Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game of Thrones

Comments

• What happened to the Dothraki 
    They all attacked the white walkers, they were all gradually annihilated as their flaming swords went out, think some were resurrected when the night king did his stuff, they all shattered when he died.

Oh and then there were a load of them left to form a part of Dany’s Army. They must have been the ones who didn’t make it to the battle against the White Walkers, or who ran away and didn’t die in the last charge of their people, or who’s ferry was delayed, or who were held back out of the first charge as a second wave, that was never used for some reason despite the fact that the whole world of the living was about to end before Arya did for the Night King.

oh and the Unsullied found a fair few stragglers an all.

• What happened to the Dothraki 
    They all attacked the white walkers, they were all gradually annihilated as their flaming swords went out, think some were resurrected when the night king did his stuff, they all shattered when he died.

Oh and then there were a load of them left to form a part of Dany’s Army. They must have been the ones who didn’t make it to the battle against the White Walkers, or who ran away and didn’t die in the last charge of their people, or who’s ferry was delayed, or who were held back out of the first charge as a second wave, that was never used for some reason despite the fact that the whole world of the living was about to end before Arya did for the Night King.

oh and the Unsullied found a fair few stragglers an all.

They were cheering and whooping when Danni announced she wasn’t stopping there 

the unsullied went to narth 

jon snow the north 

the rest kings landing 

the dothraki the writers didn’t even give an ending too 
  • edited May 2019
    Episode 1-3: Night King is the main villain

Episode 4-5: Cersei/Euron is the main villain

Episode 5-6: Dany is the main villain

Episode 6: Grey Worm is the main villain

This season was far too rushed. How long did they let the Joffrey/Ramsay/High Sparrow storylines develop by comparison?

You could’ve had a whole extra season for each of these main villains (ok maybe not Grey Worm) and maybe it would’ve felt less world-breaking than it did.

The showrunners wanted it wrapped up quickly and it showed.
  • Fiiish said:
    Fiiish said:

Over the last couple of years, a trend has emerged where anything remotely popular is being mass-downvoted by gatekeepers on IMDB and RT. Then everyone else follows suit because they think they're following a trend.
    Or maybe some just know garbage when they see it.
    Garbage is a word most people would reserve for a Kevin James film, not what was a good yet flawed final season for an excellent TV series.

If social media didn't exist then there would be none of this hysteria. People work themselves up into hating something because other people who think they're 'true fans' form these echo chambers. 
    Frankly, last season was also a step down.
  • I am done with this thread. Mainly because this season was so weak that I’ve almost forgotten about it already (until I see this thread.) I have started watching Fleabag, which I find stunning, and Chernobyl, which will probably win awards. Feels good to see high quality work again. Enjoy the debate.
  • Episode 1-3: Night King is the main villain

Episode 4-5: Cersei/Euron is the main villain

Episode 5-6: Dany is the main villain

Episode 6: Grey Worm is the main villain

This season was far too rushed. How long did they let the Joffrey/Ramsay/High Sparrow storylines develop by comparison?

You could’ve had a whole extra season for each of these main villains (ok maybe not Grey Worm) and maybe it would’ve felt less world-breaking than it did.

The showrunners wanted it wrapped up quickly and it showed.
    Like, that whole "Who will be the next ruler of Westeros" scene in the past would probably be an entire episode in itself - the show turned into quite a different styles beast by the end (just like Dany).

Dany/Jon death ending seemed both obvious and unearned at the same time, which is an unusual combination.
  • Watched the 'making of' documentary last night. Loved it.

Highlights were:

The Night King AKA Stunt expert when he greeted the fans in Spain. 

Jon Snow at the read through realising the ending.

The whoops at the read through when they realise Arya kills the Nigh King

Varys during the read through realising he dies.

The set that was Kings Landing and the security guard with binoculars itching to see inside.

Andrew the extra's enthusiasm for his jacket.

Head of Snow.

Loved it, and although was slightly disappointed with the end of series 8, i actually think it was more disappointment that it ended at all last week, rather than the storyline and watching the making of made me realise how amazing the whole thing was. I might go back to the start and watch it all again.

• This popped up on my YouTube recommendations and thought I would share, good thinking by someone 

https://youtu.be/QCHlCiB98N4
  • This popped up on my YouTube recommendations and thought I would share, good thinking by someone 

https://youtu.be/QCHlCiB98N4
    It's been removed. Any chance of a run down?
  • Sponsored links:

• So, only just finished this (took us about 4/5/weeks to watch whole thing)

Really enjoyed until the final three episodes which left us with too many questions and disappointments. 

1 - in the Long Night why did the Dothraki charge the Army of the Dead? Why not use the the dragons ?

2 - how crap was it that Arya just turned up and killed the Night King thus ending the battle. Total anticlimax. 

3 - how disappointing that Cersei dies by bit of ceiling falling on her. No confrontation with anyone. 

4 - why allow the north to be independent?
    why not have all 7 kingdoms have this. 

5 - why did they have to rush this final series. Some of the storylines were covered in minutes where they would previously been developed over a whole series 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So, only just finished this (took us about 4/5/weeks to watch whole thing)

Really enjoyed until the final three episodes which left us with too many questions and disappointments. 

1 - in the Long Night why did the Dothraki charge the Army of the Dead? Why not use the the dragons ?

2 - how crap was it that Arya just turned up and killed the Night King thus ending the battle. Total anticlimax. 

3 - how disappointing that Cersei dies by bit of ceiling falling on her. No confrontation with anyone. 

5 - why did they have to rush this final series. Some of the storylines were covered in minutes where they would previously been developed over a whole series 
    Yep.
    Pretty much what most people were saying a few weeks ago.

GoT was a terrific tv show with a sadly disappointing final season that asks too many and answers too few questions satisfactorily.

There have been no good answers since either, but we’ve learned to get over it and get on with our lives. (Apart from some nerds who won’t leave it alone.)

Welcome to the club.
     B) 
  • I was so into the show until the last two seasons. I thought last year was also a step down but nothing like this last one. Basically the final season was so bad I only think about GOT now when someone else mentions it. Seems like a lifetime ago already.
  • The last season was allegedly rushed because all the stars were on contracts that had a fixed number of episodes. To go for more episodes would have cost more than they reckoned they could budget so they made some episodes twice as long. Didn’t work. 
  • The last season was allegedly rushed because all the stars were on contracts that had a fixed number of episodes. To go for more episodes would have cost more than they reckoned they could budget so they made some episodes twice as long. Didn’t work. 
    It’s  because the show runners have got the next Star Wars trilogy and wanted to work on it. HBO offered them an extended final season but they rejected it. 
  • MrOneLung said:

I'm surprised you enjoyed all the show if this was one of your key criticisms. This happens all the time in the show, it's one of its main themes. Ned Stark, the person we thought was the main character, is executed after being forced to falsely confess to a crime. Oberyn Martell has his head crushed out of nowhere when he was about to win a fight to save Tyrion. Instead of getting his just revenge or dying in battle Robb Stark is killed at his uncle's wedding during the toasts. The show has always built up to anti-climaxes that subvert the viewer's expectations. Just like we thought Robb Stark would avenge his father and instead ended up being shot by a member of Coldplay, we thought Arya or Danaerys or Jon would be standing over Cersei's body, but instead she got killed by shoddy masonry. I get a lot of the criticisms but this one was totally in-keeping with the show over the years.
  • MrOneLung said:

I'm surprised you enjoyed all the show if this was one of your key criticisms. This happens all the time in the show, it's one of its main themes. Ned Stark, the person we thought was the main character, is executed after being forced to falsely confess to a crime. Oberyn Martell has his head crushed out of nowhere when he was about to win a fight to save Tyrion. Instead of getting his just revenge or dying in battle Robb Stark is killed at his uncle's wedding during the toasts. The show has always built up to anti-climaxes that subvert the viewer's expectations. Just like we thought Robb Stark would avenge his father and instead ended up being shot by a member of Coldplay, we thought Arya or Danaerys or Jon would be standing over Cersei's body, but instead she got killed by shoddy masonry. I get a lot of the criticisms but this one was totally in-keeping with the show over the years.
    All those other deaths involved confrontations though. 
  • Walloped all of the new Stranger Things series over the weekend. It was good and made me jump a fair few times, possibly the creators might be running dry of ideas but I still really enjoyed it. Winona Ryder is fantastic in it 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    MrOneLung said:

All those other deaths involved confrontations though. 
    Why would a confrontation be inevitable? I'm with GM on this - to have a showdown with Dany saying "dracarys" and having Cersei burnt alive would have been predictable and obvious. Poetically the death worked fine - she was in denial until the bitter end, and her world crumbled around her - literally killing her. 

The images on social afterwards with big red circles and text reading "if they'd stood here they would have survived" is far more revealing of the audience than it is of the writers. 

It was far, far from perfect and I wish they'd made some other decisions, but that level of nitpicking is a real shame. 

I disagree with what your poorly constructed points. At one point I had high hopes for your post but now I'm wondering why I bothered. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Her death just seemed an anticlimax to me - the main villain being taken out by a bit of masonry.

• Carter said:
    Walloped all of the new Stranger Things series over the weekend. It was good and made me jump a fair few times, possibly the creators might be running dry of ideas but I still really enjoyed it. Winona Ryder is fantastic in it 
    Sounds an open ending again. I wish they'd have an end in sight with these kind of things and not suddenly choose to rush/extend based on other commitments/lack of.

Anywho can we avoid spoilers on threads as I am doing an episode a night on Stranger Things. (Maybe create a thread of its own?)

• Interesting - we never did and I can’t imagine we’ll ever get the books to finish Game of Thrones.  I read the last one 10 years ago now.  Crazy 
  • edited August 2022
    First episode airing on HBO this Sunday. Guessing it'll be on Sky in the UK by Monday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DotnJ7tTA34
  • lets hope its better than the drivel of GOT once they surpassed the books.
  • As long as there is plenty of tits n ass, i'll get the Cleanex order in...
  • As long as there is plenty of tits n ass, i'll get the Cleanex order in...
    I believe you should be looking to get a refund on your box of tissues then from what I have heard!