Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes - now at Southend (p4)

edited February 2021 in General Charlton
Had a chat with Ricky at the Dinner last night. What a nice bloke. He really has had no luck since leaving Charlton and has hardly played because of a serious back injury. Gillingham took him on loan in January knowing he was injured but gambling that he may get fit enough to play but this is not going to happen. He will not be lining up against us in April and thinks that his career may be over at the age of 31. We were all disappointed when he left but nothing can ever remove the memories he gave us during that otherwise unremarkable 2016-17 season when he walked the Player of the Year vote.  A top man who  has a real affection for Charlton.

Comments

• Shame to hear that. Scores some absolute crackers for us and single handedly won us points on more than one occasion. I met a few of his mates when he was with us and they all seemed good lads as well  
  • I'm really sorry to hear that. Holmes was my son's first great footballing love so I've always had a particularly soft spot for him. Best of luck for the future Ricky.
  • That'd be a real shame ifs career is over,
  • Sorry to hear that. 
  • Gutted to hear that
  • Really sorry to hear that. I bumped into him in a local pub as the Squad were on their Xmas night out a few years back.Extremely humble guy who genuinely didn’t seem to know how good he was. We spoke about Yann leaving. He said to me “but he was a good player” - not recognising his own ability.  I hope that he does recocover and manages to play a few more seasons. Cheers Ricky - as above I can only endorse. Top bloke. 
  • In full flow Ricky was an absolute joy to watch.
  • Sorry to hear this, but I'm glad he thinks enough of the club to come back for Solly's dinner.  I had spoken to somebody who knows him who said that Ricky was a bit disappointed and fed up about getting booed when he played against us for Oxford.  I hope he got to see just how well appreciated he is by Charlton fans after all. 
  • That’s really rather sad, hope things improve 
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:
    Sorry to hear this, but I'm glad he thinks enough of the club to come back for Solly's dinner.  I had spoken to somebody who knows him who said that Ricky was a bit disappointed and fed up about getting booed when he played against us for Oxford.  I hope he got to see just how well appreciated he is by Charlton fans after all. 
    He was fully entitled to be disappointed, but I hope he realised that wasn’t a majority. Great player albeit briefly for us and hope he manages to get another couple of years. 
  • Never begrudged Holmes his move to Sheff U and, as Henry points out, this illustrates why  he was right to take the chance. 

Probably was the main reason we didn’t get relegated that season under Slade/Robinson. Felt he lost focus a bit when his move was first being rumoured which meant he left on a bit of a sour note. 

Owed us nothing though and was a rare example of player who we signed at their peak rather than too early or too late. Hope he gets a few more games in somewhere before he has to give it all up. 
  • One of not many Charlton players in recent years capable of getting fans to the edge of their seat when on song.

One of if not the only bright spot of Karl Robinson's tenure.

I hope he can manage the injury and play on a few more years.
  • edited March 2019
    Really sad to learn that his career may well be over. It is never nice at all when someone has to retire due to injury, even worse when you know if they were fit they would have so much more to add to the game as he isn’t old, it’s just a real shame.

People were unfortunately always going to boo him on his return, many saw it as he betrayed us the chance of promotion. However, as proven and said already, it was his only chance of playing at the highest level he could. When players are out and having to retire, you can understand, it is a short career after all.

He couldn’t ever have been a bad guy, he was best friends with Forster-Caskey when at the club. I know for sure having spoken to many people who have dealt with Jake over time that he is a fantastic guy, so Ricky couldn’t be much different at all.

I hope he recovers, but if he doesn’t, thanks for the effort and memories Ricky when you were here. All the best.
  • Will surely wait for a good bonus/pay rise if Utd go up?
  • Always remember his hat trick away to Shrewsbury, still lost.
  • Wasn’t there a thread where quite a few were slagging him off and saying he was flash or some waffle a few weeks back .
    great player and he did what he had to do 
  • Wasn’t there a thread where quite a few were slagging him off and saying he was flash or some waffle a few weeks back .
    He was great in his first season but very average in his last 10 -15 games . Perhaps he was carrying this injury ?
  • edited March 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    Wasn’t there a thread where quite a few were slagging him off and saying he was flash or some waffle a few weeks back .
    He was great in his first season but very average in his last 10 -15 games . Perhaps he was carrying this injury ?
    That being the case, surely he wouldn’t have passed the medical required by any club who showed interest.
  • Ricky was a genuine 100 per center for us,as I recall he did not ask to leave,but Charlton accepted a bid and there you go.Wish him well and hope he has some better luck soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Wasn’t there a thread where quite a few were slagging him off and saying he was flash or some waffle a few weeks back .
    That being the case, surely he wouldn’t have passed the medical required by any club who showed interest.

Could have said the same about Andy Hunt in that final game he played against Coventry

• Very exciting player and well deserved POTY. If he has been playing with pain it makes you realise why his form deteriorated. Bless him. Hope he recovers to star again.
  • Was a shining light amid a shower of poo for us. Exciting player when he was on it. Who’s to know why he faded toward as the end but he cheered me up for a while. Good luck Ricky and thanks for the memories. 
  • Was just unfortunate for him that he returned playing for a KR team, as he got caught up in all the extra hype and emotion surrounding the fixture
  • wmcf123 said:

Could have said the same about Andy Hunt in that final game he played against Coventry

Completely different situation/injury. I agree with SoundAsa, he was highly unliked to pass a medical with that , must have just gotten worse in the last year. 
  • Top player on his day, had that spark of absolute magic to win a game out of nothing. Real shame he is struggling with injuries, fingers crossed he can find form again and maybe come back home for another golden season. Cheers Rick, all the best.
  • Shame that, who can blame any player wanting to 1) get away from Roland 2) play in a better league & 3) earn more.

Mind you I was pretty pissed  with him when he left as I was with many others to long a list to name.
  • edited March 2019
  • Also had a chat with him. Been fortunate enough to speak to a fair few Charlton players through POTS dinners etc. and he's certainly one of the nicest I've ever spoken to. Really changed my view on him, gutted the way it worked out with him. Like you said, seemed like a top bloke and hope he can really do well at Gills (but not too well as I want them to go down).