Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer was wrong

LB: "I don't think there is any advantage (home or away first). Liverpool is an example. They get thumped and the tie is over, as far as I'm concerned."

Haha

Comments

• Lucky we’ve got the home advantage then
  • Yeah thought this earlier myself
  • 🙈 Sink Delete 
  • cafc_will said:
    🙈 Sink Delete 
    Can’t take a joke?
  • ManU lose at home to PSG

ManU beat PSG in the away leg. Which is the 2nd leg.

Bowyer is right.

There will be all kinds of examples.

Most of them....in terms of success rate, will be pretty much close to even.

Percentage wise.
  • edited May 2019
    Opened this thread about to have a pop at the blasphemy!

Well played sir.
  • Dave2l said:
    ManU lose at home to PSG

Bowyer is right.

Percentage wise.
    Be actually very interested to see the stats on this. Certainly I perceive there to be an advantage being home for the second leg
  • For Cafc it haven't made much different in the semi final as we have won and lost having the second leg at home.
    The most important thing for us is having a fit squad to pick from. Other than Igor who we knew couldn't play a possible 3 games in a row, the squad is looking good.

The real advantage of having the second leg at home is as long as you win 20k can celebrate as opposed to 3k at the away leg.

Lee Bowyer has to be positive just like he was last year when it all went pear shaped !

I still feel it a 50/50 semi final against Doncaster. We may be favourites but I can remember the Swindon game when a goal to the good and a man up against Swindon, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at the valley. 

We have the team to succeed, we just need the rub of the green.

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019
    redman said: Dave2l said: ManU lose at home to PSG

Bowyer is right.

Percentage wise.
    Be actually very interested to see the stats on this. Certainly I perceive there to be an advantage being home for the second leg

-----------------

I would guess the stats will show that more teams that play at home second progress to the next round of a 2 legged knockout, for unseeded games it would likely be close to a 50/50 split, but for the seeded games the higher seed plays at home and on average the higher seed wins more games than the lower seed.  Also playing at home in the second leg potentially gives you the advantage for longer as only the second leg can go to extra time.  

I don't have the stats to hand though.

EDIT - not sure what happened to the quoting here!
  • I don't think comparing the playoffs to European ties is a helpful exercise. Away goals impact the way home teams approach games in Europe. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no away goals in the playoffs?
  • Didn’t he say we wouldn’t win the FA Cup?

• Tottenham just won the 2nd leg.

3 goals in 35mins....away from home.

Bowyer was right
  • I do think there are teams that are not suited to playing cautiously. Ajax started the second half basically saying to Spurs, attack us until you score! Had Barca treated Tuesday's game as a 0-0, I don't think they lose by four when they have the same attacking mindset as their opponents.
  • edited May 2019
    In the CL there's a statistical advantage to play at home second leg in the round of the last 16, but that is not surprising as the second leg home team are the group winners. Randomly drawn it's pretty close to 50/50.
  • I do think there are teams that are not suited to playing cautiously. Ajax started the second half basically saying to Spurs, attack us until you score! 
    That's what we used to do, first half of this season ....!

• Charlton chief Lee Bowyer reckons Tottenham’s stunning Champions League comeback against Ajax still makes his point valid about having a home leg second not being an advantage.

“You can look at it both ways,” said Bowyer. “Spurs last night was the perfect example of what I was trying to say.

“Whether you are at home first or away first, it doesn’t make any difference.

“You can look at Liverpool and say because they were at home they were able to win 4-0. But look at Spurs – they were 3-0 down [on aggregate] at half-time in the second leg and they turned it around.

“Momentum, decisions and injuries can play a part. 

“I still believe what I said, even though Liverpool did what they did – Tottenham went and counter-balanced it. It is just one of those freak results.

“I don’t think even their manager would believe they could turn it around and win 4-0. The reason I couldn’t see them doing it was because I thought Barcelona would score and then they’d need five. Come on, not many score five – especially a team of that quality.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-tottenhams-champions-league-stunner-proves-my-point/

• For me, you're better of at home in the second leg of the EFL play-offs as away goals don't count extra in the event of a draw.

So if there's an extra 30 mins after the 2 games it's at the Valley.

In the CL it's not so clear, people seem to prefer home in the second leg and I understand that, but if it goes to ET and the opposition score you need 2, or you're out. Even if you score first in ET it's nail biting time. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019
    Away goals distort things a lot but does sometimes put European games on an entertaining knife-edge. When you think about it, Ajax missed out on a Champions league final despite drawing with Spurs over two games, It does seem a bit unfair even if everybody knows the rules in advance.