Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rochdale | Sat 04 May | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale
Saturday 4th May 2019 … 5:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction
Doesn’t feel right does it, feels as though only yesterday as though we were preparing for a season opener against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, worrying about what the season might bring, wondering if we’d be in a relegation or promotion battle and whether Roland would be gone (of course not). Yet here we are, the end of the season is upon us, come 8pm tonight our players will be able to rest and look forward to relaxing on the beach… Yeaaa not quite, regardless of our business against Rochdale tomorrow there is still a lot more work to be done to our season just yet!!

The Opposition
Name: Rochdale | Manager: Brian Barry-Murphy
Ground: Spotland

Well I don’t know about any other Addicks fans but this match certainly has a case of déjà vu about it…

Twelve months ago we going into the last day of the season knowing that only a miracle result from Plymouth would stop us from enjoying an extended Play-Off campaign, we would travel to Rochdale looking to carry on our good form from the previous games and against a team almost certain of being relegated it looked a shoe-in for three points… Of course we all know it ended (Joe Thompson deservedly enjoying sort of moment you’d expect in a Hollywood piece) yet a few months ago it felt as though the prizes riding on this game would be of a similar fashion.

We all know (and have enjoyed watching from afar) the relegation drama that has unfolded in League One this campaign and for Rochdale they looked to be one of the many teams involved, only six games ago they were occupying twenty third spot and you had to wonder if lightning couldn’t strike twice… For Manager: Keith Hill that answer would be a resounding NO!!!

Yet incoming would be the relatively unknown: Brian Barry-Murphy, having only just retired from a playing career spent in Midfield you’d have thought that this would be too much of a task for a man taking his first foray into Management… Rochdale though have recovered, they sit seventh in the form table, this game has gone from a repeat of last seasons importance to that of a dead rubber; Dale will be a League One side next term, in a way they owe it to Charlton to return a favour and so give us continued form going into yet another Play-Off campaign

Charlton Team News
On Tuesday night it was confirmed that both Portsmouth and Sunderland would join the Addicks in the Play-Offs yet for Lee Bowyer it’s been a pleasure to have been able to rest and rotate his squad over the last two games, an advantage no other team has enjoyed.

Writing this preview after the weekly press conference means there is less guessing from me… Lee has already confirmed that Jonny Williams will be sitting out this encounter (ankle) whilst both Patrick Bauer and Krystian Bielik will return, the latter needing game time having been absent with a shoulder problem – Having played his first 90 minutes (albeit for the Reserves) its time to see if Jake Forster-Caskey will get his first start of the season, the fan favourite could come in for Josh Cullen who apart from Dillon Phillips has been our sole ever present since clash with Accrington Stanley in mid-January

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Lapslie | Bielik | Aribo
Forster-Caskey
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Page | Pearce | Cullen | Pratley | Reeves | Parker

Prediction
Have to admit that in recent encounters; Rochdale have been a bit of a banana skin… thankfully though that appears to be the case at Spotland rather than the Valley (Rochdale have only ever taken a single point from South East London)… the Manager of the Month curse has struck us though, its time to show its nothing more than fan superstition and put down a marker for the other Play-Off teams!!!

Comments

• 2-0 Home win, not that it matters too much but just keep a bit of momentum going in to the playoffs.

Rest anyone who is carrying a niggle or played a lot, not worth the risk on a nothing game

• is Albie Morgan injured? 
  • is Albie Morgan injured? 
    Dont think so; just couldnt find anywhere in the team for him

I originally had him on the bench in place of Cullen but thought leaving Josh out completely might be a bit too much of a stretch
  • Not to be pedantic but i think they have beat us 1-0 at the Valley. JJ missed a pen
  • Rest Cullen completely. Morgan in place of Lapslie. If there’s a youth striker even remotely looking like he’s ready, put him on the bench and bring him on for Taylor when he’s completed his hat-trick. 
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    Only three more for you to do this season.  ☺
    Charlton to win comfortably 3.0
    Southend to draw with Sunderland and we get to play the 2nd leg of our play off at the valley .
    Cant stress how much I dont want Doncaster in the Play-Offs seeing I've already written three previews around them this season!!
    Well if we do meet them it will be at Wembley .
    One more huge effort needed. 
    You can do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 - 0 Charlton , Taylor and Sarr with the goals. Bring on the playoffs!
  • edited May 2019
    seth plum said:
    FA.
    Have enjoyed and appreciated your league match previews this season.
    Many thanks for your sustained effort, you are a star.
    What this chap said.

Top effort FA, you sit alongside @ross1 and @lancashire lad on the podium in the CL Poster of the Season awards.

Cheeky edit: Sorry, LL, I forgot your stats! Grab yourself a podium place with the other two :)
  • edited May 2019
    seth plum said:
    FA.
    What this chap said.

Top effort FA, you sit alongside @ross1 on the podium in the CL Poster of the Season awards.
    @Ross1 and @lancashire lad certainly do a lot more than me!!... I spend about an hour a week writing waffle

Ross keeps going with updates on games even when we're bloody awful

Lancs and the Prediction League are jobs I dont envy as the stats they have to put together must leave them crossed eyed
  • seth plum said:
    FA.
    What this chap said.

Top effort FA, you sit alongside @ross1 on the podium in the CL Poster of the Season awards.
    @Ross1 and @lancashire lad certainly do a lot more than me!!... I spend about an hour a week writing waffle

Lancs and the Prediction League are jobs I dont envy as the stats they have to put together must leave them crossed eyed
    Bugger! I forgot LL's weekly stats. I've just gone back and added him to my original post and hope that no-one noticed ... ;)
  • My guess at the side is this - 

Phillips
    Lapslie | Bielik | Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Page | Pearce | Cullen | Pratley | Forster-Caskey  | Vetokele

I don't think JFC is ready to start yet; he was way off the pace in his cameo last home game, and despite a 90 minute outing in a friendly, I can't see him playing more than 25-30 minutes as a sub in this game. Reeves (as Williams is out) is the ideal replacement. I also think (despite the ridicule) that we need to give Parker more game time, as we have no other options should Lyle or Igor get injured. I hate it when we go 451 if one of those is out, so let's see Parker in a real 442 (for an hour at least). If Bow really does think he's as bad as the rest of this forum, then we should put Aouachria on the bench and give him 20 minutes at the end. Cullen seems a good call to be rested and we might see Pearce instead of Sarr but who knows!

Please, please, please, nobody get sent off!!!!

COYA!
  • Pedro45 said:
    My guess at the side is this - 

Phillips
    Lapslie | Bielik | Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Page | Pearce | Cullen | Pratley | Forster-Caskey  | Vetokele

I don't think JFC is ready to start yet; he was way off the pace in his cameo last home game, and despite a 90 minute outing in a friendly, I can't see him playing more than 25-30 minutes as a sub in this game. Reeves (as Williams is out) is the ideal replacement. I also think (despite the ridicule) that we need to give Parker more game time, as we have no other options should Lyle or Igor get injured. I hate it when we go 451 if one of those is out, so let's see Parker in a real 442 (for an hour at least). If Bow really does think he's as bad as the rest of this forum, then we should put Aouachria on the bench and give him 20 minutes at the end. Cullen seems a good call to be rested and we might see Pearce instead of Sarr but who knows!

Please, please, please, nobody get sent off!!!!

COYA!
    Yeah I wont be surprised if Forster-Caskey doesnt start with Reeves in his place

Would like to see both Jake and Lewis Page getting some minutes though

Especially the latter as dont really want to play a Play-Off with an Defence without the balance like what we saw against Oxford
  • I know Brian B-M, and he is one of the nicest guys in footy.
    Glad he did well and they stayed up this season, but want us to win 3-0 all the same.
  • 2-0 win . Two up at half time and we take it off Taylor , Cullen and Biliek to avoid injuries. Second half a damp squib 
  • Thanks for the great previews this season FA and on to the playoffs. We shall be at the Valley tomorrow so I'm going for 3-0 and the players marks might be a little late going up!
  • Hoping for a strong side to ensure we get the win then see if either of the two above us slip up so we get the second leg at home
  • Sponsored links:

• Top man FA with your previews.
    In this crazy Dystopian Duchatelet Charlton impasse and the Brexit world of Alice in Wonderland, the one sign of sanity is seeing the weekly preview, news and predictions.

Cheers feller.
  • Thrills all the way 5-4.
  • 9-0

To Rochdale.
  • seth plum said:
    FA.
    What this chap said.

Thanks FA, but my updates are easy compared to the good work LL does
  • (psst, the real CL hero this year is @LTKapal)
  • Can't see a repeat of last May's match, well at least this time I won't be stuck in gridlock on the M62 for a couple of hours! Also last year our performance was at 75% while Rochdale were super motivated, whereas this year I can't see them having that intensity

Not sure what the team will be. Aribo will be at the top of the diamond I imagine, as Reeves has tended to be deeper as more of a playmaker. Not sure Cullen needs a rest, he seems super fit, if anything Aribo probably needs protecting more. Reeves needs the minutes anyway

Dillon
    Djiksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Reeves            Cullen
    Aribo
    Igor Taylor

• As if the albatross of Bow's MotM award for April wasn't enough to contend with Charlton will also have the match ruining narcissism and rule ignoring fuckwittery of the repugnant C Breakspear - stinking up the ground as referee for the Rochdale fixture.
    I hate that nerk nearly as much as I hate roly.
  • As if the albatross of Bow's MotM award for April wasn't enough to contend with Charlton will also have the match ruining narcissism and rule ignoring fuckwittery of the repugnant C Breakspear - stinking up the ground as referee for the Rochdale fixture.
    I hate that nerk nearly as much as I hate roly.
    Won both League games 2-0 when he's officiated this season...

But yeah he was the idiot who gave Plymouth everything including no reaction from him when they were pushing him when he didnt give a corner
  • Think we could spank them. 5-0.