Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Can Charlton Take That Curbishley Back For Good ?

Contender for Corniest Title of the Year, but in a world where EVERYTHING CHANGES, I am SURE that he is the right man to RELIGHT MY FIRE. Oohaah and Len Glover have always maintained we should NEVER FORGET, well i just PRAY you read my thoughts. IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE after all

:-)

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/

Comments

• Whoever we get in, we need to show PATIENCE
  • Good piece, AFKA.

But I'm going to pick just one word out of it which is enough to convince me.

And the word is : "methodical''. I used to think it was a rather dull word. But, boy, does it sound sweet today!

I mean, ask yourself : when did we last hear the words "methodical'' and "Charlton" used in the same sentence?

Exactly. It was four managers ago.

Please, AC. Like AFKA says, just for six months...
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Whoever we get in, we need to show PATIENCE

I think he needs to SHINE
  • edited November 2008
    Under Curbs' we could RULE THE WORLD?!
  • In order to get him back we may have to all sing him A MILLION LOVE SONGS
  • If it happened, would it be "The Greatest Day" I wonder.
  • There would be complaints because he didn't ENTERTAIN YOU:-)
  • Knew i should have just blitzed the whole song catalogue in my opening post !

Seriously though, any particular points those that have read it agree / disagree with ?
  • Well written piece AFKA, makes good sense to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liked the piece AFKA, I think the key will be for Curbishley to realise how limited his options are in the Premiership in order to take the job with us.

The media have clearly, and very unfairly, tagged him as "boring" and are trying to spin that his time with Wet Spam was a failure. As a result, there are very few clubs in the Premiership that would touch him, especially in the south, and I can really only see Fulham and Pompey as realistic Premiership options. Certainly no big club or one with genuine pretensions to Europe (Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland) will be keen on poor old Curbs.

Even if Curbishley wanted to look further north at smaller clubs there would be only the limited options of Blackburn, Wigan and Boro - I doubt he'd fancy that much for the same reasons that Arry Boy turned down the Geordies earlier this year.

As a result he might as well give the Charlton job some serious consideration, even if its only a short-term position until the end of the season.

The funny thing is that, based on his time at Colchester, Phil Parkinson is probably the second best qualified and available person for the job and would probably be an even hotter candidate if he was not already at the club.

I know Billy Davies has his admirers on here, and there is no doubting his credentials, but the bloke turned us down before when we were in the Premiership so I can't see why he'd take it now we're in the crap.

Added to that, he had major fallouts with his boards at Preston and Derby which makes me think he might be a bit of a loose canon, and that's the last bloody thing we need.
  • The funny thing is that, based on his time at Colchester, Phil Parkinson is probably the second best qualified and available person for the job and would probably be an even hotter candidate if he was not already at the club.

Valid pont, it is his association with the old regime that is worrying people.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]The funny thing is that, based on his time at Colchester, Phil Parkinson is probably the second best qualified and available person for the job and would probably be an even hotter candidate if he was not already at the club.

Valid pont, it is his association with the old regime that is worrying people.
    I think you mean that (in some people's eyes) his association with the old regime makes him doomed before he's even started. Not mine, I think Pardew's ego is so big that anything Parky had to offer in the management dept was well and truly supressed.

We need to look at this as a new appointment and a new start. Parky at least has management experience.
  • Good article Dan, you've raised a lot of points that I'd not even considered. There's a lot of food for thought there, not least of all the idea that Curbs' top flight options are limited by lack of openings and his stock being far lower than when he left us.

That kind of logic makes the notion of Curbs coming back not too ridiculous at all. This is Curbs we're talking about though, he's a proud man and likes to do things his way, and I do believe he won't go over old ground. If he does think it might improve his stock he might just go for it.

As for our POV, if like you say, we can't afford anything other than a man who is currently out of work, than that very much puts Curbs in pole position.

So who knows, maybe those two facts combined, together with a little discussion between old pals, might bring about the marriage that many would want. I said no outright to Curbs in the poll but having looked a little deeper maybe having him til the end of the season might suit both parties very nicely.
  • good article, personally I can't see him coming anywhere near us.....an ideal situation would be him taking it for the rest of the season with Kinsella working closely by him ready to assume the reins next.

One things for certain, if Kinsella were to eventually take over he would certainly have the full backing and support of the fans and that alone would buy him a certain amount of time to get it right.

My only other choice would be Di Canio....
  • Good but if Parky gets a couple of half-decent results he will more than likely stay.
  • Has everyone forgotten what happened almost every March/April/May. Can we chance that happening again?
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Has everyone forgotten what happened almost every March/April/May. Can we chance that happening again?

cruising to a mid table finish in the prem.
  • Point taken TK but we're not cruising and the safety of 52/54 points looks a hell of a long way away to me.
  • edited November 2008
    Listen smudge, I might have a picture of you beside me. And your lipstick marks still on that bloody Curbs & Gritt coffee cup. But I don't want him back for good. The poor bugger cannot relight my fire (sorry) nor can we be SURE anything better will come of it.

Oh and bring back Eltham John, your much more suited to that style
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember what he did for West Ham - 9/11 wins to keep them in the prem (with some help from Tevez)
  • yeap, Curbs is the only one. I hope the board will announce that on Monday.
  • He builds teams with time and a bit of money; we have neither at the moment.
  • that's why we desparately need him NOW! He is the only one can change nothing to something. I am looking forward to Monday. Dont disappoint me, my dear board
  • Personally I think this is a little disrespectful to Parky to have as a Sticky.
  • edited November 2008
    so you want to respect parky and go to league 1 instead of hiring curbs back and stay in this league or get promoted?