Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No 20 your time is up!

Hope he's able to get up to 300 appearances, but we need to be looking for a long-term replacement now. 

Comments

• I already started this thread! It didn't go well then and won't now 
  • Leuth said:
    I already started this thread! It didn't go well then and won't now 
    Come in Reevesey, ..
  • How can people judge a player playing out of position like this.

Chris has looked his usual self at RB since Purrington came in, he was forced to slot in at left back at very short notice today
  • Zzzzzzzzzz
  • If we sign a better right back then he loses his place, but at the moment he’s the best we have in his position.

If Bowyer had the budget to keep this squad together and strengthen it wherever he wanted I’d like to see an attacking right back, attacking left back (need them in the diamond formation), a striker or two and a goalscoring midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s an overreaction and although I suspect made in a bit of jest, is a stupid thread. 

But let’s not pretend it has just been one bad performance. Like Purrington, Solly has been solid is a mean defence, but we do need more attacking modern full backs with Bowyers diamond formation. Solly also hasn’t been at his best for a couple of seasons now, certainly doesn’t look a capable Championship player anymore. 
    I'd agree that we need more attacking full backs but dont agree with the consensus that Solly doesnt get forward enough

That cross for Taylor's goal @ Plymouth being an example, not just of what Chris can do going forward but embarrassingly he's one of the few who can beat their first man when crossing!!
  • edited April 2019
    He is not the player he was for sure, but he is still good enough at this level. The problem with yesterday was he was playing out of position and at left back he can do a job, but not always depending on the opposition. I will say I thought he was rubbish yesterday, but that was playing out of position and he certainly isn't rubbish or a problem for us at this time. 
  • It’s an overreaction and although I suspect made in a bit of jest, is a stupid thread. 

But let’s not pretend it has just been one bad performance. Like Purrington, Solly has been solid is a mean defence, but we do need more attacking modern full backs with Bowyers diamond formation. Solly also hasn’t been at his best for a couple of seasons now, certainly doesn’t look a capable Championship player anymore. 
    I'd agree that we need more attacking full backs but dont agree with the consensus that Solly doesnt get forward enough

That cross for Taylor's goal @ Plymouth being an example, not just of what Chris can do going forward but embarrassingly he's one of the few who can beat their first man when crossing!!
    I haven’t seen him get forward enough personally, I have only been around 12 times this season, I believe he has started 10. The cross for Taylor’s goal was indeed superb but I can’t think of anymore similar? 

He has been a great servant and I would keep him regardless of what league we are in next season, but IMO he shouldn’t be starting in our current formation. It doesn’t suit his style and contributes to our lack of width. 
  • I think if the team has Vetokele and Taylor up top and Sarr feeding the midfielders, you don't need your full backs to push forwards too much. No more than they do anyway. When you don't it is more of an issue.
  • We will be ok if Aribo, Taylor and Igor are available in the play offs and in big trouble if any of them aren’t. We have zero attacking options to replace them. 

He has to bring Fosu back in. He’s not going to be the only one who won’t be here next season and needs a club. Tell him to get out there and earn himself a decent move. We’re not going to get last seasons Fosu but we don’t need that, just gives us something else from the bench. 
  • LenGlover said:
    There's a phrase when people don't want to engage in debate that 'I won't dignify that with a response' or similar.

Not a phrase I believe in using as everyone is entitled to an opinion but if I was to use it now would be the time.

The bloke is arguably our most consistent player over many years and apparently (I didn't see it myself) had a bad game playing out of position and at very short notice!

If we ever get a proper owner I expect this thread to run and run like Jacko's did.
    I made the mistake of being one of the idiots that wrote Jacko off on his thread.  It’s definitely a topic worthy of debate, but I agree with Len and I’m not going to make the same mistake here.  Solly still has a role to play.  Only 2 weeks ago he put in the cross for Taylor at Plymouth.  

He, like Jacko are top players and in actual fact, some of the knee jerk posts I put on JJ’s thread are probably some of the stupidest things I’ve written on this site in the 9 years I’ve been on here.  I cringe to look back at what I wrote and if I could take them back I would 

• Without going into too much about the Jacko thread, to be fair the OP was right at the time when it was created as we had JBG, Cousins, Buyens and Bulot which was our best midfield at the time so it's fair to say Jacko shouldn't have been first team at that time. But due to the poor mismanagement of the club on and off the pitch there became room for Jacko in the team again due to signing poor replacements for Buyens and Bulot which took us down to League One and a level where Jacko could command a place in the first team again.

It's fair to say Solly's best days are behind him and League One is quite possibly his level now but this is a different scenario I don't feel there's a better RB at the club than Solly to take his place so until there is then it's quite possible this thread could go on for a good few years and possibly beyond Solly justifiably signing another deal or two with us yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends what you want and at what level. Jackson was past his best and if we'd had serious aspirations to promotion to the Premiership he wasn't up to it - as it was RD wasn't interested so it didn't matter.

Solly is definitely up to L1 as far as I can see but not at LB.
  • cabbles said:
    LenGlover said:
    There's a phrase when people don't want to engage in debate that 'I won't dignify that with a response' or similar.

Not a phrase I believe in using as everyone is entitled to an opinion but if I was to use it now would be the time.

The bloke is arguably our most consistent player over many years and apparently (I didn't see it myself) had a bad game playing out of position and at very short notice!

If we ever get a proper owner I expect this thread to run and run like Jacko's did.
    I made the mistake of being one of the idiots that wrote Jacko off on his thread.  It’s definitely a topic worthy of debate, but I agree with Len and I’m not going to make the same mistake here.  Solly still has a role to play.  Only 2 weeks ago he put in the cross for Taylor at Plymouth.  

He, like Jacko are top players and in actual fact, some of the knee jerk posts I put on JJ’s thread are probably some of the stupidest things I’ve written on this site in the 9 years I’ve been on here.  I cringe to look back at what I wrote and if I could take them back I would 

Just don't let the mods catch you saying things like that .
     😁
  • cabbles said:
    LenGlover said:

Jackson should have been moved on in 2014 when I started the original thread as he was past his best but he wasn't and that was symptomatic of the lack of ambition in the club and mirrored our decline. RD didn't aspire to try to get promotion from the Championship and we were ultimately doomed to L1 due to our poor squad.

Sentimentality aside sometimes players have to be moved on if you want to achieve. I still think Solly can do a job at RB but up to what level I don't know.
  • edited April 2019
    Hilarious re-writing of history

"Don't think Jacko adds anything to the team anymore. Shouldn't be starting as the game is passing him by."

Nothing about other players, aiming for the Premier League or Duchatelet.

Was embarrassingsly proved wrong again and again for five years but now trying to use Roland as cover
  • Hilarious re-writing of history

"Don't think Jacko adds anything to the team anymore. Shouldn't be starting as the game is passing him by."

Was embarrassingsly proved wrong again and again for five years but now trying to use Roland as cover
    Certainly wasn't proved wrong. Jackson's career was tailing off as evidenced by the stats and we were relegated the following season to L1.

If the club had aspirations which is obvious it didn't he would have been moved on. 

If Charlton had been a rip roaring success and Jackson hadn't been on the wane after I posted the thread then I'd be wrong. 

• At RB he's fine. At LB he's a liability.
  • edited April 2019
    Hilarious re-writing of history

Certainly wasn't proved wrong. Jackson's career was tailing off as evidenced by the stats and we were relegated the following season to L1.

If the club had aspirations which is obvious it didn't he would have been moved on. 

If Charlton had been a rip roaring success and Jackson hadn't been on the wane after I posted the thread then I'd be wrong. 

Ha ha

Yeah, you were proved right five years later.

And relegation was all JJs fault, ha ha.

Put that shovel down, you've been digging that hole for soooo long now you must be tired.

• It would be a shame if some of the fans started abusing him, he has been a great servant for the club.
  • Pathetic thread.

Solly played at a similar level, to every game that he's played at left back (apart from the lunge to get sent off).
    He played the first half right in front us and so we had a close up view.
    He wasn't great, but never has been at left back, because he's a not a fookin left back.
    He didn't give the ball away, he just played sideways/backwards.
    He did nothing wrong as such (apart from the sending off).

Reeves was worse, as was Williams, Parker and Djiksteel. 
    Not to mention that Purrington would have been preparing all week for the position and who he was likely to come up against, Solly probably had just a few hours notice on tne coach!
  • Hilarious re-writing of history

Ha ha

Yeah, you were proved right five years later.

How exactly was I proved wrong? Jackson declined and was part of a team that got relegated.

How exactly did keeping him help us or am I missing something. Do you not think we should move players on or do they get protected status because they were a club legend?

At the time I made the original thread I foolishly thought the club still had aspirations to getting promotion hence why we needed better players. 

Would you not have liked better players and do you genuinely believe he hadn't declined as a player.