Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hall Of Fame

It is time for the annual vote to elect three former Charlton players into the Hall of Fame and once again the selections will prove difficult. From the period since 1981 there is a choice of Paul Mortimer, Scott Parker or Peter Shirtliff. From the period 1951-80 you must choose between Mike Bailey, Alan Campbell and Brian Kinsey and in the pre-1950 category we have this year gone back to the very early years for George Armitage, Scotty Kingsley and Norman Smith. There is probably nobody still living who saw them play, but their contributions to Charlton's history were every bit as important as those who followed them, so judge their achievements and vote accordingly. It is a simple on line voting process and the link is https://surveyhero.com/c/ddf639cc . The winners will be announced at the Player Of The Year Dinner on 5th May and their names added to the Honours Board in the Museum.

Comments

• 51-80 is easy for me with Alan Campbell, loved watching him play. 

The others are difficult. 
  • I struggle a bit with some of these choices.
    Do I vote for the player who I most liked to watch or the player that achieved most for the club......it’s difficult to choose and needs some serious thought.
  • Kingsley v Smith is a hard one.

• Mike Bailey - Charlton's only England player in the '60s, I believe.
  • Its nice that the HoF is concentrating on Scott Parker; the player for us rather than how he left us

Doesnt stand a chance against Mortimer or Shirtliff for me... I'll probably go for the latter because of that Play-Off game
  • Shirtliff and Kinsey for me
  • Kingsley, Bailey, Mortimer.
  • Out of curiousity are there any rules about when players from 1981 - the Present can be nominated?

i.e. Is there a set number of years since leaving as surely the likes of Johnnie Jackson / Chris Solly will be up for it one day - Also notice that we're coming close to forty years between 1981 and the present so will a fourth era eventually open?
  • Bailey, Mortimer 
  • We may need to adjust the category years soon. Nobody is eligible until 5 years after their last match. I am sure that Jackson and Solly will be included in future.
  • Sponsored links:

• We may need to adjust the category years soon. Nobody is eligible until 5 years after their last match. I am sure that Jackson and Solly will be included in future.
    So why wasn't Polish Pete a nomination then? ;)
  • Morts Parker is tough. IvactI act think I'll go for Parker, I'll take his thunderous tackles over some silky dribbling
  • If they lose the vote is there a minimum period before they can be nominated again ?
  • Only 2 that I actually saw live, out of those 2 I'd go with Mortimer over Parker. Only man I ever saw run 30 yards with the ball, beat 3 men and yet never actually touched the ball.

Those hips were ridiculous.
  • edited March 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    If they lose the vote is there a minimum period before they can be nominated again ?

Runners up go again the next year

3rd place and they are sold to a obscure club in Belgium
  • Perhaps we need a special category for Polish Pete
  • Perhaps we need a special category for Polish Pete
    Hall of Infamy
  • Morts vs Shirtliff vs Parker is a touch choice especially as first time round all 3 played a similar number of games for the club, and all in the top flight too
    Yanns last game was Jan 2014 so its been 5 years since his last game, why no nomination
    Yanns last game was Jan 2014 so its been 5 years since his last game, why no nomination

Very good player for us but he doesn't live in the same company as Paul Mortimer, Scott Parker or Peter Shirtliff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shirtliff was probably our best post-war Captain up until his time at CAFC.

We were blessed to have Kins so relatively soon after him, and then Captain Fantastic from 2011/12.
  • Doesn't feel right for me to vote on players that i never saw play, but Parker is the best player I have ever seen in a Charlton Shirt, so he is a no-brainer for me
  • edited March 2019
    I think Norman Smith more or less played for us forever.
    Maybe right from the early twenties, right through that amazing twenties giant killing cup run right through the triple promotions up to the war.
    Right back.

Yann played his last game over 5 years ago... :-)
    Yann played his last game over 5 years ago... :-)
    Thanks Colin
  • Smith, Bailey and Parker
  • Just voted for morts, so many sublime moments and goals, close call with shirtliff’ goals at St. Andrews that I witnessed first hand, but morts gets it for two spells and a longer cafc career, and, still with us. 
  • edited March 2019
    This selection seems tougher than earlier years.

Maybe that is inevitable.

1981 on:  Mortimer, Parker, Shirtliff. Morts on song was a joy to watch with his ability to beat, even humiliate, an opponent. Parker was an excellent midfielder and unreal during 2003/2004 when he often appeared to do the work of two men. However Shirtliff's contribution to the 1987 play-off final arguably kept a club in exile alive. For that reason he gets my vote.

1951-1980: Bailey, Campbell, Kinsey. Bailey had a blend of no little skill, physical presence and endeavour which was good enough to win him England caps as a second division footballer. I was very young when he played for Charlton but I could see his quality even as a small boy. Campbell, a joy to watch as our very own 'George Best glamour player' yet he did the hard work too and in hindsight we were lucky to keep him as long as we did. Kinsey I just about remember as a winger but it is as a full back I mainly saw him play. He was a thoroughly competent dedicated professional and club man even if he lost a bit of pace towards the end of his 400 plus matches. In my view any man who plays 400 plus matches has to be in the Hall of Fame so Kinsey gets my vote.

Pre 1950: Armitage one of Charlton's few English internationals. Scotty Kingsley a name I can remember my grandfather waxing lyrical about. Norman Smith for many years our leading appearance maker until Big Sam overtook him to be followed by Hewie and Peacock. As I said above about Kinsey any man who makes 400 plus appearances deserves to be in the Hall of Fame so Smith gets my vote.

Smith

Kinsey

Shirtliff