Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The demise of AddicksDownunder

Many years ago Tel inquired through the official site whether there were any Charlton supporters down under.  A flourishing group emerged  - mainly in Australia, a few in New Zealand and even one of two further afield in Europe and US.  Communication among us believe it or not was by e-mail and about 30 of us would read the messages every morning.  All this until a website was started.

we had a cracking group of members, loads of banter.  Tel remained the mainstay with what seemed like inside information.  I organised a predictions competition with over 30 participants in its heyday and this included a family of four.

in later years our numbers dwindled and until today there were only three regular contributors.  Today we have all signalled our departure from AddicksDownunder.

I am not on any social media platform.  Are there any Charlton supporter groups in this part of the world?

Comments

• I was a member of ADU for a number of years and as you say, Tel was the driving force.   The website was very basic and some of us wanted to build another but couldn't get agreement to do so.  The main reason I believe was cost, but that could have been overcome.   Gradually people got bored with the same old and dropped off.
  • Yip, NZ. Two other people i know of in my small community that are Charlton Supporters (yes it blew my mind).
  • I too was a frequent contributor and reader but I found Charlton Life.  We had a few meet up unfortunately level of interest wanned. 
  • Yep, there are three of us in Auckland.
  • Perth (never heard of ADU...)
  • @ozaddick should be around.
  • So you all come from a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder?
  • Off_it said:
    So you all come from a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder?
    And buy bread from a man in Brussels, who is six foot four and full of muscles?
  • Yip, NZ. Two other people i know of in my small community that are Charlton Supporters (yes it blew my mind).
    Where you based @KiwiValley
  • Sponsored links:

• . Raumati Beach
  • Addickted said:
    jamescafc said:
    Yip, NZ. Two other people i know of in my small community that are Charlton Supporters (yes it blew my mind).
    Where you based @KiwiValley
    My guess would be New Zealand.
    Ffs, the fella is trying to make friends.
  • Stig said:
    Many years ago Tel inquired through the official site whether there were any Charlton supporters down under.  A flourishing group emerged  - mainly in Australia, a few in New Zealand and even one of two further afield in Europe and US.  Communication among us believe it or not was by e-mail and about 30 of us would read the messages every morning.  All this until a website was started.

we had a cracking group of members, loads of banter.  Tel remained the mainstay with what seemed like inside information.  I organised a predictions competition with over 30 participants in its heyday and this included a family of four.

in later years our numbers dwindled and until today there were only three regular contributors.  Today we have all signalled our departure from AddicksDownunder.

I am not on any social media platform.  Are there any Charlton supporter groups in this part of the world?

@Blackheathen, you're on Charlton Life, is this not social media? Tel is on Charlton Life and I know from user names that there are other antipodeans on here. Why not make the most of this to stay in touch? If you wanted to keep it out of the way of the regular threads you could either post threads in the 'Charlton International' category or you could set yourself up a private group.

All, the best!

• Hi Stig, you’re absolutely right of course.  By social media I meant Facebook and Instagram, that sort of thing.

Im more than happy with CharltonLife, have been a member for a number of years and a reader a long time before that.  Don’t know what life would  be without it 😀
  • Hi Stig, you’re absolutely right of course.  By social media I meant Facebook and Instagram, that sort of thing.

Im more than happy with CharltonLife, have been a member for a number of years and a reader a long time before that.  Don’t know what life would  be without it 😀

Just be Charlton I guess
  • You were in Aus too long @TEL

Starting to whine like a QANTAS 747 engine after it's landed at Heathrow. ;)

• Sponsored links:

• A real shame. I had fun posting on there and meeting up with like minded souls. It was a shame that there were so few posters. I am now in Macedonia and I think I am the only Charlton supporter here. As admin for the ADU site i will close it down. RIP ADU FreeFreeforum.  
  • TEL said:
    Basically I gave up when I looked at the percentage of posts on the crappy freeforums website we were using. I was contributing around 60% of the posts and that didn’t sit well with me. So I decided to back off and see what transpired. I met and made a lot of friends, many of which I’m still in contact with regularly. Mick and I agreed to cover the cost of a proposed new web site but some members objected, and others didn’t want to change away from the free forums format. The real drop off happened just as we were about to get promoted under Chris Powell when nobody could gain access to the site. It never really recovered. I’ve often considered re-making an ADU site but frankly I don’t feel there is enough interest anymore. In our heyday we had 250 members, but this dwindled and whilst it still had 100 plus members the number of posters was around a dozen and as stated above the last time I looked there were three or  four “Valiant” members left.  I feel our time may come again if we gain promotion and shed ourselves of the rat. I’m still open to making a website should there be enough interest in the future. I put a lot of time and effort into establishing ADU and it certainly saddened me to see our membership wane,
    I remember you telling me that you posted so much. In its heyday my contributions were significant, over 30% I think. 
    Things change and I’ll be forever grateful for thais site, and the friends I made. 
  • So Charlton Life murdered AddicksDownUnder in the same way it murdered NetAddicks.

So sad.   RIP to both.  :(

• edited April 2019

So Charlton Life murdered AddicksDownUnder in the same way it murdered NetAddicks.

Charlton Life Out! When do we want it...now!
  • So Charlton Life murdered AddicksDownUnder in the same way it murdered NetAddicks.

Charlton Life is innocent ok.
  • I’m based in Brisbane . It’s good to know there are some other supporters about. 
  • I was one of the originals, lots of crap going on in my life pulled me away for quite a while, Leaving the forces, cheating wife (Now ex) , Dad dying and working very log hours in the current job put me into a bit of a spiral but as time moves on so do you. 
  • All the best Lee - I recall you from the past - enjoy today
  • All the best Lee - I recall you from the past - enjoy today
    Thanks mate, couldn't be happier with life now mate, I'm like a pig in shit, the play off final is a bonus I didn't expect