Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moped gang jailed for string of robberies

Comments

• All be out soon robbing everyone else on the streets and some prat will go on defending them...I would hang the lot of them...well done the police they must sit back and sigh at the extremely low sentences...I assume no account of the trauma to the victims were considered.
  • It’s not her fault of course, but isn’t it sad when a paper feels it has to put a “celebrity” name in the headline on some ridiculously tenuous basis just to get more people to click on/read it.

but well done anyway Amanda. Now, any chance of tweeting an appeal for info on who killed JFK, or where Madeline McCann is?
  • The sentences handed down are a joke. People have been mentally scared for years and these arseholes get a tag. Deals have been done to secure a conviction no doubt after pressure from media on the government. 
  • I’m not one of the flog em and hang em brigade by any stretch but until as a society we get to grips with the little shits that make lives a misery for ordinary people for any number of reasons from anti social behaviour right through to theft, robbery and drug dealing then things will just continue to get worse. 

The justice system including the police and prison service are overwhelmed and that needs to be addressed by central government. 

We need a mandatory and progressive sentencing policy that increases punishment with every sentence. Don’t agree with three strikes and you’re out like they have in the USA but I do think that we ought to be looking at three strikes and you get ten years. 
    Agree with all that, and also need to pump a lot more into rehabilitation.
  • When you do the divide by 2 bit to work out the 'real' actual time in prison some of those sentences are derisory when you consider the effect of such a traumatic experience on the poor victims.

Victims don't count though it seems when it comes to sentencing.
  • I’m not one of the flog em and hang em brigade by any stretch but until as a society we get to grips with the little shits that make lives a misery for ordinary people for any number of reasons from anti social behaviour right through to theft, robbery and drug dealing then things will just continue to get worse. 

The justice system including the police and prison service are overwhelmed and that needs to be addressed by central government. 

We need a mandatory and progressive sentencing policy that increases punishment with every sentence. Don’t agree with three strikes and you’re out like they have in the USA but I do think that we ought to be looking at three strikes and you get ten years. 
    Shooters I would have one strike and out...these people are going out planned and doing this, I agree judges are tied, I would do to them what they do to others...and yes I would gladly be the hang man.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I’m not one of the flog em and hang em brigade by any stretch but until as a society we get to grips with the little shits that make lives a misery for ordinary people for any number of reasons from anti social behaviour right through to theft, robbery and drug dealing then things will just continue to get worse. 

Once a thief always a thief. once a cheat always a cheat....they only know one way...fed up with listening to their hard luck stories too...
    Whilst I agree we need stronger sentancing to suggest people can never change is ridiculous and I assume your normal trolling for attention.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey, the Lib Dems have gone a bit radical.

• Rob7Lee said:
    I’m not one of the flog em and hang em brigade by any stretch but until as a society we get to grips with the little shits that make lives a misery for ordinary people for any number of reasons from anti social behaviour right through to theft, robbery and drug dealing then things will just continue to get worse. 

Once a thief always a thief. once a cheat always a cheat....they only know one way...fed up with listening to their hard luck stories too...
    Whilst I agree we need stronger sentancing to suggest people can never change is ridiculous and I assume your normal trolling for attention.

How many change, tiny percent they become life ime criminals and sadly there are too many wooly trolling libs that will support them. Lock em up and throw away the key.

• Tougher sentencing yes. All this other stuff is nonsense. I do believe people can and do change.
  • On the jury a little while ago for the most high profile trial in the county in years. The entire 2-3 weeks was about the perp, never the victim. The judge made it quite clear where the verdict was going from day one. At the end, and obviously I cannot say what the verdict was, I felt physically ill. An absolute sham that still haunts me to this day. Oh, and I was paid £60 a day for this, being self-employed. Fuckin joke.
    Shakespeare said "a good start would be to kill all the lawyers". Add the judges.
  • edited May 2019
    On the jury a little while ago for the most high profile trial in the county in years. The entire 2-3 weeks was about the perp, never the victim. The judge made it quite clear where the verdict was going from day one. At the end, and obviously I cannot say what the verdict was, I felt physically ill. An absolute sham that still haunts me to this day. Oh, and I was paid £60 a day for this, being self-employed. Fuckin joke.
    Shakespeare said "a good start would be to kill all the lawyers". Add the judges.

Was it Jordan’s drink driving case?
  • @STLeonards

If the trial is finished you can say whatever you like about it within the usual constraints of libel law. Sub Judice is not relevant in you post.
  • edited May 2019
    ‘ark at Jimmy Smits
  • On the jury a little while ago for the most high profile trial in the county in years. The entire 2-3 weeks was about the perp, never the victim. The judge made it quite clear where the verdict was going from day one. At the end, and obviously I cannot say what the verdict was, I felt physically ill. An absolute sham that still haunts me to this day. Oh, and I was paid £60 a day for this, being self-employed. Fuckin joke.
    Didn't it make you feel proud to have done your civic duty? You played a key part in our justice system.

You are also allowed to discuss the verdict, the only thing you can not discuss is the deliberations that took place in private.

• edited May 2019
    On the jury a little while ago for the most high profile trial in the county in years. The entire 2-3 weeks was about the perp, never the victim. The judge made it quite clear where the verdict was going from day one. At the end, and obviously I cannot say what the verdict was, I felt physically ill. An absolute sham that still haunts me to this day. Oh, and I was paid £60 a day for this, being self-employed. Fuckin joke.
    I'm self employed and I've been called up a couple of times. Each time I've told them I'm happy to serve but I've got a mortgage, kids to feed etc and they've been happy to give me a pass. 
  • One of the most misleading things reported in all forms of the media is the true length of sentences.
    They will say something along the lines of, the individual got a total of 12 years for 3 offences.....but what they don’t say is that nowadays it will  ‘almost certainly’ be handed down to run as concurrent sentences rather than consecutive, so time served would in fact be only 4 years, so not the dramatic 12 years being suggested.
    Add to that a prisoner could get early parole and they could be back on the streets in as little as 2 years or so.....so nothing like the 12 years being suggested.

• Sponsored links:

• One of the most misleading things reported in all forms of the media is the true length of sentences.
    They will say something along the lines of, the individual got a total of 12 years for 3 offences.....but what they don’t say is that nowadays it will  ‘almost certainly’ be handed down to run as concurrent sentences rather than consecutive, so time served would in fact be only 4 years, so not the dramatic 12 years being suggested.
    Add to that a prisoner could get early parole and they could be back on the streets in as little as 2 years or so.....so nothing like the 12 years being suggested.

Sadly this is not a new thing and a huge flaw within our justice system, imo.
  • Make Amanda commissioner of the Met (or Humberside OB come to that) .. she is much more beautiful, and it seems more effective than C Dick ((:>)
  • Tuff sentencing  didn't stop people thieving when we had prison hulks, corporal punishment, capital punishment, deportation, solitary confinement, life long sentences or any other good ideas. All we have ever done is keep crime down to a level. We will never have zero crime, especially thieving. There is no magic answer but its not rocket science, if you cut funding/numbers/ boots on the ground what the effect will be. Maybe go the other way and have so many resources it would be impossible to commit crime, Big Brother style. I doubt there would be much  appetite for that either. 

It always amazes me that no government has ever said, we will go soft on crime. Plenty chirp up about being tough on crime or being a party of law and order while cutting the means to cut crime or come up with hair brain ideas.

I think what we are seeing now is the results of successive government over the last 70 years to take care of its people.

• edited May 2019
    Cue reactionary types trying to outdo each other on tough sentencing.

The US has some of the toughest sentencing in the world and one the highest prison population. Recidivism is also very high. 

All the evidence suggests what puts people off committing crime is not how tough the sentence is but how likely the perpetrator perceives they are to get caught

Judges don’t decide guilt in this country ; juries do. The judge ensures that the trial stays within the law and sets the tariff of penalty if found guilty ; again within the law 

@STLeonards - you and your fellow jury members decided on the guilt of the accused in your trial not the judge. 

• Tuff sentencing  didn't stop people thieving when we had prison hulks, corporal punishment, capital punishment, deportation, solitary confinement, life long sentences or any other good ideas. All we have ever done is keep crime down to a level. We will never have zero crime, especially thieving. There is no magic answer but its not rocket science, if you cut funding/numbers/ boots on the ground what the effect will be. Maybe go the other way and have so many resources it would be impossible to commit crime, Big Brother style. I doubt there would be much  appetite for that either. 

It always amazes me that no government has ever said, we will go soft on crime. Plenty chirp up about being tough on crime or being a party of law and order while cutting the means to cut crime or come up with hair brain ideas.

I think what we are seeing now is the results of successive government over the last 70 years to take care of its people.

Post of the day so far. IMHO. Organized crime is on unprecedented levels and the authorities appear unable to control it. Watched some CCTV of the moped gang being knocked off their bikes and one actually run over whilst running away by a copper on a motorbike. Wonder how long before some shyster legal eagle will be offering to take his case for assault claiming thousands in compensation? The types of crime that we read about every day is not just confined to this country of course. Sadly, it ain't going to get better.
  • The criminals need to feel that there is a very good chance that when committing a crime that they will get caught. That’s the responsibility of central government to provide enough police and resources to facilitate a high detection rate. In addition to that the criminals need to feel that should they get caught there is the certainty that the punishment will deter them from committing the crime in the first place. 

At present neither of the above apply. I fail to see that wanting to address the failures above are in any way reactionary. I accept that there will always be crime and criminals but at the present moment there is neither respect or fear for the criminal justice system by the criminals. That has to change.
  • When people say that organised crime is at unprecedented levels, what do they mean? I can only assume they're quite young. Crime has changed but to suggest it's unprecedented is pushing it a bit. In the 80s I knew several people who'd been held up in armed robberies, including my sister when she worked at a cash and carry. It just doesn't happen in the same way because very few places have much cash. Instead, internet fraud happens, which while it's traumatic is not the same as having someone poke a shooter in your face. 

These guys doing this were clearly scumbags and I personally think the sentencing for the one who tried to grab the woman's child is ridiculously lenient, the met have said nicking this gang has brought the amount of moped crime down by a big percentage, which suggests that a lot of the other stuff is just opportunists rather than organised. 
  • "stealing BBC camera equipment from the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race"

This is affirmative action surely
  • just read an excellent book by Hannah Fry called Hello World, which is about algorithms in everyday use, including when it comes to sentencing (there is spectacular inconsistencies, even by the same judge faced with the time facts) and guilt i.e. if decided by a magistrate. some interesting stuff on cutting crime. One thing thy found from looking at crime hotspots in the New York metro (which used to be epidemic) was cutting down on ticket evasion stopped a lot of crime before it happened.

I read some otherbook, i think it was freakonomics, describing cutting street crime by putting big pictures of the virgin mary everywhere!

so, definitely look at tougher sentences, but also consider the 3bn asked for to tackle organised crime, but also all the other measures to tackle crime such as poverty and inequality, security, visibility of police. It all goes hand in hand.