Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Insurance write offs

edited May 2019 in Not Sports Related
I have recently been trying to find projects to keep me occupied over summer and have always wanted to try my hand at fixing a light insurance write off (Catagory N's / S's) and wondered if anybody on here had done anything similair and if so what advice would they give. 

Comments

• When selling it on, be sure to point out the car's history. Especially if it "recorded" as a W/O.
  • Appreciate the feedback I spoke to the insurance Companies and they told me a Catagory N can be registered as roadworthy again just by passing an Mot so fingers crossed this will be an interesting venture 
  • The thing to bear in mind is that no matter what a good job you do on it, it won’t be worth anywhere near what a car that hasn’t been written off is worth.

if you’re doing it for yourself rather than profit though, you can get a decent car for a lot less than market value.

• Brother-in-law had a light smash in his new Golf. He couldn't believe it when the insurance company wrote it off. He then managed to buy it back and after he had paid for the repairs he was £5k better off from his write-off payment....
  • Brother-in-law had a light smash in his new Golf. He couldn't believe it when the insurance company wrote it off. He then managed to buy it back and after he had paid for the repairs he was £5k better off from his write-off payment....
    This is literally what happened to me and my alfa after it got stolen which gave me the idea to do it.
    I then researched into it and when they write them off they just sent them off to spec am write off auctions where they try and get back what they can buy a lot of these vehicles are actually fine 
  • edited May 2019
    LTKapal said:
    Brother-in-law had a light smash in his new Golf. He couldn't believe it when the insurance company wrote it off. He then managed to buy it back and after he had paid for the repairs he was £5k better off from his write-off payment....
    This is literally what happened to me and my alfa after it got stolen which gave me the idea to do it.
    I then researched into it and when they write them off they just sent them off to spec am write off auctions where they try and get back what they can buy a lot of these vehicles are actually fine 
    I'd have hoped someone would have told you this earlier LT, but stealing is wrong!
  • Stig said:
    LTKapal said:
    Brother-in-law had a light smash in his new Golf. He couldn't believe it when the insurance company wrote it off. He then managed to buy it back and after he had paid for the repairs he was £5k better off from his write-off payment....
    I'd have hoped someone would have told you this earlier LT, but stealing is wrong!
    Apologies I grew up on the wrong end of Dartford 😂
    Old habits and all that