Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fair Play Donny

what an effort their players put in. Not sure whether our players struggled with the occasion or they simply raised their game. Think the momentum or them equalising when they did changes everything psychologically.

Probably the worst we’ve played at home season, and I give them full credit for that

Comments

• We played for 1-1 When they scored
  • Yeah fair play to the players, staff and supporters of little ol' Donny, accept of course Whitewood (ain't he a removals man?) and Butler
  • They did well, but only because our tactics allowed them too!
  • A real credit to their club and played so well. Shame there has to be a loser but glad it wasn't us!
  • I feel sorry for them, but I am a bit soft like that. 
  • Yep fair play,they were the better team on the night...,& there was a few times I wibbled & thought we would go onto lose,but I shoulda had a bit more faith in LB's boys on the backs to the wall display (for most part)...but its hitting the back of the net more than them that counts...woulda made a great nervy final...good luck next season Donny,but Marquis well u can do one...!!
  • No doubt they were much better than at their place but thought them a typical dirty northern niggly side and lot of their fans were more intent on getting across the segregation. No sympathy from me.
  • No doubt they were much better than at their place but thought them a typical dirty northern niggly side and lot of their fans were more intent on getting across the segregation. No sympathy from me.
    Can anyone find and put up the fouls count for both sides please.....thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tactically they had a great game plan, and gave us no time on the ball at the back. That's why we played so badly. Once Wilkes switched inside onto Naby we were vulnerable and we might have got lucky when he got injured.
  • Doncaster played well on the night, they came to do a job on us and did it. Bielik scoring in the second minute should have preceded the rout I predicted. But Donny were having none of it.

We were poor on the night and never settled into any sort of rhythm and basically were chasing the game all evening. When Donny scored the first goal in E/T I feared that was our lot, but a slightly fortuitous equaliser kept us in it.

We all know the format of the play-offs and we all know the risks, but I can never accept it fair that the team finishing sixth, 15points behind the team finishing third should prevail. So in the end the right result, when viewed across the season.

The highlights for me were the abominable Marquis missing his penalty and the obvious joy of the post match celebrations.

I'm in my 51st year of supporting CAFC, there have been many low points some seriously low. Occasionally there have been highs, last night was one to remember. I hope we are able to finish the job at Wembley, we will however, need to perform better, which I know we can.

Once again, commiserations to Doncaster Rovers.

• edited May 2019
    No doubt they were much better than at their place but thought them a typical dirty northern niggly side and lot of their fans were more intent on getting across the segregation. No sympathy from me.
    When checked last night, think it was 23 fouls conceded by us and 24 by them. 

But a lot of that was down to whistle happy guy in the middle who tried hard to ruin the game.
    The BBC has the foul count as CAFC 23 and Donny 24, so even stevens really. 
  • Definitely the better team on the night and the first leg was pretty even overall so they have a right to feel a bit aggrieved, but equally proud of their performances. 

That said, part of football is also about spirit, effort, teamwork and character and although we didn't play well last night we showed plenty of that.

Last night's game was worthy of being the final tbh and they played their full part in that. 
  • Definitely the better team on the night and the first leg was pretty even overall so they have a right to feel a bit aggrieved, but equally proud of their performances. 

That said, part of football is also about spirit, effort, teamwork and character and although we didn't play well last night we showed plenty of that.

Last night's game was worthy of being the final tbh and they played their full part in that. 

Final score will be 4-4 no doubt.
  • I was going to make a post on their forums but way too much faffing to make an account.

I thought they were head and shoulders above us on the night and the mentality by their team to get back on track after conceding so early was incredible. I didn't stop singing but as soon as they made it 4-3 agg I said in my head it's their night.

I have seen a lot of sour grapes from their fans though so I won't feel too sorry for them. 

• I was going to make a post on their forums but way too much faffing to make an account.

I thought they were head and shoulders above us on the night and the mentality by their team to get back on track after conceding so early was incredible. I didn't stop singing but as soon as they made it 4-3 agg I said in my head it's their night.

I have seen a lot of sour grapes from their fans though so I won't feel too sorry for them. 
    For every sour grapes poster on a football forum there will be dozens of realistic fans who know their team performed superbly and but didn't quite get the job done in a penalty shoot-out. They'll be gutted but very proud of their team and their club....and so they should be.
  • edited May 2019
    what an effort their players put in. Not sure whether our players struggled with the occasion or they simply raised their game. Think the momentum or them equalising when they did changes everything psychologically.

Probably the worst we’ve played at home season, and I give them full credit for that
    I think it was a bit of both. At times we were unrecognisable from the slick passing side we have been all season. The goal seemed to change things as we started well enough. Credit to them and well done. It became a lottery which we won, but that is what it was in the end.

Despite all that, we need to understand what is a handball. It is now getting ridiculous and it is all refs fault (not picking on last night's ref). As a group they are defended far too much IMO. They can be as poor as you like and it is blasphemy to call it. What was all that with letting some of the fouls on Taylor go. I mean there are close calls and obvious FFS! 

P.S. You can't take negativity away from footballers. Bowyer was a bit conservative (not loads but a bit), and that bit can sometimes be picked at and opened up. Mind you Prately was a negative sub and I thought he was immense. If a great team like Barcelona, can't forget they are 3-0 up and play like 0-0, I suppose you can't expect us to! 
  • Sponsored links:

• well done Donny a proper football club like us, but smaller
  • edited May 2019
    My good mate Chippy called it right at half-time. He was adamant the Donny keeper would help us again at some point....and thankfully he did.

Donny pressed us so hard, which upset our normal pattern of play....measured build up through Sarr into midfield. And when they got the ball they used it really well and often found incisive passes to their man behind Marquis. At half time, I was hoping Donny would tire from their efforts but they just kept going. For all that, they didn't really trouble our goal until their late header.

Their 3rd goal seemed to galvanize us into life and for a short period around the Pratley goal we really went at them, with Taylor putting in his trade-mark dangerous low crosses.

2nd half of ET though, we petered out and it looked like Donny might nick one. I think Sarr managed a good block right near the end.

Darren Pratley showed why LB signed him. VERY experienced player who has played at a high level and he was very good last night. He's no Alou Diarra but in many ways, he's proving to be just as important.

I'm a Sarr-fan but it was clear that he struggled for the early part last night and I was thinking he might be replaced by Pearce at half-time. Again to be fair, he stuck at it and came into it a bit more with his passing and runs. They key for him is to get on the ball and get us going. Once he does that, his confidence levels go up considerably. He NEVER hides and some of the balls that were played back to him last night were asking for trouble.

And nobody should be criticised too harshly for missing a penalty. Very few players actually have experience of taking them in match conditions, so i never expect players (especially defenders) to be particularly good at them. With that in mind, Solly's penalty last night was absolutely superb.

It was a draining night and I hope the players are able to recover their mojo. There were many mistakes and it wasn't a good performance but there were also some good bits. Dijksteel looked quick and powerful, Taylor looked supremely fit haring around after defenders, Purrington was calm, Bielik was classy, Pratley was getting his foot in, Aribo had his moments, Williams buzzed.

Let's hope the nerves are out of the system now. The boys have given us a great chance and will give us everything they've got at Wembley. Deep down, we can ask no more.
  • Having watched the highlights how did the ref not see the Marquis handball? Struck him fair and square on the arm. 
  • We finished third, they sixth and a long way behind us Pompey and that other team from the north. I’d have felt worse than the Donny fans do this morning if we had lost the tie. They were given a wild card for finishing 5 wins and a hatful of goals behind us and took it with both hands. They played better than us on the night and still lost, that’s tough to take for them but in the cold light of day I’d say they have had a good season but come up a short over the season.
  • addick05 said:
    Having watched the highlights how did the ref not see the Marquis handball? Struck him fair and square on the arm. 
    And how did he not see Taylor pulling a Donny players shirt? In my opinion both sides could have had two pens each.
  • addick05 said:
    Having watched the highlights how did the ref not see the Marquis handball? Struck him fair and square on the arm. 
    The referee did not have access to the highlights you watched and from which you gave an opinion :-)
  • addick05 said:

stone cold pen that one - can't believe he didn't give it. moved his arm out to block the ball with his hand

• Did their homework, hunted in packs high up the pitch and was clear they would shoot from range when they could.