Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21 Euro 2019

The England Under-21 squad for Euro 2019 in Italy and San Marino next month has been announced. Really strong squad in my opinion. 

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn (Southampton), Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Chelsea), Lloyd Kelly (Bournemouth), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)

Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Hamza Choudhury (Leicester City), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolves), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Dominic Solanke (Bournemouth)

Comments

• Explains why James Maddison and Wan Bissaka didnt make the Senior Squad for the Nations League

Makes sense as well, can go off to Italy / San Marino for a proper Tournament Experience whereas the Nations League Finals is nothing more than a typical International Break
  • That's a center forward and a center half away from being a competitive national team squad.  Is Gomez still eligible? 
  • A little disappointed that Solanke has gotten into the U21 squad ahead of Grant actually

Going to be a big year for Dominic @ Bournemouth next season, he's close becoming just another Chelsea wonderkid who was great in the Youth teams because they could buy the best youngsters in the areas, come the First Team though he could just drift away as another one who quite cant make it, to be fair though injuries have hindered his progression a little though
  • Quality midfield that, with the likes of Foden and Maddison

4 Leicester players, if they can keep hold of their best players they can only get stronger. 
  • That IS a quality squad!
  • Reckon a good few of those (maybe not the Goalkeepers) could easily put themselves in contention for Euro 2020 next year too

i.e. Tammy Abraham | Phil Foden | Morgan GIbbs-White | James Maddison | Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Harvey Barnes
  • The forwards are nowhere near good enough but the midfield is different class....
  • supaclive said:
    The forwards are nowhere near good enough but the midfield is different class....
    Tammy Abraham has proven he can do it in the Championship

Think if you put him in a creative Premier League team he could potentially step up as Swansea were the wrong choice for him

Then again he could just be another Jordan Rhodes
  • Aaron Wan-bassaka is so unlucky to have TAA in front of him.  The new Wayne Bridge, hope he doesn't ever play with the new John Terry :wink:
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Aaron Wan-bassaka is so unlucky to have TAA in front of him.  The new Wayne Bridge, hope he doesn't ever play with the new John Terry :wink:
    Should leave Palace along with Zaha then

Wont just improve his career but will also fuck them up!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good squad. I think a lot on here underestimated Solanke. I know it hasn't quite worked for him in the Prem but at youth level for England he looks an absolute class above. Exact same could be said for Tammy Abraham. 

Happy for Konsa and DaSilva. I believe he's been play RB for the U21s but I'd put him up against any of the CBs in that squad, especially since you expect Wan-Bassaka to start. Our Jay looks like first choice LB. 

Feel for Lookie though. He was a real stand-out at the U-20 World Cup. Wish he'd gone to Leipzig in the summer. 
  • Yep Ademola needs out of there quickly. Hoping that Hassenhuttl at Southampton picks him up.
  • edited May 2019

Cafc43v3r said:
    That's a center forward and a center half away from being a competitive national team squad.  Is Gomez still eligible? 
    Yes, Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Rice, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Rashford and Sancho could all still play too.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Aaron Wan-bassaka is so unlucky to have TAA in front of him.  The new Wayne Bridge, hope he doesn't ever play with the new John Terry :wink:
    Was thinking that too.

AWB is actually older than TAA so if Trent keeps his form up then it's going to be hard for Wan Bissaka to get in the team.
  • Wouldnt be surprised if Danny Rose's time at Left-Back is slowly coming to an end for England too

Ben Chilwell will be our No.1 for a while
  • Starts tonight with 2 games. Poland v Belgium and hosts Italy v Spain.

Decent write up on some of the expected tournament stars here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48649868
  • Italy looked very strong last night beating Spain, a lot of experience in their side. Going to take a very good side to beat them at home.
  • Bielik scored for Poland in a 3-2 win over Belgium.
  • England finally in action tonight in what should be a very tough game v France.
  • Sponsored links:

• England finally in action tonight in what should be a very tough game v France.
    Anyone know if it's on TV or the web?
  • cafc-west said:
    England finally in action tonight in what should be a very tough game v France.
    Anyone know if it's on TV or the web?
    SKY Sports have the rights to it
  • That is some team for an U21 national team, I predict we will go far. Germany U21 looked decent yesterday they might be the ones to beat still.

Not many central midfielders, quite a few Attacking midfielders in the side. Defence might be the weakest part but hopefully we have enough going forward to counter if needed.

Looking forward to tonights game.

• Tonight will actually be a very good game, won’t be far off the quality of a normal England game. Expect Foden to show how good he is.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Tonight will actually be a very good game, won’t be far off the quality of a normal England game. Expect Foden to show how good he is.
    Read that Foden is expected to be on the bench tonight!!... 

Hope we dont go too defensive against the French, they may be a strong side but we need to remember that we've got some outstanding talents coming through so why not make THEM go defensive with their tactics for once rather than the other way around

We've got so much pace in the team we can really hurt opponents but only if we can pass it about properly and not for the sake of it
  • Laddick01 said:
    Tonight will actually be a very good game, won’t be far off the quality of a normal England game. Expect Foden to show how good he is.

Hope we dont go too defensive against the French, they may be a strong side but we need to remember that we've got some outstanding talents coming through so why not make THEM go defensive with their tactics for once rather than the other way around

We've got so much pace in the team we can really hurt opponents but only if we can pass it about properly and not for the sake of it
    With Maddison there I can understand why. Although I think Foden has the slightly higher ceiling, Maddison is still going to be a very good player.

We should just beat France, but the reality is we are both nations who have already promoted a large % of u21s to the first team.
  • That is some team for an U21 national team, I predict we will go far. Germany U21 looked decent yesterday they might be the ones to beat still.

Not many central midfielders, quite a few Attacking midfielders in the side. Defence might be the weakest part but hopefully we have enough going forward to counter if needed.

Looking forward to tonights game.

Italy the best side i've seen so far, more than half their side has already played for their seniors and of course they're at home.

Was disappointed with Serbia last night who had Jovic up front, they were poor.
  • Laddick01 said:

We need to go for it, only 1 runner up spot so it could be crucial to win all 3 games with this being our hardest. I think we will, but it wont be a pushover 2-1 England

@chris I have only watched last nights game with ze germans, just the normal hunch and they normally do well... looked decent as the game went on last night.

• edited June 2019
    Foden does start tonight so press got it wrong

Little surprised that Solanke is ahead of Abraham

• Strong squad when you see the likes of Barnes, Mount, Abraham, Gibbs-white and Nelson on the bench.

Surprised also on Solanke, unless they're going to rate him and Abraham each game.