Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Bailey

Just finished his book mentioned on here recently. Well worth a read. I had not appreciated he became Charlton captain at only 19. Was interesting to read that when Alan Mullery signed for Spurs, Bill Nicholson asked if he could play at right back, apparently because he was interested in Bailey as a replacement for Danny Blanchflower at right half. A short time later Bailey left for Wolves.

Bailey fell out with chairman Michael Gliksten when he was managing Charlton after which he departed but still has a soft spot for the club. Reminded me that the only time I wrote to a Charlton chairman was to Gliksten in 1967 when we sold Len Glover to Leicester for £80,000. Didn't get a reply. Some things don't change then!!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Great player, barrel chested in the Dave Mackay mould one of my boyhood heroes and good Manager when his playing days were over getting us promoted from the old Division 3 (league 1 nowadays). Never understood the crazy manager swap with Mullery from Brighton.
  • Blimey, for a moment I thought he was coming back as manager :-)
  • I met him for the first time shortly after he broke his leg. It was on a number 53 bus ! He was sat downstairs towards the front with his plastered leg stuck out in the aisle. He was an England international at the time. How times have changed ! A smashing bloke and a great footballer.
  • As I said on another thread, met him when he was captain of Charlton and I was in the youth team, I was getting treatment for an injury and he walked in and spoke to me. He was always my hero before that and was very upset when he was sold

For a moment i thought he was joining David Bowie !
    Phew
  • Was and still is my all-time favorite player, I remember his strength and barrel chest. Undoubtedly the best & strongest tackler I ever saw in a Charlton shirt, and an English international of course.
  • Yes, and then was a great captain for Wolves. Although I started watching Charlton in 1962 I think the team which came 4th in 1963/64 are probably the earliest I can readily remember. Rose, Hewie, Kinsey, Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell, Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover was the usual line up for most of that season. A load of goals from that forward line up.
  • I still remember how shocked I was,as a young lad,when Mike broke his leg.He stood head and shoulders above his team-mates and that shock was only surpassed when we sold him to Wolves.A hero to so many.The team shown above still brings goose-bumps when I think of those names.As well as Mike Bailey,there were very classy players like Eddie Firmani,Len Glover,Mike Kenning,Roy Matthews---current supporters would have loved them all.
  • Johnnyhumphrey
    You realise this thread is just pure therapy tonight. Trying to take my mind off losing 5-0 at Huddersfield and the state our club has got to. Gliksten was pretty rubbish, but now looks like a saint compared to our friend across the Channel.

Might as well bring back Eddie Firmani.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mike was IMO rightly inducted to the Charlton Hall of Fame at the recent POTY awards.
    However, having spoken to his son Andy, Mike knew nothing about it! And he's at most home games!
  • Good he was added though. I remember hi as the manager who took us up from the third to the second. Maybe a good omen!
  • edited May 2019
    When I was about 11 or 12 I went on some football course at Sparrows Lane and he was there overseeing things. Had no idea he was a former manager til we were chatting and he mentioned it. Really nice guy who had time for everyone there. 
  • Mike was one of the best players, I have seen playing for Charlton, so strong in the tackle and never stopped running, very sad when we sold him to Wolves
  • Been scanning a lot of docs loaned by @irudd123 's dad Dave.

Doctor's bill for an operation on Mike Bailey from 1962.  Was this when he broke his leg?

This was salvaged from the derelict Valley boardroom and was partially burnt by vandals/squatters.

• Mr Buck did my cartilage operation, although he was based in Harley street he spent a lot of time using the Brook hospital where mine was done. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Charlton players were treated. I do remember seeing Phil Warman having treatment there. In those days you were left with a six inch scar and you were ready to be discharged if you could hold your leg 12 inches up after the nurse let go or it would painfully hit the bed.
  • T_C_E said:
    Mr Buck did my cartilage operation, although he was based in Harley street he spent a lot of time using the Brook hospital where mine was done. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Charlton players were treated. I do remember seeing Phil Warman having treatment there. In those days you were left with a six inch scar and you were ready to be discharged if you could hold your leg 12 inches up after the nurse let go or it would painfully hit the bed.
    Blimey Ray I was just going to post the same thing. Mr Buck removed my cartilage in The Brook. There was a bloke opposite me and he was having real problems lifting his leg so they had him wired up to an electronic gadget that was shocking his leg with electrical pulses trying to get the muscles to respond.
  • Mike was IMO rightly inducted to the Charlton Hall of Fame at the recent POTY awards.
    However, having spoken to his son Andy, Mike knew nothing about it! And he's at most home games!
    He does attend with his wife. He sits near me.

John Dunn, Ritchie Bowman, Paul Walsh, Eddie Youds and Peter Shaw are regulars as well. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Mr Buck did my cartilage operation, although he was based in Harley street he spent a lot of time using the Brook hospital where mine was done. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Charlton players were treated. I do remember seeing Phil Warman having treatment there. In those days you were left with a six inch scar and you were ready to be discharged if you could hold your leg 12 inches up after the nurse let go or it would painfully hit the bed.
    Blimey Ray I was just going to post the same thing. Mr Buck removed my cartilage in The Brook. There was a bloke opposite me and he was having real problems lifting his leg so they had him wired up to an electronic gadget that was shocking his leg with electrical pulses trying to get the muscles to respond.
    That was probably me😂😂 although I was playing football at the time I didn't do my knee that way. I was living rough in Charlton park and woke to find a man standing over me, punching him as hard as I could I ran off forgetting about the small fence the separates the pitches from the path and trashed my knee. Two weeks in the Brook was brilliant although one cartilage gone at 16/17 wasn't so funny
  • T_C_E and eaststandmike, welcome to the club, Mr Buck did my cartilage as well in 1961 while I was with Charlton youth.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    T_C_E and eaststandmike, welcome to the club, Mr Buck did my cartilage as well in 1961 while I was with Charlton youth.
    Was it done in the Brook? ......Strange how we all refer to him as Mr Buck, l remember calling him Dr and he hit the roof telling me those days had gone. Got a serious b@//@cking from a Hattie Jacques matron after he left. I was a wum even in them days. 😀
  • T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    T_C_E and eaststandmike, welcome to the club, Mr Buck did my cartilage as well in 1961 while I was with Charlton youth.
    Was it done in the Brook? ......Strange how we all refer to him as Mr Buck, l remember calling him Dr and he hit the roof telling me those days had gone. Got a serious b@//@cking from a Hattie Jacques matron after he left. I was a wum even in them days. 😀
    Surgeons are always "Mr" rather than "Doctor"
  • T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    Surgeons are always "Mr" rather than "Doctor"
    Come on H. We're all waiting for you. 
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54703/danny-baker#latest
  • T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    NO, it was done in the hospital on Greenwich High Road, sorry I cannot remember the name. I do remember when I used to go pass some days, there would be a queue outside waiting for the sexual disease clinic to open, (must have been embarrassing).
  • ross1 said:
    T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    NO, it was done in the hospital on Greenwich High Road, sorry I cannot remember the name. I do remember when I used to go pass some days, there would be a queue outside waiting for the sexual disease clinic to open, (must have been embarrassing).
    St Alfeage ?
  • edited May 2019
    ross1 said:
    T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    St Alfeage ?
    No, I remember, The Miller Hospital. Is it still there?

Edit: Just looked it up and it closed in 1974, so most of you younger people would not have heard of it
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    That was probably me😂😂 although I was playing football at the time I didn't do my knee that way. I was living rough in Charlton park and woke to find a man standing over me, punching him as hard as I could I ran off forgetting about the small fence the separates the pitches from the path and trashed my knee. Two weeks in the Brook was brilliant although one cartilage gone at 16/17 wasn't so funny
    You sure it wasn't just Golfie looking for a way out for his car.......?  ;)
  • Before my time as a Charlton player but he did an excellent job for us as manager before Gliksten messed him about (let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself).

Mike Bailey subsequently ran the Valley Club for a while and was a thoroughly friendly and engaging guy.
  • Davo55 said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    You sure it wasn't just Golfie looking for a way out for his car.......?  ;)
    If it was I bet his jaw still hurts, I've never before or since hit anyone that hard. Just pure fear!
    Anyone here play for Roadrunners fc and minicab based team that used the Valley club when MB ran it? He promised to play for us if we reached a certain round of the cup, he did and he just patrolled the center circle spraying passes. He put a pass on my swede that was impossible to not score, I'm still dining out on that moment.