Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life STATBANK after 38 games...(who is going to win player of the year?)

With 8 league games (and potential play offs) to go it feels a good time to provide an update on the potential winner of the 2018/19 Charlton Life Statbank.

To recap, the Charlton Life Statbank is a collection of player marks provided by our forum members after every game. A player has to feature for a minimum of 30 mins to be marked in a game, and be marked (apps) 25 times in a season to be in with a chance of winning Player of the Year. It has been running for 10 years.

This year, there are currently EIGHT players still in the running. (we are normally down to 2 or 3 by now). Below is a breakdown of the leading runners and riders

1. Josh Cullen

Ave. Mark = 7.02
Apps = 21
Top 3 = 9
MoM = 3

Josh’s pre injury average was 6.98 from 11 apps, post injury 7/06 from 10 apps

2 Naby Sarr

Ave. Mark = 7.01
Apps = 24
Top 3 = 6
MoM = 5

All 6 of Naby’s Top 3 rated appearances have come wthin a 9 game spell between Walsall (H) and Wimbledon (A)

3. Krystian Bielik

Ave. Mark = 6.99
Apps = 26
Top 3 = 13
MoM = 7

Bielik has been scored the most MoMs and been consistent in his marks. Only 2 games has been notably performed badly Burton (a) 5.29 and Rochdale (a) 5.40

4. Joe Aribo

Ave. Mark = 6.94
Apps = 27
Top 3 = 13
MoM = 3

Since his recent return from injury Joe has scored a Top 3 ranking in 4 of his 5 appearances and is averaging a high 7.45 for this spell

5. Lyle Taylor

Ave. Mark = 6.93
Apps = 34
Top 3 = 15
MoM = 4

Lyle had a seven game spell between Wycombe (H) and Barnsley (H) where he averaged 7.55 and picked up 6 Top 3 ratings. He was looking the strong favourite for the award until his banning however, since his post-suspension return Lyle is averaging 6.64 and picked up only 1 Top 3 rating

6. Dillon Phillips

Ave. Mark = 6.85
Apps = 19
Top 3 = 8
MoM = 3

Pre-Steer, Dillon averaged 6.44 from the opening 6 games of the season (team average 6.45) and 7.04 in the 13 games post-Steer (team average 6.74)

7. Patrick Bauer

Ave. Mark = 6.83
Apps = 28
Top 3 = 8
MoM = 0

Patrick’s average has notable improved following his return from injury. Pre injury 6.60 from 8 games, post-injury 6.92 from 20 games

8. Jason Pearce

Ave. Mark = 6.82
Apps = 22
Top 3 = 5
MoM = 0

Other notable marks this season:

Jonny Williams won’t play enough enough games to qualify, but is currently polling 6th in the averages:

Ave. Mark = 6.86
Apps = 9
Top 3 = 2
MoM = 1

Jonny’s average is vs a team average of 6.72 for those 9 games.

Karlan Grant left in January and his average is currently only 13th on the list:

Ave. Mark = 6.59
Apps = 27
Top 3 = 8
MoM = 2

Dillon Phillips vs Jed Steer

Ave. Mark = 6.85 vs 6.58
Apps = 19 vs 19
Top 3 = 8 vs 5
MoM = 3 vs 4

Average team mark:

18/19 = 6.62
17/18 = 6.42
16/17 = 5.94
15/16 = 5.68
14/15 = 6.44
13/14 = 6.31
12/13 = 6.75
11/12 = 6.98
10/11 = 6.25
09/10 = 6.63

Previous Winners

18/19 = ??
17/18 = Patrick Bauer – 6.84
16/17 = Ricky Holmes – 6.89
15/16 = Alou Diarra – 6.78
14/15 = Stephen Henderson – 7.11
13/14 = Jordan Cousins - 6.63
12/13 = Chris Solly – 7.23
11/12 = Chris Solly – 7.39
10/11 = Thierry Racon – 6.47
09/10 = Jose Semedo – 7.08

Comments

• Anyone got any thoughts on that lot?
  • Having 8 players above 6.8 shows that our success has been built on a solid team performance. Cullen typifies this really, not often MoM or outstanding but consistently very good
  • Nabby for me.
  • The average marks of those nine are all within the margin of error of our marking system to be considered the same, I’d suggest, so we should award the title to all of them. 
  • AFKA, there's only been 3 meaningful comments in nearly 4 hours.
    Why don't you add their religions, which political party they vote for and whether they are pro or anti Brexit ?
  • Do us a favour @Covered End
    if you’re not interested (and you’re not), just don’t comment
  • edited March 2019
    Do us a favour @Covered End
    if you’re not interested (and you’re not), just don’t comment
    Sorry, just my attempt at a bit of humour.

My thoughts on the matter are it's very close and I'd have to wait until the end of the season to decide.
  • I think Nabby will poty vote , more due to his personality than anything else but looking at those stats you have to think if cullen hadn't had his injury he would be a shoe in
  • Sponsored links:

• Those scores from previous seasons show just how good Solly was before his knee problems. Top ranked in our title season (ahead of Yann, JJ, BWP etc) then retaining it in the Championship, with neither of his scores surpassed by anyone else.
    Solly just edged out Yann in 11/12 by 0.04, who had a high 7.35 average.

in 12/13 he won it easy by a 0.33 margin from Ben Hamer on 6.90
  • edited March 2019
    The biggest winning margin, which I think is a better indicator of outperformance than marks, was Diarra in 15/16. He won it by a huge 0.68 margin.

Holmes was also a clear winner in 16/17 by a 0.35 margin
  • I think Cullen will win
  • edited March 2019
    Cullen has been excellent, as has Bielik, and Sarr has been an absolute revelation in recent weeks. Plus obviously Lyle has been so crucial to our success. Aribo has been absolutely unplayable at times, though less consistent than the others. Couldn't really fault any of the top five winning it really. I think Nabs edges it for me. Think he's done things above and beyond this division in recent weeks. But I think there's a very good case for Cullen and Bielik. 

For me: 
    1) Sarr
    2) Bielik
    3) Cullen
    4) Taylor
    5) Aribo

Very, very fine margins though, particularly in that top 3. But a strong run-in could see any of them take it for me. 
  • The biggest winning margin, which I think is a better indicator of outperformance than marks, was Diarra in 15/16. He won it by a huge 0.68 margin.

Holmes was also a clear winner in 16/17 by a 0.35 margin
    Aw now you've just gone and made me start missing him all over again. Don't think he'd get in our team mind. But still, a lovely player.
  • Unless he starts poking own goals in and regresses back to the player we first saw at Charlton, an unconfident, raw and inexperienced footballer in a foreign country, then Sarr should win it easily IMO. Be nice for him too, he seems like a lovely chap and the 2 times i have spoken to him he was shy, but charming and incredibly polite too
  • But Sarr is a decent fourth-choice centre-back. I mean, Henry keeps saying it, so it must be true
  • Leuth said:
    But Sarr is a decent fourth-choice centre-back. I mean, Henry keeps saying it, so it must be true
    I'd rather Harry Lennon. 
  • Proper defender, Harry Lennon. No mucking about
  • I'd also say that POTY is wide open. Cullen needs to make a few more telling passes before he emerges clear. He's good at ballwinning and brings both energy and competence in possession, but I want to see him really excel at the harder stuff, namely playmaking. In fact, Sarr's potential for winning this is as much about his freakish playmaking skill as his defending.

As it stands, I'd probably still marginally give it to Taylor as he is able to make play pretty well, as well as score goals, obviously
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor with 14 goals and 12 assists has to be in with a very good shout.

Cullen with 8 assists BUT no goals, and that is the issue with all our midfielders. Just not enough goals. Aribo with 4 has the best record, but I think that is poor considering we are in the top 6 and have so much possession and chances. I am ruling all of them out unless they do better going forward.

So for me it is currently Taylor, Sarr and Beilck (who I consider to be a defender), and in that order.
  • Whilst there's no denying his entry, Cullen does make enough successful and telling forward passes.  Actually, forget the 'telling' part, he just doesn't make enough successful forward passed.
  • It is there to be won. The same as promotion.
  • edited March 2019
    How often has the CL Statbank POTY matched with the fans vote for POTY
  • Taylor for me, he is the one who has given me most hope this season that we can go up, plus he can be a catalyst for the entire team. 
  • How often has the CL Statbank POTY matched with the fans vote for POTY
    I don’t know to be honest @paulie8290

• How often has the CL Statbank POTY matched with the fans vote for POTY
    So from the Previous Winners mentioned by AFKA at the bottom of opening post its only Chris Solly (both years) and Ricky Holmes
  • Leuth said:
    I'd also say that POTY is wide open. Cullen needs to make a few more telling passes before he emerges clear. He's good at ballwinning and brings both energy and competence in possession, but I want to see him really excel at the harder stuff, namely playmaking. In fact, Sarr's potential for winning this is as much about his freakish playmaking skill as his defending.

As it stands, I'd probably still marginally give it to Taylor as he is able to make play pretty well, as well as score goals, obviously
    Agree about Cullen. Same could be said of Bielik, though to be fair Bielik is most naturally a central defender. But we haven't seen the kind of defense splitting passes that Cullen promised early on. That said, at our level, when teams sit deep, it can be hard to do that, especially with the lack of space in behind. And that's where the clever 1-2s and working in tight spaces is so crucial. Williams does it quite well when he's on form. Cullen obviously isn't quite the same type of player, and is still quite young, but could do well to learn that.

^I'm being overly critical of Cullen here as trying to take it from the perspective of POTY. He's largely been excellent. 

Also agree about Sarr's playmaking skills and general technical ability potentially being what puts him over the edge. 
  • edited March 2019
    At the moment I'd give it to Sarr based on the best tackle I've seen for years, in any league, and his all round game..