Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why did the pens .....

have to be taken at the Covered End for ‘safety reasons’. What safety reasons. How would it have been unsafe to take them at the Jimmy Seed end? Bit unfair on Doncaster surely?

Comments

• I think the police were concerned because the Doncaster fans kept trying to get at the Charlton fans up in the Jimmy Seed. 
    This is what I was told by someone at the bus stop. Not a great reason though. 
  • 25May98 said:
    I think the police were concerned because the Doncaster fans kept trying to get at the Charlton fans up in the Jimmy Seed. 
    This is what I was told by someone at the bus stop. Not a great reason though. 
    I think it’s the best reason if their fans were causing trouble then the punishment was instant and meaningful for all to see
  • I might be imagining it, but in my recollection penalties almost always seem to be taken in front of the home fans (where applicable). I am sure I have commented on it before when watching other teams shoot outs, with mates in the pub? Certainly seems to happen too often to be down to luck? 
  • WBA v Villa penalties were taken into the segregated stand. Chosen by toss of a coin.
  • So if donny won the toss, why did they take their penalties second?
  • From watching the Villa game I’m sure there were 2 coin tosses. 1 to decide the end and 1 to see who goes first. Charlton won both I guess.

unless the ref decided the end due to safety and then we won the only coin toss to go first
  • The police must have decided on the North with one coin toss to determine who went first. Whoever won it sent us in to bat first even if Donny had won the toss.
  • Thanks for the reply, makes sense. Thank god we won the toss to see who kicks first because that makes a big difference. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Think you will find that senior police officers came onto the pitch and spoke to the referee, probably told him there was to much trouble in the Jimmy Seed end.
  • If Donny won the toss and decided to go second, whoever made that decision should be shot as the stats show something like 66% of shoot outs are won by the side going first
  • Whatever became of the Abba format?
    Bauer won the toss.
    Bauer won the toss.
    Suppose thats all he'll be doing for a while now he's got a daughter
  • Think you will find that senior police officers came onto the pitch and spoke to the referee, probably told him there was to much trouble in the Jimmy Seed end.
    If we hadn't sold seats to home fans in the JS stand, then presumably a normal coin toss would have happened. An unexpected bonus  :)
  • edited May 2019
    Why on earth are people having this conversation?
     Charlton are at Wembley. Rejoice!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• The police walked on to the pitch with two officials and told the ref what end the penalties were to be taken. Sky said for safety reasons but I like to think otherwise. Good to see them doing something for the community, my feelings for the police have gone up 1000% for that gesture.
    I don't think they were Police Officers. Their uniforms had no shoulder flashes etc. I think they were private security officers hire by Sky or the club. 
  • We were kicking the wrong way all evening I.e. towards the JS for 2nd half. Pens at Covered End compensated in my opinion. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    The police walked on to the pitch with two officials and told the ref what end the penalties were to be taken. Sky said for safety reasons but I like to think otherwise. Good to see them doing something for the community, my feelings for the police have gone up 1000% for that gesture.
    I don't think they were Police Officers. Their uniforms had no shoulder flashes etc. I think they were private security officers hire by Sky or the club. 
    It was Marshall and Gallen in disguise, they hired a uniform for the night  :D
  • Can you imagine all those pitch invaderscharging down to the away end where the winning penalty was scored? Big security risk there....
  • If you believe that the end you take the kicks impacts the result, then Donny can thank their fans for this. I was watching on ESPN and there was no mention of any trouble between the fans in the Jimmy Seed. But having both sets of fans in there may have concerned the police, especially if it was at that end. It could have been a flashpoint. 

It rounds out the discussion before the game on how much the fans can impact the result. If Donny had sold all their tickets, this wouldn’t have been an issue. The fans can’t win you the game, but they can lose it. 
  • Take the kicks at the end nearest the tunnel is the rule I think. That's the safety bit, allows teams to get off quicker should they want to
  • Take the kicks at the end nearest the tunnel is the rule I think. That's the safety bit, allows teams to get off quicker should they want to
    Most grounds, have the tunnel at the halfway line.
    Most grounds, have the tunnel at the halfway line.
    Loads of clubs dont have tunnels on the halfway line

Aston Villa | Manchester United | Fulham | Burnley | Forest Green | Surrey club that wont be named | Stoke are just some