Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electric light problem

i know there are a few people on here who can probably point me in right direction. 

A bulb in one one of our living room ceiling lights blew tonight and after I changed the bulb and reset the fuse box the fitting still didn’t work (has 3 bulbs).  There are 3 different sets of lights in the room 2 ceiling and a set of wall lights and we have a triple dimmer switch. The other ceiling light still works fine as does the wall lights. 

Would the the issue be:

there is is a problem with the ceiling fitting 

or

there is somehow a problem with with the dimmer switch ( although the other lights work fine) 

or

something else.

Thanks in advance - not  very  clued up on diy especially electrics. 

Comments

• Silly question, but when you push dimmer on, is it dialed up to bright?
  • Are they all the same wattage bulb?
    fittings will have a max wattage (combination of all bulbs, 3 x 50, max 150-200 watt) 
    Or it’s a non dimmable bulb 
  • Light fitting has blown most likely.
  • Sounds like the fitting to me, but without a set of testers you ain't gonna know for sure.
  • Were you a little heavy handed when you changed the bulb ? You might have dislodged a wire and it just needs reconnecting
  • thanks all,

I think it is the actual light fitting.

have used correct bulbs and dimmer switch is turned on.

seemed to be be a louder pop than than normal sound of a single bulb going.

Gonna get someone out to have a look as got a couple of other jobs as well.
  • Macronate said:
    This was the original working title for ELO.

Not so sure they’d have been as successful as they were had they stuck with it.
    I heard they changed it because Emerson, Lake and Palmer objected. Emerson called up Jeff Lynne while he was away on holiday and told him - put him in a right mood. Apparently Lynne just said 'Alright Mr Blue Sky, Don't Bring Me Down.'

I'm here all week.
  • MrOneLung said:
    thanks all,

Sounds like potentially a connections slipped. Where are you based I could get out to you at some point between this evening and tomorrow evening if that’s any good to you 
  • If this is the kind of thread we get 2 days before a big playoff game I can't wait to read the kind of shite we'll get in the offseason. Bring it on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe no one has told you the pc tech stock problem resolve.

Switch it off & switch it back on again.
  • MrOneLung said:
    thanks all,

Sounds like potentially a connections slipped. Where are you based I could get out to you at some point between this evening and tomorrow evening if that’s any good to you 
    thanks @greenie@"Greenie Junior" but I havegot someone coming round and we are Romford way anyway.
  • I read the thread title and though it might me about an ELO tribute band ! 
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    thanks all,

thanks @greenie@"Greenie Junior" but I havegot someone coming round and we are Romford way anyway.
    No worries mate 
  • Use candles more romantic!
    And cheaper 
  • Defo light fitting
  • It’s the dimmer switch - being replaced tomorrow. 

Thanks all. 
  • Are the lamps halogen or have you put LED ones in? LED ones need a specific dimmer, they won't work with a normal dimmer switch.