website where you can compare running costs v petrol/diesel cars?

Comments

• After  recently finding that a 4 year old Toyota auris hybrid would cost minimum of £10k, my interest in electric cars receded.
  • They’re more expensive since the government did away with (or reduced in some cases) the subsidy. But they’re far cheaper to run. 
  • We're looking (on a year long wait list) at a Kia E-Niro, 100% electric, decent range, not too pricey
  • edited June 2019
    Sorry keep your electric
    I like grunt revs noise roar and loads of mph and torque and BHP and that's coming from a Volvo driver!
  • Sorry keep your electric
    I like grunt revs noise roar and loads of mph and torque and BHP and that's coming from a Volvo driver!
    I thought I did as well, but coming round to electric. I do a lot of driving and spend about £75 a week on diesel. £300+ a month!

I could lease an electric car and basically get the car for free. Tempting me a bit.
  • I drive a Hyundai Ioniq (hybrid). By far the best car I’ve ever owned.

40 quid to fill up and I’ve done around 400 miles since I last bought any petrol. And it’s incredibly quick! When I put my foot down I get the petrol and the electric together and it flies. Add in tons of little mod cons and it’s a very pleasant experience. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric
    I thought I did as well, but coming round to electric. I do a lot of driving and spend about £75 a week on diesel. £300+ a month!

I could lease an electric car and basically get the car for free. Tempting me a bit.
    That's a similar mileage to what I'm back to doing. You will spend far longer in time and your electricity bill recharging the thing assuming it has the range you need 
  • Carter said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric

That's a similar mileage to what I'm back to doing. You will spend far longer in time and your electricity bill recharging the thing assuming it has the range you need 
    The cost of recharging is way cheaper than buying diesel or petrol. 
  • I wouldn't get the same buzz as when I roar away at 5 am every morning waking the whole street up
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric

I believe you, what I stand by is the practicality of the small ranges on them and the time needed to fully charge them 
  • I wouldn't get the same buzz as when I roar away at 5 am every morning waking the whole street up
    The planet might survive a little bit longer though. Pros and cons on both sides I suppose...
  • Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric

I believe you, what I stand by is the practicality of the small ranges on them and the time needed to fully charge them 
    Range of a VW eGolf is 150miles and charges in 45mins with a rapid charger (which service stations tend to have). I only use my car for very local driving, rarely leave greenwich, so an ev would be perfect for me. On the rare occasions I might have to drive further (leeds for example), I can easily plan in a couple of 45min breaks which is worth it in my view.

The eGolf Probably one of the worse performing in those terms as well but at the moment it's the only nice looking one out there that doesn't cost a bomb. That being said, the only thing putting me off is the price. Looking to lease one towards the end of the year so will try and haggle.
  • Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric

I think those days maybe already gone. How many miles do you travel a day?

• The eGolf Probably one of the worse performing in those terms as well but at the moment it's the only nice looking one out there that doesn't cost a bomb. That being said, the only thing putting me off is the price. Looking to lease one towards the end of the year so will try and haggle.

Rothko said:
    We're looking (on a year long wait list) at a Kia E-Niro, 100% electric, decent range, not too pricey
    Both these cars RRP is in excess of £33,000 (thirty three thousand)... Am i missing something or just the only person on here who thinks that's a lot of money and especially for a car? Is it the leasing options that make it viable? 
  • I've driven lots of electric vehicles. Even the most basic models have surprisingly good acceleration. Their 0-30 matches lots of sportscars. 
  • Just in fuel costs an electric car will cost about £400/10,000 miles an avergare diesel will cost £1,400 ish, all the car club companies in London are expanding their electric fleets because of this. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sorry keep your electric

I think those days maybe already gone. How many miles do you travel a day?
    minimum of 60 maximum 300
  • se9addick said:
    I wouldn't get the same buzz as when I roar away at 5 am every morning waking the whole street up
    The planet might survive a little bit longer though. Pros and cons on both sides I suppose...
    The planet will be just fine no matter what we do. Humans, on the other hand...
  • edited June 2019
    Bought a Nissan Leaf (Gen 1 - 2012) late October last year for NZ$9900 (£5,100). Mileage 26000km. The SoH (battery State of Health) was on 75.3%. When I started using it, it slowly went all the way up to 76.55%. It's now on 74.98%, but was on 74.94 a couple of weeks ago and then sneaked back up to 75.18%).
    7 months of driving (driven 10,600 km - approx 6600 miles) have saved me NZ$1650 (£850). The savings include home charging and charging for free around Auckland.
    Are there free charging options around London?

It costs me approx $3.50 (£1.80) to drive 110km (if I charge it at home and don't use the free chargers around town).
    In my previous petrol car, it would have cost me approx 6 1/2 - 7 times as much.

On top of that, it's good fun to drive an electric car. The accelleration! When you're at a red light, you'll have no issues with changing into the other lane. And it's a smooth ride.

If you buy a 2nd hand car, the important thing is to look at the SoH.
    Not sure about other brands, but with the Leaf, they say you can expect the SoH to go down by 2-3% per year, but there are lots of factors involved.
    Also, never have a car fully charged and then leave it for a while. Not good for the battery SoH.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    I drive a Hyundai Ioniq (hybrid). By far the best car I’ve ever owned.

40 quid to fill up and I’ve done around 400 miles since I last bought any petrol. And it’s incredibly quick! When I put my foot down I get the petrol and the electric together and it flies. Add in tons of little mod cons and it’s a very pleasant experience. 
    £40 of diesel in my 65 plate Jaguar will do around 400 miles. Until there are the same amount of electric charging points as petrol/diesel pumps then I'll stick to either killing humans or destroying the planet. 

(Only just realised/found out that Earth has been around for 150 billion years......and us humans for only 200,000 years of it. I think its had a good innings comparatively speaking)
  • edited June 2019
    Wouldn't consider a electric car, various reasons

Bloody expensive
    Too long to recharge
    not enough range
    need to replace the batteries at cost of thousands after 5 or so years.

• The eGolf Probably one of the worse performing in those terms as well but at the moment it's the only nice looking one out there that doesn't cost a bomb. That being said, the only thing putting me off is the price. Looking to lease one towards the end of the year so will try and haggle.

Rothko said:
    We're looking (on a year long wait list) at a Kia E-Niro, 100% electric, decent range, not too pricey
    Both these cars RRP is in excess of £33,000 (thirty three thousand)... Am i missing something or just the only person on here who thinks that's a lot of money and especially for a car? Is it the leasing options that make it viable? 
    presumably the lease options are more expensive than equivalent diesel / petrol models?  so you you have to consider the overall costs?
  • edited June 2019

The eGolf Probably one of the worse performing in those terms as well but at the moment it's the only nice looking one out there that doesn't cost a bomb. That being said, the only thing putting me off is the price. Looking to lease one towards the end of the year so will try and haggle.

Rothko said:
    presumably the lease options are more expensive than equivalent diesel / petrol models?  so you you have to consider the overall costs?
    Leasing/PCP for us, and hand it back in 3/4 years as the battery starts to degrade, and then pick up a new version as technology improves. And running costs are a lot cheaper then the petrol version. 
  • What happens to all the batteries?
    When will an adequate charging network be in place?
  • Rothko said:

Rothko said:
    Leasing/PCP for us, and hand it back in 3/4 years as the battery starts to degrade, and then pick up a new version as technology improves. And running costs are a lot cheaper then the petrol version. 
    What I mean is the lease cost would be higher (presumably) otherwise everyone would get the leccy car, so the running cost saving needs to pay for the additional lease cost, with a bit of change to make it worth it
  • Rothko said:

Rothko said:
    What I mean is the lease cost would be higher (presumably) otherwise everyone would get the leccy car, so the running cost saving needs to pay for the additional lease cost, with a bit of change to make it worth it
    PCP from Kia is £370 a month, so about the same as the plug in hybrid verson, and without the costs of petrol etc. 
  • edited June 2019
    Halix said:
    Wouldn't consider a electric car, various reasons

Bloody expensive - Yep, but not all of them. Look into a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf. Also, other brands will come down in price over the next few years.
    Too long to recharge - Charge overnight. It takes me 8 hours to get a full battery on a slow charge. A fast charge in the city takes around 30 mins.
    not enough range - Will only increase. Still early days. Agree that you'll need a petrol car too for longer distance driving, if you've got a Leaf like me, which only has a range of 110km (which is adequate for me for work and client visits).
    need to replace the batteries at cost of thousands after 5 or so years. Where did you read that? Mine is nearly 8 years old and battery still around 75%.

• The Kia we're looking at has a range pushing 300 miles, and looking at how we drive, thats about 3 weeks driving, so the charging and battery wear isn't going to be massive