Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Betty Hutchins

A video was played on the big screen about ten mins to KO of Lyle Taylor visiting Betty in hospital. 

Probably the only time I’ve ever seen the whole crowd fully engaged with what was being shown on the big screen. It was incredibly moving and I won’t have been the only one with tears in my eyes. It got a standing ovation at the end.

Much love Bet, you a real Charlton legend. 

(And a well done Lyle, that would have meant the world to Bet)

ed. Link to video further down)

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Sounds like a great piece. Is there anywhere I can watch it online 
  • Enjoyed the video.  Said to my daughter as it started that I remember Betty from the away coaches in the early 90s just as BC said she’d been a volunteer for many years. 

If we do get to Wembley I hope that she can somehow make it.  

• She was also the fan of the week in the programme, sorry I haven't got a pic to post.
  • Got to the game late, so missed the video, all the best Betty!
  • Must admit I had a tear in my eye watching that yesterday on the screen . The three F’s . Family, Faith and Football. Wonderful lady .
  • Yes spoke to her many times on our travels...Lovely lady...
  • proper Charlton 

• Whats she currently suffering with?

Saw she was in the Ellenor Hospice but couldnt hear the reason
  • 100% Charlton.....sorry to hear you are unwell…...Many happy days with Betty and her family in the 70s,80s and 90s...thinking of you from across the water.

Last had a chat with her in Fleetwood 2016 different views of Charlton but still CHARLTON.

All the best Betty.

• Sponsored links:

• I sat behind Betty and Theresa for a number of years in the prem days. She once said to my Mrs at Wolves away “are you his other half? I pity you!” :smile: 

Proper Charlton legend 
  • I went to my first game yesterday after my hip op and heard the news. I didn't see the video as I didn't get to take a seat until 5.30pm. Very sad. Betty and her daughter did so much for Charlton fans. I was the little cheeky one at the back that used to go to many away games with Marc, Jim and Ron. So many laughs, jokes, tears, happiness and elation when we won. Sadness when we lost (and boy those journeys were long). I don't know what to say. 
  • I started going away on Lewis coaches in the mid 70s. Betty was already a legend, I don’t remember a game when she wasn’t there acting as steward. I lived in Basildon at the time and she always got the driver to drop me off at Bromley-by-Bow so I could get the train connection to Essex. Saved me loads of time. So sad to hear of her illness.
  • Thankyou for posting this Henry, brought a tear to my eye bless you Betty.
  • I remember going on Betty's coach in the mid 90s.  The names @Rudders22 mentioned brought back some memories.  I was a spotty teenager then and probably used to get on everyone's nerves!

I think I have finally put a face to the name of @Fanny Fanackapan as well.  Was your daughter obsessed with Kevin Nicholls?

My thoughts are with Betty at this time, a real Charlton legend. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I remember going on Betty's coach in the mid 90s.  The names @Rudders22 mentioned brought back some memories.  I was a spotty teenager then and probably used to get on everyone's nerves!

I think I have finally put a face to the name of @Fanny Fanackapan as well.  Was your daughter obsessed with Kevin Nicholls?

My thoughts are with Betty at this time, a real Charlton legend. 

There are many of us that cut our Charlton cloth on that coach in the early / mid 90s.
    I think I remember from there but it was over 20 years ago. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for posting that Henry. 

Made me feel that there is still some of OUR Charlton left.
    Thoroughly deserved for a true Charlton legend. 
  • Thanks for posting that Henry. 

Made me feel that there is still some of OUR Charlton left.
    Thoroughly deserved for a true Charlton legend. 
    Apologies as not the right thread.
    But OUR Charlton has always been there.
    It's just some of the fans that haven't.
  • There can’t be anyone who has travelled on a coach to a Charlton away game that hasn’t come across Betty. A true charlton legend 
  • About as ‘proper Charlton’ as you can get. Family, faith and football - wonderful. 
  • The one and only time that I was on one of Betty's coaches was away to W.B.A. at an end of season match. My son left his Charlton bag on the coach on the way home but Betty kept hold of it and arranged to meet first home game the following season to ensure that a seven year old got back his beloved Charlton bag and contents. 
    First class lady in every respect. Keep the faith Betty.
  • Davo55 said:
    Christ, I don't think I've ever met Betty but that was emotional.

Well done the club for recognising her.

And Lyle Taylor. What a truly impressive young man he is. I really hope he stays with us for the rest of his career and, who knows, maybe in coaching or managerial roles in the future. He seems to really "get" Charlton and could be one of our all time legends.
    Agreed, he is a very impressive man and I would love to see him stay with us. 

I get the impression he will be a success whatever he does.