Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade Trophy (Pg 4 - 2018/19 draw)

Comments

• Disappointed that Pompey won last night. Not because of the extra game they have to play but simply because a Portsmouth v Sunderland final is probably about as big a final as you can get in this competition in terms of support.

Having them 2 in the final (assuming Sunderland win their semi final), actually redeems the competition in the eyes of the sponsors and organisers and Wembley might even sell out for it.

Was hoping for a totally shit Bristol Rovers v Bury final.
    Or two of the under 21 sides to show the competition up as the farce it is.
  • Disappointed that Pompey won last night. Not because of the extra game they have to play but simply because a Portsmouth v Sunderland final is probably about as big a final as you can get in this competition in terms of support.

Having them 2 in the final (assuming Sunderland win their semi final), actually redeems the competition in the eyes of the sponsors and organisers and Wembley might even sell out for it.

Was hoping for a totally shit Bristol Rovers v Bury final.
    Or two of the under 21 sides to show the competition up as the farce it is.
    That would show that the U21 sides deserve to be in there surely as the FA would think they can compete and so add strength to "B" Teams being added to the Football League

Only good thing about that sort of Final would be the small attendance it would maybe attract as not sure if fans of Man City would want to travel down to Wembley to see their Reserves play
  • we would struggle to sell 15,000 tickets for that at wembley, presuming each team gets 30,000 tickets i cant see that amount of sunderland or pompey fans attending, especially when going well in the league 
  • we would struggle to sell 15,000 tickets for that at wembley, presuming each team gets 30,000 tickets i cant see that amount of sunderland or pompey fans attending, especially when going well in the league 
    Sunderland took 1600 fans to Morecambe for a Checkatrade group game! They'll surely sell out their final allocation if they get there.

Regardless of what people think of the competition, it's still a final at Wembley.
  • edited March 2019
    Portsmouth v Sunderland final at Wembley 
  • Portsmouth v Sunderland final at Wembley 
    Portsmouth v Sunderland final at Wembley 

be a good dress rehearsal/familiarisation exercise for one of them for when they meet us in the p/o final
  • Portsmouth v Sunderland final at Wembley 
    Unusual for the final to be 2 of the top teams in L1 (which is what you'd expect) as often you get a L2 or mid table team there.
  • Over 80 thousand going.
    Both teams have sold over 40k tickets for the final.
  • looking like a crowd of c80,000 with Sunderland virtually sold out and Pompey so far sold 30k
  • A record for the competition? 

The L1 playoffs will also deliver massive crowds this season
  • Sponsored links:

• looking like a crowd of c80,000 with Sunderland virtually sold out and Pompey so far sold 30k
    Pompey have sold out, over 40,000 tickets so all gone.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2019/march/wembley-tickets-sold-out/
  • edited March 2019
    sunderland 40k sold - got to admit im impressed from both clubs and really did not expect it i genuinely think charlton would struggle to sell 20k
  • sunderland 40k sold - got to admit im impressed from both clubs and really did not expect it i genuinely think charlton would struggle to sell 20k

Disagree PH.  We'd sell well over 30k in my opinion.   Seeing your team at Wembley would bring back many people who haven't been for years, even just as a one off.
  • we'd sell 40k for any game at Wembley if unrestricted sale etc.
  • sunderland 40k sold - got to admit im impressed from both clubs and really did not expect it i genuinely think charlton would struggle to sell 20k

Disagree PH.  We'd sell well over 30k in my opinion.   Seeing your team at Wembley would bring back many people who haven't been for years, even just as a one off.
    dont dispute that for a play off final we would - but this really no disrespect intended is mickey mouse
  • Last year Lincoln beat Shrewsbury in front of 41000 people. Half this year's attendance, but it shows the attraction of a Wembley final. Interesting to see how the fortunes of the 2 clubs have diverged since then

• Jesus thats gonna be a packed train for such a long journey
  • edited March 2019
    Jermain Defoe tweeted this earlier this morning

After a few comments from pompy fans reminding him he played for them as well he tweeted this.

• Sponsored links:

• Working today (unfortunately!)  On a met line train that has just gone thru Wembley Park. There are already Portsmouth and Sunderland fans everywhere. Sunderland fans in particular very mouthy. I think the police will be busy today !
  • Good atmosphere on the District Line earlier this morning going through Victoria. Plenty of Sunderland looking the worse for wear after a good night. 

Group next to me were saying how disappointed they’ve been with Grigg so far.

• iaitch said:
    Let's hope the players knock seven bells out of each other so they have depleted squads for the run in and play offs. 
    I'm hoping for a minimum of 22 injured players out for the season.
  • Please can we get Portsmouth in the playoffs. They look dogshite.
  • Over 85,000 for the game is really impressive. 
  • At least both squads will be knackered now.
  • Glad it has gone to extra time.... can’t work out which team I want to win to advantage cafc