Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We shall not be moved Sir Henry...

..,oh yes you are!

Comments

• Shame to move it but money talks. 
  • Stick the statue in front of The Valley in place of the Bartram one. We should honour a proper Charlton legend
  • Stick the statue in front of The Valley in place of the Bartram one. We should honour a proper Charlton legend
    Excellent idea
  • That cardigan he's wearing under that cape is a bit long though  ;)
  • Just melt it down and give the proceeds to the Notre Dam restoration fund.

It's for the best.
  • I’ve never understood the connection to Charlton, although remember coming back from away games in the early 70’s and fans heading to his statue and singing “Henry, Henry Irving ooo ooo”
  • I’ve never understood the connection to Charlton, although remember coming back from away games in the early 70’s and fans heading to his statue and singing “Henry, Henry Irving ooo ooo”
    You've answered your own question really.
    But why? Its not as if he was connected in any way to Charlton, I was only a young teenager then and just followed the crowd
  • Exactly his statue was a meeting point. When at London games we would go to the statue following away games if we had got split up and then move onto a pub. No mobiles in those days. 
    But why? Its not as if he was connected in any way to Charlton, I was only a young teenager then and just followed the crowd
    His grandson became famous. 
    We were visionaries 
  • Sponsored links:

We were visionaries 
    He had an affair with my cousin (Ellen Terry)
    We were visionaries 
    I’ve been round her house. :)
  • 3blokes said:
    I’ve never understood the connection to Charlton, although remember coming back from away games in the early 70’s and fans heading to his statue and singing “Henry, Henry Irving ooo ooo”
    We were visionaries 
    I’ve been round her house. :)
    I drove past her old drum today as it happens....she met a nasty end didn't she? 
    We were visionaries 
    That's where John Terry gets it from
  • Exactly his statue was a meeting point. When at London games we would go to the statue following away games if we had got split up and then move onto a pub. No mobiles in those days. 
    That makes sense now it just seems strange his name was chanted with such adoration 
    That makes sense now it just seems strange his name was chanted with such adoration 
    And so it should be
    If it wasn’t for him, we’d have all got lost in London. 

A true Charlton legend. 

:wink:
  • stonemuse said:
    Exactly his statue was a meeting point. When at London games we would go to the statue following away games if we had got split up and then move onto a pub. No mobiles in those days. 
    If it wasn’t for him, we’d have all got lost in London. 

A true Charlton legend. 

:wink:
    Now you mention that I remember after an away game  at Watford coming back through Euston station singing and the Man City players who had been playing Spurs were walking across the concourse to catch their train home then after terrorising Francis Lee and Mike Summerbee heard loads of spurs fans on the other side of the station naturally we scattered assuming we were outnumbered only to join up with the Spurs fans to seek out Man City fans on their way home and after making our way back to Charing Cross via the statue of Henry Irving and meeting up with fellow supporters split up during the altercation telling stories of our exploits.