Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garden Fencing

Any recommendations for someone reliable who will do a decent job?

Greenwich area.

Comments

• retired from both activities, soz
  • edited March 2019
    @hoof_it_up_to_benty
    Feel free to IM me what you are after.  We have a couple of guys who are bloody great at this (currently doing one right now) so I can see what their plans are after finishing this job.
  • We had ours done recently and when we went for quotes everyone was crazy expensive and 3-4 days work.  

Then we found a company that quoted way less and said it would be done in one afternoon - went with them and the fence is fine / did a decent job.  There was one very small change we notice needed doing after they had been paid and they came within a week for no extra cost and fixed it in 15mins.

Trouble is I can’t remember their name but do know they used to sponsor the shirts of Bromley FC (back of shirts) and I got their number from an advert at the Bromley fc ground so a little detective work you should find them quite easily!

i have a feeling they may even have been Charlton fans but could have got that but wrong.
  • s and s fencing based in Chatham 

He's a pal of mine and HarryMonk and has done jobs for others on here 

Search him out on Facebook or PM me and I'll give you all the detail you need. He isn't the cheapest but he is very good 
  • Thanks for the info - will follow up. 
  • Carter said:
    s and s fencing based in Chatham 

He's a pal of mine and HarryMonk and has done jobs for others on here 
    Harry Monk? What does he use to whitewash the fence?
  • Need a lot of fencing replaced after the storms, 22 panels worth. Had a guy recommended to me come give a quote, just wanted to see if it sounds reasonable.
    Includes 9ft concrete posts and has two levels of 12" brick faced gravel boards all the way round. Total cost £3080.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't usefully comment on the quote, because the fence I had installed 18 months ago was much lower, & in NW England where labour costs are lower.

However, whatever the quote, do make sure you get  clear info about the make and grade of panels to be used so you can check they are as you would want - some are so lightweight you could make holes in them with a pea-shooter, or held together with so few nails that they will fall apart in no time!
  • There are two great companies we use, but I just can't decide which to recommend.
    You could say, in this case, I'm sitting on the... Oh
  • Have you considered,  bushes/privets/laurels. Better for enviroment wildlife birds and animals 
  • Talal said:

Includes 9ft concrete posts and has two levels of 12" brick faced gravel boards all the way round. Total cost £3080.
    God almighty two levels of brick faced gravel boards?  Do you live in a swamp?
  • Talal said:

God almighty two levels of brick faced gravel boards?  Do you live in a swamp?
    Both Neighbours' grounds are higher than ours, without the gravel boards the fence would be up against soil so wouldn't last very long. 
  • Anyone got a recommendation for the Beckenham/Bromley area?
  • If you get a good fence, I have some jewellery I am looking to offload.
  • Anyone got a recommendation for the Beckenham/Bromley area?
    Jeff at Southam  Fencing. 01689 829721. Was with Charlton as schoolboy but had to move on to the Selhurst mob. Injured so never made it. Good fence man though!
  • Can't comment on the quote but I have put up a few fences before (family member has a fencing company and I worked a summer for him when i was 18). The key really is to make sure concrete posts (and properly set in enough concrete base) and concrete gravel boards. Otherwise they fall apart pretty quick. The strength of the actual panels doesn't matter too much after that as they slot in and are easily replaced. There is actually a school of thought that you shouldn't go for too expensive ones as if there is strong wind the Panel itself will break and is easily and relatively cheaply replaced rather than them holding strong but weakening the structure.
  • I’m just going to throw in that I removed an old fence post and concrete base a couple of weeks ago, put in a new wooden one, and fixed two fence panels and it cost about £90. But I’ve really done my back in the process, so that went well. ☹️
    The fence post and panels survived both storms which is good, but my back is still f***ed.
    I know it doesn’t help, but I just wanted to complain to someone/ anyone else about it 😑😉.
    If you fix the fence yourself, mind your back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw this on Facebook this morning make of this what you will: 

• edited September 2020
    Edited, think I've found the answer to my question.