Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling Play-Off Semi-Final at 3pm on Sunday

Having put an impressive second-half of the season together with a small squad of first teamers, the Wings finished in third place in National League South and face Chelmsford Town at Park View Road at 3pm on Sunday in their play-off semi-final. They beat Chelmsford comfortably enough in their league fixture at Park view Road a couple of weeks ago so will be confident of securing a place in the play-off final. If you have a spare afternoon why not get over there and support the Wings. They play good attacking football and have been scoring plenty of goals in the run-in (entrance £12).

Comments

• Its a shame that Chelsmford have had a bye through to the Semi-Finals as Welling should have had the advantage of playing a game less

To be honest I dont even get why there are Ground issues to go from the National League North / South to the National League (like what Concord Rangers have suffered) - Surely its all under the one body so the ground rules should be across all three Leagues, surely it should change so your either not allowed to go up into the Football League or you just shouldnt be allowed into the National League Regional Level in the first place
  • The National Leauge South play off format has had to be amended. As playoff will not include Concord (finished 6th), who's ground does not allow them into the National Leauge as it does not have 500 covered seats,

Weds 1st May Bath v Wealdstone 

Sunday 5th Woking v winner of the above

Sunday 5th Welling v Chelmsford

Sunday 12th May Final with winners from above.

Highest place team has home advantage in Final. 

• I'll be along to this.  COYW!!
  • Its a shame that Chelsmford have had a bye through to the Semi-Finals as Welling should have had the advantage of playing a game less

To be honest I dont even get why there are Ground issues to go from the National League North / South to the National League (like what Concord Rangers have suffered) - Surely its all under the one body so the ground rules should be across all three Leagues, surely it should change so your either not allowed to go up into the Football League or you just shouldnt be allowed into the National League Regional Level in the first place
    It's a nonsense really, especially as the rules then don't allow the next team down to go into the playoffs instead. 

• All a bit silly.

Can't get promoted as they don't have 500 covered seats.

Their average crowd this season...............404.

At the very least (if they did get promoted) they should be allowed a 1 year grace period. I've read that Concord even said they could get it sorted over this summer, but the league said no.

It's a nonsense really, especially as the rules then don't allow the next team down to go into the playoffs instead. 

I'm a little surprised as thought this was the case... e.g. in 2016/17 (the last year of the the four team Play-Offs), there were teams who finished outside the placings in both North and South yet involved because teams above them didnt have the ground requirements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_National_League#League_table_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_National_League#League_table_3

In my opinion it made it a bit of a joke i.e. where do you draw the line in terms of entering the next team down (i.e. Hampton finished two places outside the Play-Offs that year but were allowed in)
  • All a bit silly.

At the very least (if they did get promoted) they should be allowed a 1 year grace period. I've read that Concord even said they could get it sorted over this summer, but the league said no.
    a football league body not showing common sense there is a 1st - tossers
  • All a bit silly.

Why do the seats have to be covered in the first place... Or is the issue just seats in general?
  • All a bit silly.

Exactly this. 1 year period is ideal but if they can get it done over the summer what’s the issue?

doubt they are eager to pay for the work if they don’t get promoted, what’s wrong with waiting and seeing what happens in the playoffs.
  • All a bit silly.

Exactly this. 1 year period is ideal but if they can get it done over the summer what’s the issue?

doubt they are eager to pay for the work if they don’t get promoted, what’s wrong with waiting and seeing what happens in the playoffs.
    All clubs know the criteria that’s required in order to gain promotion up the ladder.
    I believe there is a time scale for work to be carried out during the season for the following season.  Surely if a club has an ambition to progress and they are near the top then they should make sure that they can get the work done in time or be disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on The Romans
  • All a bit silly.

Still find it remarkable Brentford are allowed Terrace in the championship 
  • All a bit silly.

Both Yeovil and Peterborough have been in the Championship with the same of late
  • All a bit silly.

This is one of the problems for many non-league clubs.

To meet requirements clubs have to build random covered terrace stands, no bigger than a bus shelter at times.  This could cost 5K upwards, and these clubs are getting double figure gates.
  • All a bit silly.

Both Yeovil and Peterborough have been in the Championship with the same of late
    Colchester were in the championship from 2006-08 at their old Layer Road ground. 
  • All a bit silly.

Brentford are building a new ground so they've probably been excused from having to do up Griffin Park which needs a complete overhaul. 
  • All a bit silly.

Why do the seats have to be covered in the first place... Or is the issue just seats in general?
    No idea.

Most likely some fat guy in a suit made the figure up at a lunch meeting.

Beats me why a club who don't even get crowds of 500 have to have 500 covered seats or they can't go up.
  • Anyway, Concord's seating capacity aside, it would be great to see a few hundred Charlton fans supporting the Wings for the day. They really do play good football and it should be a cracking match with Chelmsford likely to bring several hundred as they did in the league fixture.
  • Anyway, Concord's seating capacity aside, it would be great to see a few hundred Charlton fans supporting the Wings for the day. They really do play good football and it should be a cracking match with Chelmsford likely to bring several hundred as they did in the league fixture.
    Gutted I’m away this weekend mate, would have been there.

Still, am free on the 12th when we’re in the final.
  • See you there Russ - enjoy your weekend away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Welling won 3-2 in their playoff semi-final and go on to play Woking (at Woking) in the final. Congratulations and good luck to our favourite local non-league team. Shame the Charlton faithful can’t get there due to a certain important match taking place in Doncaster the same day! 

Is John Bartley still banging them in at PVR?
  • meldrew66 said:
    Welling won 3-2 in their playoff semi-final and go on to play Woking (at Woking) in the final. Congratulations and good luck to our favourite local non-league team. Shame the Charlton faithful can’t get there due to a certain important match taking place in Doncaster the same day! 

Is John Bartley still banging them in at PVR?
    Some of the Charlton faithful will be at Woking.....The goal-scorers at Welling these days are the whole team but spear-headed by big Danny Mills and little Bradley Goldberg. Cracking match yesterday with a good atmosphere and a dramatic finish which sent the home fans away happy.
  • Good turn out yesterday crowd was 1912 congratulations to Welling. 
  • Probably 600 Chelmsford there...
  • Going to watch the away game to Doncaster in the sports pub in the corner of Waterloo Station, then jump on a train to Woking (20 mins).