Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moving from London.....to York?

I have some close friends....I will not say who or what they are in relation to me. It is more of a close and personal thing. 🙂

I just want some ideas regarding an important decision making process.

For any Lifers that have moved up north. Can you please provide this thread will relative pros and Cons regarding the outcome of a big decision like this one.

Key points;

Are you better off financially? 

Are you, overall, happier?...(relative to this particular decision)

Are there things that you miss....a bit too much?

Was it a mistake?

Do you look at the positive side regarding the fact that you can go to more away games? The northern sides will be more local etc.

Do you wake up every day a bit earlier...feeling a bit more optimistic about the day ahead?

Was it a good "fresh start"?

More atmospheric? People more friendly? Fun things to do? Good for families? Less traffic? Less danger? Less light and air pollution? Less congestion? Less expensive?

I'd love to hear what you have to say in regards to this. 

It will really help.

Thanks 🙂

Comments

• Greenie said:
    Dale Stevens or Ian Dowie is your best bet.

Dale Stephens went to Brighton.

Roland response "huh"???
  • Closer to The Wall and Winterfell if you are a Game of Thrones fan. Gives you a better idea anyway.
  • Closer to The Wall and Winterfell if you are a Game of Thrones fan. Gives you a better idea anyway.
    They are big fans of the show. It helps a little.
  • Dave2l said:
    Closer to The Wall and Winterfell if you are a Game of Thrones fan. Gives you a better idea anyway.
    They are big fans of the show. It helps a little.
    Not being negative in any way. I was born 200 miles North of the Wall.
  • York and its environs are a wonderful place to live.

Just get out of town when the Ebor festival is on.
  • Dave2l said:
    I have some close friends....I will not say who or what they are in relation to me. It is more of a close and personal thing. 🙂

Are they lesbian sisters?
  • Sponsored links:

• York and it’s surroundings is a nice place to visit. But stay in London and live a life instead of vegetating. 
  • edited May 2019
    This thread is very interesting for me because like the opening post my family are heading to Yorkshire once we can sell our house. Just like Dave21 I hope some of you living in the north can give some advice and cast a light on life outside the SE.
  • Solidgone said:
    York and it’s surroundings is a nice place to visit. But stay in London and live a life instead of vegetating. 
    I moved from London to actually have a life and not spunking my money on renting in areas I didn't want to live in. 
  • The Red Robin has given sound advice, particularly on moving further north to Scotland.
  • A mate of mine has just moved from East London to Glasgow and is loving it. 

When you do it, you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner. 
  • This thread is very interesting for me because like the opening post my family are heading to Yorkshire once we can sell our house. Just like Dave21 I hope some of you living in the north can give some advice and cast a light on life outside the SE.
    Whereabouts are you moving to SHG?
  • Yokrshire Addicks group, set up over the last few weeks is growing as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2181379172116136/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
  • This thread is very interesting for me because like the opening post my family are heading to Yorkshire once we can sell our house. Just like Dave21 I hope some of you living in the north can give some advice and cast a light on life outside the SE.
    Same here as I've got the option soon of maybe moving up that way too through work.  To be honest school places for the kids are the biggest worry/barrier making us think twice.
  • Yokrshire Addicks group, set up over the last few weeks is growing as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2181379172116136/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
    I know I don't qualify but I don't do facebook and you never said :( . I'll have to check if my son is in that. Anyway what happened to our Northern based Addicks Supporters Branch, we'll never get invited to the Fans Forum bun fights at this rate :wink:.
  • Sponsored links:

• Worked and lived in the centre of York for three years and never regretted it. Work brought me back down south and the family had always been in Cambridgeshire because of the kids schooling.  Work over the last few years has  been in either London or Yorkshire and  both Mrs SCV and I are considering retiring in that general direction, when we both get round to retiring. The only thing which is goes against it would be the drive to the Valley on a Saturday (probably about 4 to 4 1/2hrs each way). 

• edited May 2019
    This thread is very interesting for me because like the opening post my family are heading to Yorkshire once we can sell our house. Just like Dave21 I hope some of you living in the north can give some advice and cast a light on life outside the SE.
    Havn’t got a precise location yet but I’m guessing somewhere quite rural between York and Harrogate perhaps.
  • Great informative comments so far. Especially from the Red Robin. 

Cheers

• edited May 2019
    RedChaser said:
    Yokrshire Addicks group, set up over the last few weeks is growing as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2181379172116136/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
    I know I don't qualify but I don't do facebook and you never said :( . I'll have to check if my son is in that. Anyway what happened to our Northern based Addicks Supporters Branch, we'll never get invited to the Fans Forum bun fights at this rate :wink:.
    I got distracted with life and then someone sent this one up - I'm sure any northern based Addick is welcome. 

Twitter as well - https://twitter.com/YorkshireAddick?s=17
    Havn’t got a precise location yet but I’m guessing somewhere quite rural between York and Harrogate perhaps.
    I recommend Ilkley. 
    I recommend Ilkley. 
    'Where hast thou been since I saw thee'  ;).
    I recommend Ilkley. 
    I quite like the look of Menston (bit cheaper than Ilkley), do you know what it's like (or Guiseley, come to that?).

Schools, trains etc look decent, house prices not too bad.
    I recommend Ilkley. 
    I quite like the look of Menston (bit cheaper than Ilkley), do you know what it's like (or Guiseley, come to that?).

Schools, trains etc look decent, house prices not too bad.

They're the next towns along. Guiesley is more of a commuter town. Plenty there, pubs, restaurants, shops and quick access to some nice walks. My brother-in-law lives there and I quite like it. Definitely cheaper to buy there than Ilkley. It's ten minutes on the train to Leeds. Menston is inbetween the two (have you looked at Oltey as well? No train station there but a big bus station). Much smaller town and not as much going on in Menston but again, some nice pubs and quick to Leeds. 
  • There's nice places everywhere in this country and every part of the country has it's grotty bits.

The only thing as an advantage over where I live at present is house prices, every day stuff is pretty much the same in a small country like ours. But that no longer matters to me, I don't need a bigger house and my present one is quite central to all the bits me and the wife need.

There are some very big obvious disadvantages about moving from the south east, probably why 1/6th of the total population lives in this corner.