Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unpopular Opinions-Non Football Related

Comments

• McBobbin said:
    Re the cure for cancer, I've worked on a few... A complete cure to all cancers is a long, long way off. 

Unpopular opinion time - global pharma may not be perfect, but it's the best model we've got right now..
    Thank you for adding a bit of sanity to that particular topic McBobbin, and thank you for the selfless work you've done in that field. In my (unpopular?) opinion, the premise that governments and pharmaceutical companies have a cure for this awful disease but have kept it 'secret' for financial reasons is utterly ludicrous!!

There's not a family on the planet that has not been affected by cancer in some way. To think that government leaders and CEOs/employees of pharmaceutical companies are keeping a cure a 'dark secret' in order to keep lining their pockets, whilst some of their loved ones and friends contract the disease, is nuts! It's of 'flat earth' proportions.
    Hardly selfless, seeing as I help to protect the IP, thus making many drugs unaffordable... Which again is a less than perfect system. Perhaps a model based around worldwide government funding and all drugs are free for all... Though can see how that might be a dangerous political football. Charitable funding? Possibly half an answer.

Anyway, totally agree with your point. There's no reason in earth why information like that would be suppressed
  • Rum tastes better with lemonade than it does with cola.
  • Gin is best with tonic, ice and lemon and not flavoured with raspberry, strawberry, pomegranate or any other fruit.
    Gin is best with tonic, ice and LIME.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has to be lemon, and Schweppes Indian Tonic, none of this floral Fever Tree crap.
  • Electric cars will increase pedestrian deaths.
  • TFL should ban muppets who think using their mobile phone to tap in and tap out is a good idea. It’s not, it clearly never works without having half a dozen tries and all you do is create a queue of people behind you. 
  • Stig said:
    David Bowie is overrated, self indulgent old tosh, just like Kate Bush!

No one outside of Britain EVER gave a crap about Kate Bush.
    Number ones in Ireland, France, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand all say you're wrong.
    This is a thread about UN-popular opinions. Keep your legit ones out.

I just thought of a couple, which won't be too popular in your country;

The world does not revolve around  the USA and Americans can't spell so they make words and spellings up.

Sorry Napa but your Dave and Kate comments were insulting to all thing holy. 

• McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:
    Re the cure for cancer, I've worked on a few... A complete cure to all cancers is a long, long way off. 

Unpopular opinion time - global pharma may not be perfect, but it's the best model we've got right now..
    Thank you for adding a bit of sanity to that particular topic McBobbin, and thank you for the selfless work you've done in that field. In my (unpopular?) opinion, the premise that governments and pharmaceutical companies have a cure for this awful disease but have kept it 'secret' for financial reasons is utterly ludicrous!!

There's not a family on the planet that has not been affected by cancer in some way. To think that government leaders and CEOs/employees of pharmaceutical companies are keeping a cure a 'dark secret' in order to keep lining their pockets, whilst some of their loved ones and friends contract the disease, is nuts! It's of 'flat earth' proportions.
    Hardly selfless, seeing as I help to protect the IP, thus making many drugs unaffordable... Which again is a less than perfect system. Perhaps a model based around worldwide government funding and all drugs are free for all... Though can see how that might be a dangerous political football. Charitable funding? Possibly half an answer.

Anyway, totally agree with your point. There's no reason in earth why information like that would be suppressed
    The unpopular point being, if a cure was to be found, I just don’t have the faith and confidence that it will be released. The industry makes far, far too much money and the worldwide economy will suffer dramatically for it. It’s completely wrong and I hate this idea/thought, but it is something that could happen. The amount of money going into research and medicines anyway, a lot of things based and reliant upon that money wouldn’t exist. It would put too many people out of work, it would mean we continue to over-populate our planet.

Again, I repeat that it is awful and horrible. And you don’t have to agree, that’s the point of this thread I suppose. But it is what it is. 
  • Wilma said:
    Harry Potter is just a kids book and adults should stop banging on about it. 
    'would you like the book in the children's or adult's cover'
  • I thought Jorge Costa was average.
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:
    David Attenborough is massively overrated, he sits in a studio doing a bit of voiceover work while some poor bastard sits in the arctic for 3 months, and no, this injustice is not solved by the fact they give the cameraman 30 seconds once a series. 
    I'll admit that I'm a bit of a superfan of David Attenborough, so strongly disagree with this. The irony is that having had the privilege of spending time with him, he'd agree with you.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I thought Jorge Costa was average.
    That's got to be a joke.
  • Sage said:
    McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:

The unpopular point being, if a cure was to be found, I just don’t have the faith and confidence that it will be released. The industry makes far, far too much money and the worldwide economy will suffer dramatically for it. It’s completely wrong and I hate this idea/thought, but it is something that could happen. The amount of money going into research and medicines anyway, a lot of things based and reliant upon that money wouldn’t exist. It would put too many people out of work, it would mean we continue to over-populate our planet.

Again, I repeat that it is awful and horrible. And you don’t have to agree, that’s the point of this thread I suppose. But it is what it is. 
    So you don't think like GravesendAddick that a cure has been found.
    You just think if a cure was found it might be "buried".
  • If a cure was found, big time money would be made from it gave no fear. People will always get cancer, as the biggest cause is aging, an aging population will continue to get cancer and need curing. It might be possible to put a stop to aging (need to fix telomere degradation and senesense... it can be done in some models) but even that won't wipe out cancer for good. 
  • Riviera said:
    The Boat Race is an elitist non-event. It was popular in the past when we were a subservient nation cowering to the ruling classes but it is now happily seen as simply irrelevant.  
    Your just going with the flow.
  • hawksmoor said:
    Keeping it light again. Frank Sinatra; no matter how many people tell me he's the consummate interpreter of the American songbook, to me his singing sounds like he's just talking.
    Exactly - he basically invented rapping. 
  • The Channel tunnel should be blocked and used for land fill so we can become an Island again, and  a 1000 new Martello towers build. 
    We welcome new entrants if the paper works is in order and expel all wrong doers to the Scottish islands which become prison colonies.

I believe in choice so evil killers can decide their fate, death by Hanging, cyanide tablets, electric chair or watching reality TV on a loop with just a sip of water a day.

Peace and love.

Ps. Sorry I thought it said popular opinions.
  • James Corden is an annoying Twat. 
  • edited April 2019
    Restricting economic migration from EU nations will fatally hamstring the NHS - which is what the "fleet street"/tory cabal and their paymasters wanted all along.
  • Sponsored links:

• James Corden is an annoying Twat. 
    The thread is for unpopular opinions... Surely your comment isnt that?
  • Trevor McDonald is one of the most fortunately overpromoted blokes ever to read an autocue into a TV camera, even that he has struggled with all along.  I'm sure he's a lovely chap but 'journalist', 'presenter', give me strength...
  • Conspiracy theories about "BigPharma" are risible juvenile tosh.
  • Cockwomble is an abhorrent homophobic epithet and its users are contemptible.
  • "Unpopular Opinions" is a tired concept that should be allowed to quietly fade away.

Please.
  • Rachel Riley's got a face like a robbers dog
  • People trusting Jeremy Corbyns judgement.

Remember he once looked across to the adjoining pillow one morning and thought fuck me, I need to get new glasses .

• Rachel Riley's got a face like a robbers dog
    I was going to post the same about KM, never understood how some found her attractive
  • hawksmoor said:
    Keeping it light again. Frank Sinatra; no matter how many people tell me he's the consummate interpreter of the American songbook, to me his singing sounds like he's just talking.
    This, always found his voice very plain and monotone, Matt Monro, Dean Martin and Tony Bennett much better