Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Did we deserve to finish 3rd?

Charlton spent a total of one day (the final day of the season) in third position so my question to the people of CL is: did we deserve to finish 3rd or can Pompey/Sunderland feel hard done by?

Comments

• At the end of the day the league table doesnt lie after 46 games, as i said on another post shame we didnt have a full squad at the start of the season, and the hopeless owner didnt care about us.
  • Yes we did. The league never lies.
  • stonemuse said:
    No, we deserved 2nd. 
    The answer I was looking for!
  • We finished where we deserved to finish. Portsmouth were in 1st place for the longest and they certainly didn't deserve to win the league
  • I wouldn't go as far as saying that the league table never lies. But it is the best measure we have and the only one that counts for anything. So, yes we did deserve to finish third. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Peterborough weren't out of the top 8 all season. Only Barnsley did better than that.
  • Wimbledon spending 189 days in the bottom 4 shows what an amazing job they did
  • Bristol Rovers and Shrewsbury the only 2 sides to not spend 1 day in the top half
  • Wimbledon spending 189 days in the bottom 4 shows what an amazing job they did
    That's the stand out for me too. Very lucky to stay up based on that. 
  • Uboat said:
    Wimbledon spending 189 days in the bottom 4 shows what an amazing job they did
    Luck has nothing to do with it

2 defeats in their last 14 games(home to us and Gillingham)

Fighting spirit is what kept them up
  • I think the above proves our real position in whatever division we are in is still 5th 

who can forget the we're still 5th shouts in our first year down from the prem when we were utter shit for weeks on end but still managed to stay 5th and the rose tinted lot wouldn't have it before we slid down the table to finish 11th and then relegation followed the season afterwards
  • Sorry, but what a daft thread. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Sorry, but what a daft thread. 
    Lol ! Agree

Irrespective of where we were from game 1 to game 46.

We were er.... 3rd

• Uboat said:
    Wimbledon spending 189 days in the bottom 4 shows what an amazing job they did
    Luck has nothing to do with it

2 defeats in their last 14 games(home to us and Gillingham)

Fighting spirit is what kept them up
    Okay mate. That's the last time I agree quote one of your posts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The table doesn't lie we finished 3rd after 46 games. The fact it took us 46 games to get there is down to how the fixtures are scheduled. Our end to the season always looked a lot easier than the start of the season where we had a slow start and had to play catch up.
  • Valley11 said:
    My personal opinion agrees with the majority here but that doesn't mean I can't pose the question. The topic title did get a few extra clicks and responses than expected off the back of it. :-)
  • edited May 2019
    Valley11 said:
    I think it’s quite interesting. Always room for opening up a discussion on a matter, by putting a point of view across, even if it isn’t your own.
  • After 46 games you finish where you deserve
  • Peterborough didn't dip below the top 8 all season yet didn't get a playoff place, just goes to show these tables are a load of bollocks
  • The season is like a running race. The smart play is to sit in a comfortable position in the slipstream of the ones tiring themselves out setting the pace and constantly looking over their shoulders and then kick down for the finishing line on the last bend and overtake them when it’s too late for them to respond
  • edited May 2019
    In reply to the strange original question, what do you want me to say............................no?
  • Walsall had a strong end to the season then.

Unbeaten in their first 7 games, still decently placed in October...........then won 4 of their last 31 games!