Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Tears of a Clown

2»

Comments

• The Beat is a very good cover of a Smokey track that is arguably one of the best if not the best Motown tracks ever made.

The legendary Smokey Robinson by a huge margin.

• Sorry, links weren't working

Should be OK now but I think the public have spoken.
  • No Contest . The Beat ! 
    PM me your address & I'll send you some cotton buds to clean your ears out.

Appreciate that not everyone likes Motown (Although this actually came out on the Tamla label in the States) but really, no one could better the Smokey version.
    And then only released as single on Tamla, pulled from the album Make It Happen, when the single was released first on the UK Tamla-Motown label. In a similar way, Curtis Mayfield's Move On Up wasn't originally released as a single.
  • Smokey beats The Beat
  • Smokey

”when Smokey sings, I hear violins”
  • Halix said:
    I cant stand either version!, Im scared of clowns.
    The fears of a clown?
  • Smokey. Easy.
  • edited March 2019
    bobmunro said:

The Beat is a very good cover of a Smokey track that is arguably one of the best if not the best Motown tracks ever made.

Sorry Bob you are normally spot on but that's a real sweeper that argument deserves a thread of it's own 
    For instance what about 

This old heart of mine ..the isley bros

Same old song ....four tops

Anything from Stevie 
  • lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:

The Beat is a very good cover of a Smokey track that is arguably one of the best if not the best Motown tracks ever made.

Sorry Bob you are normally spot on but that's a real sweeper that argument deserves a thread of it's own 
    For instance what about 

Anything from Stevie 
    I will admit to being guilty of hyperbole at times!!

But I would stick to the argument that some may be as good but few if any are better than Tears of a Clown.

• Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:

For instance what about 

Anything from Stevie 
    Don't forget Marvin.
  • hawksmoor said:
    lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:

For instance what about 

Anything from Stevie 
    Don't forget Marvin.
    Diana, Martha,the temptations etc..if I had to choose my favourite Motown song I'd go for 

Just ask the lonely..four tops or just my imagination ..temptations but that might change tomorrow 
  • lolwray said:
    hawksmoor said:
    lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:

For instance what about 

Anything from Stevie 
    Don't forget Marvin.
    Diana, Martha,the temptations etc..if I had to choose my favourite Motown song I'd go for 

Just ask the lonely..four tops or just my imagination ..temptations but that might change tomorrow 
    miss ross as she insisted on being called only got where she was/is because she was "favoured" shall we say by Berry Gordy & so received the full force of the Motown publicity machine behind her. She wasn't even the best singer in the Supremes !!! Try listening to the talents of Brenda Holloway, a far far far better singer than ross but was held back because she rejected the advances of an important person within the Corporation.
  • She wasn't even the best-looking in The Supremes. That would be Mary Wilson.
  • Diana Ross wasn't even in the Supremes.  She had a stand in called Pete Ross.
  • Must be said though, the Supremes had some awesome tunes.

Wonder how a Stax Vs Motown competition would go doen